Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Christmas Shopping Fireworks (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/christmas-shopping-fireworks-59951.html)

maxthecollie 20-11-2011 17:02

Christmas Shopping Fireworks

Does anyone know why we have to have fireworks at the start of late night Christmas Shopping in Accrington. I feel sorry for all the animals who have just got over bonfire night. I was walking on Washington Street on Thursday night when the fireworks were going off. I could feel the vibrations of the bangs.

Acrylic-bob 20-11-2011 17:04

Re: Christmas Shopping Fireworks

Because we are all so americanised we have lost all contact with our native traditions.

jedimaster 20-11-2011 17:09

probably because they are traditionally associated with celebration and have been for hundreds of years. Don't worry it won't be long before the ramadan/divali etc. fireworks start going off. properly organised firework displays are a joy to watch and great for families and children. long may they last and not be ruined by a minority lefty group of people who have already systematically destroyed most of our heritage and national traditions. :mad:

garinda 20-11-2011 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxthecollie (Post 950101)
Does anyone know why we have to have fireworks at the start of late night Christmas Shopping in Accrington. I feel sorry for all the animals who have just got over bonfire night. I was walking on Washington Street on Thursday night when the fireworks were going off. I could feel the vibrations of the bangs.

It was last Thursday.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...hts-59763.html

garinda 20-11-2011 17:21

http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/357.gif

Stumped 20-11-2011 17:24

Quote:

Probably just another way for the council to waste ratepayers money.

lancsdave 20-11-2011 17:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stumped (Post 950120)
Probably just another way for the council to waste ratepayers money.

I was told it's the Arndale that pay for them. The council pay for the lights switch on stuff

susie123 20-11-2011 23:08

Quote:

Fireworks seem to be obligatory for any occasion these days and I'm afraid they are not among my favourite things.

Here in Morecambe we had Diwali for several days at the end of October and Guy Fawkes started midweek and went on till Monday the 7th. You'd think that with the fifth being a Saturday they could get it all over with on one night.

Forty years ago when I was a student I went to a big bonfire and display at Lewes in Sussex which has lots of traditions around 5 November. Someone behind us threw a banger which landed between me and my boyfriend who was standing very close. It went off in my ear and deafened me temporarlly. When I got home I undid my hair which had been in plaits and a lump came off in my hand, burnt by the firework.

And that is why I don't like fireworks. I know I sound like a killjoy but can't help it. As I studied chemistry one thing I can do is look at the different colours and work out the chemicals causing them. Is that sad or what?

Neil 20-11-2011 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 950248)
As I studied chemistry one thing I can do is look at the different colours and work out the chemicals causing them. Is that sad or what?

Yes it is, very sad in fact :p

jaysay 21-11-2011 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 950250)
Yes it is, very sad in fact :p

Wonder what she does in her spare time Neil:rolleyes:

susie123 21-11-2011 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 950281)
Wonder what she does in her spare time Neil:rolleyes:

Plays on Accyweb of course. Probably just as sad! :plaugh:

mobertol 21-11-2011 11:09

Not sad Susie -it can be a laugh a minute!;)

I'm afraid i'm one of those who goes Ohhhh! and Ahhhh! every time she sees fireworks -now that IS sad! In Italy it's only on New Year's Eve -always keep my cats in to be safe...

Remember once having read some anthropological studies about how Latin peoples in particular use fireworks as a provocation to their neighbours -there is great pride in having the biggest and best display to be seen from one village to the next...typical male thing (re:mine is bigger than yours and therefore better!) a sort of ostentation of strength if you like.:D
They show wealth and power and therefore in troubled times are a way of saying "we are alright" . Perhaps that's why there are more and more occasions when they are being used nowadays -sort of sticking two fingers up at adversity!:rolleyes:

susie123 21-11-2011 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 950303)

I'm afraid i'm one of those who goes Ohhhh! and Ahhhh! every time she sees fireworks -now that IS sad! In Italy it's only on New Year's Eve -always keep my cats in to be safe...

If we only had them once a year here I might get a bit more excited.

Margaret Pilkington 21-11-2011 11:57

I don't like them either.......the animals hate them. This year before bonfire night wasn't too bad, but in previous years there had been sporadic 'setting off' of fireworks for weeks before bonfire night......it makes it hard to safeguard the wellbeing of the animals.
I also don't like them because I worked for a spell on childrens ward at and around the time of Bonfire night.........it is a long time ago and the regulations were far more lax then, and there were fewer organised displays.......more backyard bonfires....the number of children who came to us with burns from fireworks was to be seen to be believed.......the screams when these children were having their burns dressed would chill your soul.

I think it is a great waste of money.........I hate seeing money go up in smoke.

Eric 21-11-2011 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobertol (Post 950303)

Remember once having read some anthropological studies about how Latin peoples in particular use fireworks as a provocation to their neighbours -there is great pride in having the biggest and best display to be seen from one village to the next...typical male thing (re:mine is bigger than yours and therefore better!) a sort of ostentation of strength if you like.:D
They show wealth and power and therefore in troubled times are a way of saying "we are alright" . Perhaps that's why there are more and more occasions when they are being used nowadays -sort of sticking two fingers up at adversity!:rolleyes:

I don't know if I could go along with the anthropological stuff ... I even have trouble with the weak anthropic principle;). However, exactly what kind of fireworks make you go "Ohhh" and "Ahhh":confused:;):D