Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2010, 11:37   #46
God Member

Re: Conservative Parliamentary Selection

"Front bench, back bench, I don't care, just as they're working hard for the people who elected them to office."

For heavens sake, nine tenths of the current crop wouldn't recognise hard work if it jumped up and gave them a P45, and I do not expect the next intake to be any different.
Old 21-02-2010, 11:54   #47
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Wasn't a matter of the CP getting it act together, it was CCO playing sily begers, how somebody sat in a London office knows what kind of candidate is needed here is beyond me. I wrote to Party Chairman Eric Pickles in Jan regarding the subject, the reply I got was abismal to say the least. I only hope whoever gets the nomination has plenty of outside help as they'll be getting nothing from local members who have been stitched up

The same thing could have happened to us in the Labour Party in Hyndburn. But the feeling amongst the local membership was overwhelmingly, that we wanted a strong local candidate.

And needlessly to say we feel we have got that in Graham.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 12:24   #48
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
"Front bench, back bench, I don't care, just as they're working hard for the people who elected them to office."

For heavens sake, nine tenths of the current crop wouldn't recognise hard work if it jumped up and gave them a P45, and I do not expect the next intake to be any different.
From two hard working people I'm friends with from here, they are very happy with the hard work Cllr. Jones does for the people he currently represents in their ward.

There's got to be some hope that there'll be a brighter future, otherwise the only alternative is anarchy....and when you get to a certain age, a ripped and pinned t-shirt isn't very flattering.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 13:05   #49
Super Moderator

Quote:
Currently the rest of the country is only aware of Accrington as the home of the 'Pals' and the bricks, in case no one has noticed
Without wishing to thread-wander too much, that is possibly the most erroneous statement I've ever read on here.
Old 21-02-2010, 14:30   #50
God Member

Since I have no interest in football I omitted Accrington Stanley from the list. It was never meant to be exhaustive, merely indicative. Do forgive me.
Old 21-02-2010, 14:38   #51
Super Moderator

Quote:
Since I have no interest in football I omitted Accrington Stanley from the list. It was never meant to be exhaustive, merely indicative. Do forgive me.
Alright, I'll let you off, Bob, but next time you're in another part of the country, tell someone you're from Accrington and see what they say!
Old 21-02-2010, 15:01   #52
God Member

Wynonie, after having lived in Crewe, Barnsley, London, Amsterdam, Paris, and Vienna I think I can say with a degree of certainty that I have never met anyone who has been aware of Accrington or been able to point to it on a map. Perhaps I mix with the wrong sort?

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 21-02-2010 at 15:03.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 15:03   #53
God Member

I think CCO have made a mistake. They don't appear to understand the local area at all.

However, I do think we need to give the candidates at least a chance to talk to the people before we condemn them. You never know, there might be someone in there who is perfect for us.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 15:08   #54
God Member

I would love to hear what the other candidates have to say for themselves, I expect it will be the usual trite and blindingly obvious drivel but, as you say, there may be one who shines a little less dully than the others. You will, of course, pardon me if I don't hold my breath in expectation.
Old 21-02-2010, 15:09   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Wynonie, after having lived in Crewe, Barnsley, London, Amsterdam, Paris, and Vienna I think I can say with a degree of certainty that I have never met anyone who has been aware of Accrington or been able to point to it on a map. Perhaps I mix with the wrong sort?
perhaps ya do bob, i also have lived in many places n countries, n can honestly say when conversing wi most british people who ask were ya from, most have said "Stanley" after i said accrington.
Old 21-02-2010, 15:11   #56
God Member

Clearly I have been mixing with the wrong sort.
Old 21-02-2010, 15:19   #57
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Clearly I have been mixing with the wrong sort.
Dunno mate, all i can say is had a bar abroad fer a few years,was certainly not a sports bar, n most customers natter wi the landlord.
Old 21-02-2010, 15:22   #58
Beacon of light

On Thursday last week I was in a taxi cab in Torquay....driven by a Glaswegian driver who looked tough enough to eat girders....he asked me where I was from......I told him Accrington(Hyndburn doesn't cut it at all) his face broke into a wide grin and he told me that he effing well loved Accrington Stanley...then excused himself for his bad language.
He said after his own favourite team(can't remember who they were now) his second best team was Accy Stanley.
So the football team are one of the things that put Accrington on the map....mainly because of the milk advert.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 15:28   #59
God Member

Then perhaps we would be better advised in electing the football team to Parliament. At least they don't try to work the system to their benefit...oh hang on they do though don't they. Oh well another idea on the scrap heap.
Old 21-02-2010, 16:02   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
The same thing could have happened to us in the Labour Party in Hyndburn. But the feeling amongst the local membership was overwhelmingly, that we wanted a strong local candidate.

And needlessly to say we feel we have got that in Graham.
That's what we wanted but the dickheads in London are useless, they may know whats right for a leafy Surrey Suburb, but Hyndburn (they can't even say the name right I always got Hindburn when I rang CCO) they ain't got a clue

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..