Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2010, 09:39   #166
Common Sense Member

Re: Conservative Parliamentary Selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Con Club how do you know
Rumour and hearsay, nothing more.

You ain't seen me, right?
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-03-2010, 10:01   #167
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Rumour and hearsay, nothing more.

You ain't seen me, right?
A nods as good as a wink to a blind donkey Ken
Old 01-03-2010, 10:51   #168
Resting in Peace

Just wondered if PB had been on that list, would you have still cancelled your membership Jaysay ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:54   #169
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Just wondered if PB had been on that list, would you have still cancelled your membership Jaysay ?
If PB had have been on the list it would have been one selected by our members not CCO kate, that is what the argument is about
Old 01-03-2010, 11:18   #170
Resting in Peace

Quote:
If PB had have been on the list it would have been one selected by our members not CCO kate, that is what the argument is about
Not sure about all the ins and outs of this ... they obviously didn't think he was suitable then ? ...
Old 01-03-2010, 11:25   #171
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Not sure about all the ins and outs of this ... they obviously didn't think he was suitable then ? ...
It is a difficult decision.

Just because a horse loses two races on the trot, should you risk another defeat, or is it perhaps time to think about sending it to the Knacker's yard?

At least glue has it's uses.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:38   #172
Resting in Peace

Quote:
You haven't really answered my question though Jaysay.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:42   #173
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You haven't really answered my question though Jaysay.
He's gone off line, so I'll answer for him, because I asked him a similar question.

His preferred candidate, and it seems that of most local party members, was Cllr. Britciffe. If they weren't allowed to decide on their own candidate list, Jaysay said he would resign his membership of the Conservative party, if a list was imposed from CCO.

True to his word, that's what he did, when local party members wishes were ignored.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:45   #174
God Member

As I've said before, I think this seat is up for grabs this year. It's possibly the most winnable for the Tories that it's been for a long time.

With a new candidate standing for Labour - albeit someone who many people know - there would have been a good opportunity for the Tories to take it. But, they would have only managed that with the support of the Tory campaigners and diehards who would have worked endlessly for the right candidate.

If a candidate is imposed then it's quite possible that they won't work so hard, which in turn means that they won't take it. At least if they'd got the candidate they wanted then they would have the commitment from the supporters to campaign as hard as is possible.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:55   #175
Common Sense Member

The pattern for most elections tend to turn out local winners over candidates from outside the area. It seems reasonable to expect that to have a fighting chance of winning the Conservative candidate will have to be from Hyndburn.

I could be wrong, but I strongly suspect that Graham's first-hand experience of what makes the borough tick will weigh heavily in his favour at the ballot boxes (and rightly so, in my opinion).
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:58   #176
God Member

We are, of course, all assuming that it will be one of the outsiders who gets the candidancy. Surely we're overlooking the fact that on the 13th it could well be Janet Storey who gets the members vote - if that's the case then it will be a local candidate and so presumably the local party will get behind her.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 13:03   #177
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
I could be wrong, but I strongly suspect that Graham's first-hand experience of what makes the borough tick will weigh heavily in his favour at the ballot boxes (and rightly so, in my opinion).
So do I and don't forget, the national picture is changing as we speak with the Tory lead dropping away. OK, opinion polls can be notoriously deceptive and a lot can happen between now and polling day, but I'd put money on Graham.
Old 01-03-2010, 15:06   #178
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I actually don't give a toss what THEY say it should have had nothing to do with them in the first place
Old 01-03-2010, 15:12   #179
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I actually don't give a toss what THEY say it should have had nothing to do with them in the first place
If there's so much anger locally, because of the imposed candidate list, has it not been suggested that your preferred candidate stands as an independent Conservative candidate, or would that mean he'd lose his seat as a councillor/county councillor?

Old 01-03-2010, 15:14   #180
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
agree with what yer saying, but having selected him twice before n he did not win, perhaps they thought you lot were clueless?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..