Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2010, 17:01   #256
Senior Member+

Re: Conservative Parliamentary Selection

Stan the Monkey?
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-03-2010, 23:44   #257
Give, give, give member

'And all Tories have threatened to go Independent leading to a break down between CCHQ/Region Ass and local Conservatives.
There is no effective or functioning Party at grassroots, no budget I am told they are broke (Con club sold off last year to pay debts) and several high profile Councillors are in danger of losing their seats.'
ukpollingreport.co.uk » Hyndburn

I did ask, after the candidate list was haughtily imposed on the local Conservative party, if they'd considered putting forward a break-away Independent Conservative candidate, so they could decide for themselves, who'd they prefer to represent them in the General Election.

The idea was pooh-poohed, as a last attempt was made to feign a show of Conservative party unity.

However, a friendly little tit tapped on my ever open window at Rindy Towers, and whispered the rumour that just such a plan was going to be put in place, which would have allowed the local Conservative party's preferred candidate to stand.

Unhappily it appears they missed the deadline for registering, and plans for a 'third time lucky' campaign have been thwarted.

This story has more twists and turns than a well-thumbed Jeffrey Archer, and they've not even had the interviews yet, to decide on whose name will appear on our ballot papers come May.

Roll on Saturday.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:02   #258
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
'And all Tories have threatened to go Independent leading to a break down between CCHQ/Region Ass and local Conservatives.
There is no effective or functioning Party at grassroots, no budget I am told they are broke (Con club sold off last year to pay debts) and several high profile Councillors are in danger of losing their seats.'
ukpollingreport.co.uk » Hyndburn

I did ask, after the candidate list was haughtily imposed on the local Conservative party, if they'd considered putting forward a break-away Independent Conservative candidate, so they could decide for themselves, who'd they prefer to represent them in the General Election.

The idea was pooh-poohed, as a last attempt was made to feign a show of Conservative party unity.

However, a friendly little tit tapped on my ever open window at Rindy Towers, and whispered the rumour that just such a plan was going to be put in place, which would have allowed the local Conservative party's preferred candidate to stand.

Unhappily it appears they missed the deadline for registering, and plans for a 'third time lucky' campaign have been thwarted.

This story has more twists and turns than a well-thumbed Jeffrey Archer, and they've not even had the interviews yet, to decide on whose name will appear on our ballot papers come May.

Roll on Saturday.

Cannot put an independent Conservative candidate forward it a a sick bird, or illegal, the interviews so I'm told are on Saturday. The club wasn't sold of it was taken over my member investment and is doing quite well even in this climate
Old 09-03-2010, 09:22   #259
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Cannot put an independent Conservative candidate forward it a a sick bird, or illegal
Yes, apparently the idea was put into action, but the deadline was missed.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:55   #260
God Member

No deadline has been missed. If somebody wanted to run as an independent Conservative, they could. After all the selection for the Conservative candidate has not taken place yet, so they couldn't possibly had filled in the forms for the general election. The independent couldn't state his or her leanings on the ballot paper however. As Jaysay points out, it's illegal.
Old 09-03-2010, 14:50   #261
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
No deadline has been missed. If somebody wanted to run as an independent Conservative, they could. After all the selection for the Conservative candidate has not taken place yet, so they couldn't possibly had filled in the forms for the general election. The independent couldn't state his or her leanings on the ballot paper however. As Jaysay points out, it's illegal.
Welcome back Andrew
Old 09-03-2010, 16:06   #262
Give, give, give member

Quote:
That's not what the most reliable little bird told me.

Everything possible was done, so a certain person would have been able to stand, but procedural deadlines were missed, to facilitate this happening.

As an organisation it's all looking a bit shoddy.

First there's all the bitter in-fighting regarding the Conservative candaidate list, and now this. When time frames couldn't be adhered to, which would have meant the local's apparent favourite would have stood in the General Election...if only there'd been better planning.

Old 09-03-2010, 21:30   #263
Give, give, give member

Well my little bird is 100% accurate, and never tells me lies, or half-truths.

If only everyone who pretends to know something, was as well informed.

I'll befriend anyone, me.

Even Tories.

I'm not fussy.

After all, it wasn't one of my 'reds under the beds' chums that procured an invitation to a private dinner, upstairs at the Carlton Club, with Thatcher.

As I said, I'll give everyone a chance at friendship....and reap any benefits that might be forthcoming.

Which in this case is knowing that there was a plan, for a certain someone to stand independently, and split the party vote.

(Personally I don't rate the pasta much.)

Old 09-03-2010, 23:25   #264
God Member

Well the deadline has not yet passed, as the election hasn't even been called. If your little bird is correct, then whoever the person they speak of is, will still be able to stand independently.
Old 09-03-2010, 23:47   #265
Give, give, give member

'To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant.'

- Amos Bronson Alcott.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:32   #266
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Well the deadline has not yet passed, as the election hasn't even been called. If your little bird is correct, then whoever the person they speak of is, will still be able to stand independently.
By the way, before you go off in a huff, accusing me of 'picking' on you, I'm not calling you ignorant per se, just ignorant of the facts. As my little feathered friend didn't see you at the secret cabal, unless you were under the table, when this plotting happened...over the breaking of bread (sticks).

Old 10-03-2010, 09:22   #267
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
That's not what the most reliable little bird told me.

Everything possible was done, so a certain person would have been able to stand, but procedural deadlines were missed, to facilitate this happening.

As an organisation it's all looking a bit shoddy.

First there's all the bitter in-fighting regarding the Conservative candaidate list, and now this. When time frames couldn't be adhered to, which would have meant the local's apparent favourite would have stood in the General Election...if only there'd been better planning.

Sorry Rindi I'm with Andrew on this one, if your standing as an independent, so long as your nomination papers are registered with the returning officer, by the deadline everything's in order
Old 10-03-2010, 09:39   #268
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Sorry Rindi I'm with Andrew on this one, if your standing as an independent, so long as your nomination papers are registered with the returning officer, by the deadline everything's in order
Nope.

The little dickie bird didn't mention your name as being present either, unless you were in disguise, at the cabal/pow-wow. When plans were discussed for a certain someone to stand as an 'Independent Conservative', until it was realised there wasn't time register a new party.

(Perhaps the 'little bird' isn't the most accurate euphemism. Maybe another creature would have been more suitable. Mole, perhaps.)

It really does show a lack of pluck, in my opinion.

Personally I don't stop fighting until the final bell has sounded. I'd certainly never throw in the towel before the girl in the bikini, advertising round one, had even left the ring.

It's all a bit of a shambles really. Still no candidate, whilst all the other parties are out and about, busily campaigning.

Best chance for years, and it's decided to shoot both feet.

By the way, what's all this talk of certain people being de-selected. Is this another case of watch this space?

Last edited by garinda; 10-03-2010 at 09:41.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:46   #269
Resting in Peace

You never said anything about a new party you said an independent candidate Rinds, I Could stand as an independent but even so could not use the word Conservative on my nomination forms, its illegal, and I'm not sure it would be illegal to even try and form a new party with the word Conservative in it. When Blair took over the Labour leadership the word New was placed in front of Labour, which I'm sure would have had to been sanction by their national executive, if I'm wrong I'm sure Bernard, Joan or Graham will put the record straight
Old 10-03-2010, 09:54   #270
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You never said anything about a new party you said an independent candidate Rinds, I Could stand as an independent but even so could not use the word Conservative on my nomination forms, its illegal, and I'm not sure it would be illegal to even try and form a new party with the word Conservative in it. When Blair took over the Labour leadership the word New was placed in front of Labour, which I'm sure would have had to been sanction by their national executive, if I'm wrong I'm sure Bernard, Joan or Graham will put the record straight
If you really are in the dark, you're going to have to trust me on this one.

There was a cabal, at which plans were hatched for a certain someone to stand in the General Election, and not as the offical Conservative candidate.

I can't remember all the exact details, as I was laughing so much at the time, but I do remember mention of a deadline of March the 5th being missed, which thwarted the secret plans.

Like I said, I ain't fussy about who I befriend, and would never discount someone because of their political leanings.

Perhaps it's something to do with being Master Bun, the baker's son, and being brought to want to have your fingers in as many pies as possible.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..