Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2010, 07:25   #241
Give, give, give member

Re: Conservative Parliamentary Selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
So where will the non Ossy Councillors go for the meeting
Great Harwood, Rishton, or Clayton-le-Moors, as all the others in Hyndburn have been closed down.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-03-2010, 08:20   #242
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
headline news on radio lancs this morning ... 3 executive committee members have resigned due to the shortlist being imposed on them. Also conservative hq says all 6 members of the shortlist have strong local links.
'Chairman Brian Roberts and his two deputies Marlene Haworth and Peter Clarke have both stepped down in the row.'

'...we are loyal members of the party and we are not going to complain about it. But we do not wish to play any part in the upcoming campaign at an executive level."
Tory trio quit Hyndburn executive committee in row over candidate shortlist (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Old 04-03-2010, 08:59   #243
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
How can the Tories complain about not having a local candidate if they don't pick Janet?
Because It's a fact that she has been forced on use and not selected by use, this list to me is persona non Grata period.
Old 07-03-2010, 23:40   #244
Give, give, give member

Are any of the six Conservatives, on the imposed candidate list in Hyndburn, flying under the rainbow banner of the new Tory-Lite party?

After Tory leader reveals his list of ethnic candidates, Cameron's Rainbow 1st Eleven | Mail Online

What a load of patronising, and Politically Correct claptrap.

Since we already have laws in place to protect everyones right's, and ensure equal access into public life, many brought in by this government, after years of inequality, there is no good reason to have candidate lists weighted in favour of gender, ethnicity, or sexual orientation.

The best candidate should always be selected for the job, regardless of anything as trivial as the gender of the person they might be sexually attracted to, or if they stand up, or sit down to pee.

This quasi social engineering is totally unnecessary, and is both divisive and patronising, and will win no favour from the general public, or the so called minority groups they pretend to be helping.

Last edited by garinda; 07-03-2010 at 23:42.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:47   #245
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Are any of the six Conservatives, on the imposed candidate list in Hyndburn, flying under the rainbow banner of the new Tory-Lite party?

After Tory leader reveals his list of ethnic candidates, Cameron's Rainbow 1st Eleven | Mail Online

What a load of patronising, and Politically Correct claptrap.

Since we already have laws in place to protect everyones right's, and ensure equal access into public life, many brought in by this government, after years of inequality, there is no good reason to have candidate lists weighted in favour of gender, ethnicity, or sexual orientation.

The best candidate should always be selected for the job, regardless of anything as trivial as the gender of the person they might be sexually attracted to, or if they stand up, or sit down to pee.

This quasi social engineering is totally unnecessary, and is both divisive and patronising, and will win no favour from the general public, or the so called minority groups they pretend to be helping.
Don't give a fly myself
Old 08-03-2010, 08:57   #246
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Don't give a fly myself
Since you oppose the candidates on the imposed list from CCO, are you planning on voting in the forthcoming General Election?

Old 08-03-2010, 09:14   #247
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Since you oppose the candidates on the imposed list from CCO, are you planning on voting in the forthcoming General Election?
I plan to use my vote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:20   #248
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I plan to use my vote
Care to say how?

You do know I'm not standing, don't you?

I'm not asking to know the name of the person/party you're voting for, it's just that I'm worried. I know lots of people who are planning not to vote as a protest, or are going to vote for someone not from the main political parties, which could see even greater representation for extremist parties, or chancers like the odious Kevin Logan creeping in by stealth.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:29   #249
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Care to say how?

You do know I'm not standing, don't you?

I'm not asking to know the name of the person/party you're voting for, it's just that I'm worried. I know lots of people who are planning not to vote as a protest, or are going to vote for someone not from the main political parties, which could see even greater representation for extremist parties, or chancers like the odious Kevin Logan creeping in by stealth.
Rest assured I won't be voting for the "Ranting Rev" as I treat him with the same contempt as yourself and for the same reasons. Your not stand well Labour already have a candidate I can't see a fringe party getting anywhere near winning in Hyndburn, I think the main parties will still be one, two and three
Old 08-03-2010, 09:34   #250
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Rest assured I won't be voting for the "Ranting Rev" as I treat him with the same contempt as yourself and for the same reasons. Your not stand well Labour already have a candidate I can't see a fringe party getting anywhere near winning in Hyndburn, I think the main parties will still be one, two and three
I hope so.

As stated, I know many supporters of the main political parties who refuse to vote, mainly because they're disillusioned, or still angry because of the expenses scandal.

I think apathy is going to be the biggest hurdle for any candidate, when trying to secure votes.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:40   #251
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I hope so.

As stated, I know many supporters of the main political parties who refuse to vote, mainly because they're disillusioned, or still angry because of the expenses scandal.

I think apathy is going to be the biggest hurdle for any candidate, when trying to secure votes.
With a 60% poll one of the main parties will be returned in Hyndburn can't see it being lower than that Rindi, come what may
Old 08-03-2010, 09:47   #252
Give, give, give member

Quote:
With a 60% poll one of the main parties will be returned in Hyndburn can't see it being lower than that Rindi, come what may
More than likey.

Also more than likely is that support for a far-right candidate will be greatly increased.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:54   #253
Resting in Peace

Quote:
More than likey.

Also more than likely is that support for a far-right candidate will be greatly increased.
Not by me it won't
Old 08-03-2010, 09:56   #254
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Not by me it won't
Nor me, but watch this space.

Old 08-03-2010, 16:37   #255
God Member

Is there anything to stop a cat, dog, monkey or even a dead parrot from standing as the prospective MP? I'm quite sure that the requisite number of names to sponsor the said animal could easily be arranged, although raising the deposit money may be more problematic. If the latter could be overcome, Rover or Polly would no doubt receive a significant number of votes and given the current mood of the electorate would probably win.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 08-03-2010 at 16:40.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..