Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2010, 01:03   #151
God Member

Re: Conservative Parliamentary Selection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Very nice, although I tend to stick to Joey Holt's best bitter these days.
I also have a fridge full of Alexander Keith's India Pale, the pride of Nova Scotia Come to think of it .... and to get back on topic ... well, almost ... maybe if a bunch of folks sat 'round a bong, slugging back a few brewskies, they could do a fair job of selecting candidates ... at least they couldn't do a worse job than those who chose the idiots that sit in Westminster and Ottawa (pronounced Oddawa). Even throwing darts, blindfolded, at a random list of names would be better.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-02-2010, 08:32   #152
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Very nice, although I tend to stick to Joey Holt's best bitter these days.
Black Sheep to strong these days Wyn
Old 28-02-2010, 08:34   #153
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Would that be Harriet the hypocrite, then? Brilliant! Do as I say not as I do...
Ya thts public school girl number one Wyn
Old 28-02-2010, 08:41   #154
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It's been Labour since 1992.
Since the war it was held by the Tories 1983-92.
At the 2005 General Election Labour had a majority of 5,587, though the Tories see it as a winnable seat. Something they need to do if they are to win an overall majority at Westminster.
It should be exciting...give how much general apathy there is to any politicians, and how most local Conservatives are livid, after not being able to chose their own candidate.

Tune in election night for the latest results.

Hyndburn was always going to be a hard fight for the Tories, it was made much harder since the addition f the two Haslingden wards, which are not exactly top heavy with Tory voters, but with the chance of a candidate from outside the borough it will b nigh impossible, something that seems to have been lost on the Tory Grandee, they think they can come to places like Hyndburn and teach Grannie how to suck eggs, I was probable fighting elections here when the NW area agent wasn't even a twinkle in her Daddies eye, these people have never heard of horses for courses
Old 28-02-2010, 08:42   #155
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Sadly, they don't sell in the local pubs round here, mate. Always keep an eye out for it, though, on my travels!
Old 28-02-2010, 09:27   #156
Give, give, give member

Re: Questions to Conservative Candidates

Quote:
I will be more than interested to see if you get relies from these two people Graham
If as you say many party members/activists are angry at the imposed candidate list, who's on the selection committee who'll decide on the successful candidate?

Don't want names, but there's obviously some local members who will have to decide, just wondered why they are going along with the imposed list.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 09:50   #157
Resting in Peace

Quote:
If as you say many party members/activists are angry at the imposed candidate list, who's on the selection committee who'll decide on the successful candidate?

Don't want names, but there's obviously some local members who will have to decide, just wondered why they are going along with the imposed list.
I've called for a boycott of the meeting on March 13th, If I was able to attend, which sadly I'm not, I would certainly not be there, but I've said before I have principals Rindi, and could give this selection process any creedence what-so-ever
Old 28-02-2010, 10:01   #158
Senior Member+

Quote:
I've called for a boycott of the meeting on March 13th, If I was able to attend, which sadly I'm not, I would certainly not be there, but I've said before I have principals Rindi, and could give this selection process any creedence what-so-ever
If you could arrange for the selection of the Tory candidate to be delayed until after May, that would be useful.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 10:03   #159
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
If you could arrange for the selection of the Tory candidate to be delayed until after May, that would be useful.
Nice to see a labour politician making a useful contribution on here for a change
Old 28-02-2010, 10:31   #160
Give, give, give member

Quote:
If they get really stuck, and want an impartial interviewer, give me a shout, and I'll pop along and do it.

Be funny if there's a 100% boycott, and the prospective six are locked outside on the steps.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 10:35   #161
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
If they get really stuck, and want an impartial interviewer, give me a shout, and I'll pop along and do it.

Be funny if there's a 100% boycott, and the prospective six are locked outside on the steps.

somehow i think very few will boycott, if todays "You Gov" poll is owt to go off- Lead down to 2%, doubt if the rats will desert the sinking ship.
Old 28-02-2010, 22:01   #162
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Turn my back for a day and you start discussing real ale, something I feel very, very strongly about!

You think I should put that in my election literature, John?
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:14   #163
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Turn my back for a day and you start discussing real ale, something I feel very, very strongly about!

You think I should put that in my election literature, John?
You may be better off discussing real ale in Rishton rather than politics Ken
Old 01-03-2010, 09:19   #164
Common Sense Member

Quote:
You may be better off discussing real ale in Rishton rather than politics Ken
Thank the maker for pumps at the Rishton Arms, the Working Men's Club and (dare I say it) the Con Club. We're quite well served in Rishton but still some way off the level of variety at The Royal in Great Harwood.

Try that one if you're into the good stuff, but take my advice and get a taxi. One pint will not be enough....
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:33   #165
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Thank the maker for pumps at the Rishton Arms, the Working Men's Club and (dare I say it) the Con Club. We're quite well served in Rishton but still some way off the level of variety at The Royal in Great Harwood.

Try that one if you're into the good stuff, but take my advice and get a taxi. One pint will not be enough....
Con Club how do you know

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..