Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2025Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-06-2020, 22:43   #571

Re: Corona Virus

[QUOTE=taddy;1241167]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

They want a population that is compliant and unquestioning....and it seems like they have got it.

But not with me Marge, last week we had a visit from a Fire Brigade Officer, it seems that one of our "friendly" neighbourhood Busybodies, (I have an idea who)
has complained to our local authority about smoke coming from our chimney; I showed the guy that we only burn smokeless fuel but that we are allowed to use paper and wood to light it. (one up to Taddy).
The following day our eldest daughter rang to say that after visiting us and keeping to the lockdown rules a police car had been lying in wait as she left; he pulled her up because of a complaint probably from the same "neighbourhood busybody", that she had been breaking the lockdown rules. she was not fined but it did shake her up a bit.

In response I have printed out the following and intend to put it up in a prominent position out side the house which is on the main road though the village.

Quote, "To whom it may concern, On certain mornings if the weather gets cooler I may need to light my fire,this will result in the emission of smoke "there is no smoke without fire", as the saying goes.

Please feel free to contact the local authorities,(AGAIN),if you feel that the above action is against the law.

Also my relative(s) will be visiting and keeping to the two metre outdoor ruling during lockdown,please feel free to contact the local Constabulary, (AGAIN), if you cannot find something more important to complain about.
THANK YOU KINDLY.
I wouldn't bother - don't give them the oxygen of knowing they are getting up your nose just carry on burning. I was burning some wood - after cutting down some overhanging branches. Done it when the weather went a little colder...done it late at night.... had some 'neighbour' moan about it - same neighbour who jumps in his car to go 300 yds to buy a paper in the morning.... an occasional fire is nothing compared and most of those who moan turn out to be bloody hypocrites anyway.. they aren't worth your time and effort.
taddy and monkey hanger like this.
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-06-2020, 08:01   #572
God Member

[QUOTE=Jimmy Clitheroe;1241385]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post

an occasional fire is nothing compared and most of those who moan turn out to be bloody hypocrites anyway.. they aren't worth your time and effort.
just do as i do, ignore em. the world is being totally taken over by hypocrites and the do as i say brigade.
cashman and taddy like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 08:45   #573
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I look forward to the day when people on the news will be able to meet their guests live in the studio rather than talk to folk via a webcam.

Why?

Because I'm fed up looking up peoples noses it seems that the angle they place their cameras is perfect to focus on those errant and often bushy nasal hairs that have been allowed to grow wild during lock down.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 10:27   #574
Beacon of light

Less, do not mock those uncut nasal hairs....given a smear of Vicks,(or Vaseline)they are ideally placed sentinels to trap harmful bacteria and viruses.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 10:54   #575

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Less, do not mock those uncut nasal hairs....given a smear of Vicks,(or Vaseline)they are ideally placed sentinels to trap harmful bacteria and viruses.
Does that mean if I let them grow wild I won't have to wear a stupid face mask?

O.K. I'll sign up for that.
Old 16-07-2020, 11:58   #576
Beacon of light

If you have grown that kind of facial hair you won't need a stupid face mask....you would scare all the other shoppers away and have the shop to yourself.

On the issue of face masks....for them to be effective against you transmitting viruses/bacteria/infective agents, the mask has to fit closely to the contours of the face....so the bearded ones out there are still transmitting....but that is ok....the face mask is a visible sign that you are compliant and it makes it look like the government is doing 'something'.
It is not the right thing.....the right thing would have been to stop importing the virus into the country in February by making incoming passengers go through health checks and even making them quarantine for two week...or they get back on the plane that they landed on.

It makes no sense at all to allow people to go to the pub....no mask required, but twenty minutes shopping in Asda, social distancing, hand sanitising but you have to wear a useless mask.
Totally inconsistent, but then this is the blind leading the blind and impressionable.

The government have identified factories to produce five million masks per week....these are to be sold to the mugs who think that wearing a mask will protect them(and there are a lot of people who think that wearing a mask will do that)....they do not realise that it will only stop them from passing on bacteria....viruses may still be passed.....they are much smaller than bacteria.
And, once the mask is moist from exhaled air,it becomes a gateway to your respiratory system for all kinds of pathogens.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 16-07-2020 at 12:01.
Old 16-07-2020, 12:09   #577

Yes, well, this move to make them law will have a negative effect on me going shopping (after all in normal times it wasn't something I ever did for pleasure), they want me out there buying as much as I can from shops then make entering these establishments restrictive.

All through lock down I went out and did my shopping kept within guidance, but now I intend to do my shopping online which won't help the local economy at all, after all I'm free in the pub but as you say shops will no longer will be comfortable.
Old 16-07-2020, 13:47   #578
Beacon of light

Less, I am with you on this.
I did what was required during the lockdown.
I think that I went out for less than an hour every two weeks.
But I will not be wearing a mask to go into any shops.
If this had been implemented at the start of the pandemic that would have been different.
We were told by scientists at that time that masks had little or no value in curtailing the spread of infection.....so what has changed.
Was it that Nicola Sturgeon brought in mask wearing and Boris felt sidelined.....or is it just a knee jerk reaction?.
Whatever, I think this will be the nail in the coffin of shopping on the High street.
People who have shopped online will go back to that.
Shopping is joyless and has no pleasure in it at all....I never thought I would say that.
Gremlin and monkey hanger like this.
Old 16-07-2020, 13:57   #579
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Yes, well, this move to make them law will have a negative effect on me going shopping (after all in normal times it wasn't something I ever did for pleasure), they want me out there buying as much as I can from shops then make entering these establishments restrictive.

All through lock down I went out and did my shopping kept within guidance, but now I intend to do my shopping online which won't help the local economy at all, after all I'm free in the pub but as you say shops will no longer will be comfortable.
if yeh try do it online less reckon you will struggle! we tried early days of this virus and was told we could have it in 2 weeks,nuts at our age but thats the way it was, so never bothered as starving wasnt on our list of to dos, instead i go very early morning before the chavs have got up.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 16-07-2020, 14:05   #580
Beacon of light

Cashy I think things have eased greatly since those early days.
Daughter did an online order this morning and it is coming tomorrow afternoon.
Old 16-07-2020, 14:19   #581

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
if yeh try do it online less reckon you will struggle! we tried early days of this virus and was told we could have it in 2 weeks,nuts at our age but thats the way it was, so never bothered as starving wasnt on our list of to dos, instead i go very early morning before the chavs have got up.
Ordered stuff today getting it Sunday, which is fine.

Plus, going early won't work I still won't be wearing a mask.
Old 16-07-2020, 14:25   #582
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Ordered stuff today getting it Sunday, which is fine.

Plus, going early won't work I still won't be wearing a mask.
it happen depends who yer ordering off?
Old 16-07-2020, 16:14   #583
Beacon of light

It is the mask wearing that is the problem for me.
So as Less said, going early makes no difference.
My daughter orders from Iceland and Ocado.....she has had no problems getting her family groceries.
Old 17-07-2020, 07:47   #584
God Member

Quote:
after all I'm free in the pub but as you say shops will no longer will be comfortable.
its the complete stupidity of the mask situation that gets me. why this blanket face covering in all shops is beyond me. for people like us who have turned their backs on supermarkets for weeks now just cannot see the point in covering your face in the shop that allows only 2 people at a time into the place. before i go into self imposed house arrest next week i,m going to stock up as much dog food as i can and seeds of the birds. her in the kitchen intends also to do this with food and sod the best before dates even on toilet rolls.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2020, 09:19   #585
Beacon of light

I have today, been speaking to the staff in shops and have been assured that if I can identify as having a problem that means wearing a face mask is not possible....I will not be required to wear one. You do not need confirmation from a doctor and you do not need to disclose your medical issue.
So I will be making myself a badge that tells everyone I am exempt....and I will take it from there.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..