Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2011, 10:58   #76
Common Sense Member

Re: Councillors expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Not sure how your payments work, Ken. When I was working full time and in Manchester .... was paid expenses for travel, however, if I was just going to the office and not out and about visiting customers, it was subject to Income Tax.

If this is the case with you .... short journeys, guess wouldn't be worth the time recording it, etc ? The town hall or Scaitcliffe house the workplace.
There's nothing for visiting residents (which actually takes up the most time) but each visit to Scaitcliffe House or the Town Hall for a meeting to which I was specifically invited can be logged for me as an 8 mile round trip or £4.80. If I decide to drive up to Scaitcliffe to do some paperwork or see a group member then it doesn't count because it isn't an officially scheduled meeting and all expenses and allowances are taxable

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-01-2011, 11:04   #77
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accysimon View Post
How many Councillors also work Full Time and how many do it as a 'main' job role?
The vast majority of Labour councillors work full-time although I can't speak for the Conservatives.

It doesn't pay well enough to make a career as a backbencher and although it may be a comfortable ride in the Cabinet while you're in favour you are subject to the whims of the Leader and the electorate to keep you there.

Currently, anyone who looks like the might be a threat to the leadership of the Conservatives seems to be kept at arm's length.

Old 21-01-2011, 11:21   #78

Quote:
I have quoted nothing but facts in this thread...

Do Councillors claim expenses for attending PACT meetings too?
I certainly don't claim any allowances for attending PACT meetings.

Regarding Neil's post about forgoing allowances - I am chair of Church and Central Area Management Board. The Board does not receive any revenue money from HBC (The Area Management Councils do receive revenue) - I do not claim any allowance for being chair and asked for the money to be given to the Board, the allowance amounts to £756. Cllr Pam Barton, Cllr Malcolm Pritchard and Cllr Janet Storey also do the same and their Area Management Boards each receive the £756.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 12:10   #79
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
I do not claim any allowance for being chair and asked for the money to be given to the Board, the allowance amounts to £756. Cllr Pam Barton, Cllr Malcolm Pritchard and Cllr Janet Storey also do the same and their Area Management Boards each receive the £756.
I already know this happens and I have to wonder on its legality.
Who approved that the money could be spent that way. It was allocated for that purpose and is supposed to be your allowance.
Old 21-01-2011, 12:41   #80
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Who approved that the money could be spent that way. It was allocated for that purpose and is supposed to be your allowance.
The legal team would have intervened before now if there was any question of it being illegal, they're pretty good on that score.

This is one expenses irregularity we should probably ignore for the good of the borough?

Old 21-01-2011, 13:32   #81
God Member

Just because it's legal doesn't neccessarily mean it's moral or ethical.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 13:38   #82
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
A point so categorically shown by the "Dishonourable Members" in the H of P !
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 13:41   #83
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
You're unsure of the morality of politicians giving up money for the good of their residents???

Strike a light, Margaret. I'm glad I don't live in your world.

Old 21-01-2011, 13:51   #84
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
You're unsure of the morality of politicians giving up money for the good of their residents???

Don't twist my words - of course any self sacrifice for the common good is very moral. I just draw attention to the fact that legality and morality are neccessarily the same.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 13:55   #85
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
The legal team would have intervened before now if there was any question of it being illegal, they're pretty good on that score.

This is one expenses irregularity we should probably ignore for the good of the borough?
I don't like ignoring irregularities, who knows what would happen with a nod and a wink next. The Council has a constitution that states how expenses can be claimed but it does not mention this in it. I have read the link from above and I can't find it anyway.

Why are the Area Management Boards not given any revenue budget but the Area Management Councils are?
What is the difference between the two?
Old 21-01-2011, 18:01   #86
Common Sense Member

Quote:
I don't like ignoring irregularities, who knows what would happen with a nod and a wink next. The Council has a constitution that states how expenses can be claimed but it does not mention this in it. I have read the link from above and I can't find it anyway.

Why are the Area Management Boards not given any revenue budget but the Area Management Councils are?
What is the difference between the two?
I understand that Neighbourhood Management Boards are to cease and be subsumed into the Area Councils. Graham Jones made rather a success of his local NMB and managed to secure more money than Peter Britcliffe could get his own hands on, leading to certain changes.

From speaking to councillors on Neighbourhood Management Boards they worked perfectly well. Another of the Britcliffe control-freak legacies.

Old 21-01-2011, 18:19   #87
Resting in Peace

Quote:

When I first started in politics you didn't get paid (only if you missed work) people became councillors for the right reasons in those days. I know times have moved on and its a different ball game now, but I don't think things have changed for the better
Old 21-01-2011, 18:46   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
When I first started in politics you didn't get paid (only if you missed work) people became councillors for the right reasons in those days. I know times have moved on and its a different ball game now, but I don't think things have changed for the better
I agree John. After all, no one forces people to put their name forward to stand as a councillor, it's their choice voluntarily. I appreciate that there may be some money lost if having time off work for meetings, but I know certain Councillors made it clear when they were elected that they could not and would not attend meetings before 6pm. I feel that too many people are doing it for their own gain rather than the good of the public, and these few give the honourable people a bad name.
Old 21-01-2011, 18:55   #89
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I agree John. After all, no one forces people to put their name forward to stand as a councillor, it's their choice voluntarily. I appreciate that there may be some money lost if having time off work for meetings, but I know certain Councillors made it clear when they were elected that they could not and would not attend meetings before 6pm. I feel that too many people are doing it for their own gain rather than the good of the public, and these few give the honourable people a bad name.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that Simon, I have always maintained that anybody who stands to be a councillor in this day and age deserves everything they get, and I mean all parties, you only have to see what goes on on here to realise that the general public are a very hard animal to please, after all party politics aside councillors on the whole do a very good job for the people they represent, you soon find out who are the poor ones they don't stay around long
Old 21-01-2011, 19:51   #90
Senior Member+

Quote:
It would be illegal for the Council to make a payment to the Area Council and treat it as a Members Allowance payment.

However, the Council's constitution allows it to "vire" or transfer funds between budgets, up to prescribed levels. So it is quite in order to transfer money from the Members Allowances budget to the Area Council budget, which has apparently happened in this case.

As long as it is done transparently, then there is no problem.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..