Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Councillors expenses (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/councillors-expenses-56490.html)

MargaretR 19-01-2011 20:10

Councillors expenses

I have just noticed this in the Ev Tel
Hyndburn expense claims rules to change (From Lancashire Telegraph)
extract -
The third change to allowances will see a new carer’s allowance for childcare costs for dependent children up to the age of 17.

17:eek: - I was working full time at 15 - whose 'child' needs caring for at that age?
(There is no indication that this rule refers to disabled 'children')

lancsdave 19-01-2011 20:11

Re: Councillors expenses

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 876738)
whose 'child' needs caring for at that age?

How many guesses do you want ? ;)

duggie 19-01-2011 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 876738)
I have just noticed this in the Ev Tel
Hyndburn expense claims rules to change (From Lancashire Telegraph)
extract -
The third change to allowances will see a new carer’s allowance for childcare costs for dependent children up to the age of 17.

17:eek: - I was working at 15 - whose 'child' needs caring for at that age?

It pays for thier bus fare to sign on

DaveinGermany 19-01-2011 20:53

Do believe it was mentioned a while back. ;)

Councillors Claiming expenses

claytonender 19-01-2011 21:04

''This was actually voted on at the council meeting on 7 December. The Labour Group proposed the following amendment -That in respect of carer’s allowance [Paragraph 4 of the scheme], a carer’s allowance will be paid in respect of costs necessarily incurred by Councillors in arranging care for a child or children up to and including his or her 17th birthday; and
Those additional conditions of entitlement to carer’s allowance shall be that
• receipts are produced; and
• The payment in regard to the childcare element of the allowance is for a registered
child-minder, nursery or nanny or has been suitably CRB cleared.”

The amendment was defeated, after a recorded vote.

Before the meeting I looked at all the other local authorities in Lancashire and most do not pay an allowance for children over the age of 16, or stipulate the condition that the Labour Group proposed.

garinda 19-01-2011 21:14

I know people who became very good parents aged sixteen.

They were having babies.

Not being baby sat.

garinda 19-01-2011 21:25

I totally see the need for childcare allowances, especially so in the case of single parents, if the job of councillor is going to be accessible to as many people as possible.

However, as Margaret R posted, many people are out working in the big wide world, by the age of sixteen. Some will even be working as nannies, or in other jobs in the childcare profession.

Thousands of youngsters are responisble for caring for disabled relatives, as unpaid carers, many below the age of sixteen.

I have no problem with people claiming this allowance to care for their children, but I wonder who's rocking the rather large cradle, if a councillor tootles down the lane to visit his favourite pub, say?

I hope no poor, but rather large mite, is left Home Alone.

:rolleyes:

Eric 19-01-2011 23:53

Even sixteen:eek: ... This is neoteny gone mad.

gynn 20-01-2011 06:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 876778)
I have no problem with people claiming this allowance to care for their children, but I wonder who's rocking the rather large cradle, if a councillor tootles down the lane to visit his favourite pub, say?

I hope no poor, but rather large mite, is left Home Alone.

:rolleyes:

Most 17 years olds are in the pubs themselves, so maybe the councillors could take the little mite with them and use the allowance to get the first round in.

accysimon 20-01-2011 07:35

I wonder if Mr Britcliffe will claim Carers Allowance for his daughter, even though she was, apparently, sat in the public gallery at the Full Council Meeting.

It's strange how the age increases as his own daughter gets older.

As someone has said earlier, there are many children who, from 14/15 yr old onwards, will be out in town drinking at weekends, so why would they need childcare?

To have no receipts, though, could leave it open to abuse.

Neil 20-01-2011 08:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by accysimon (Post 876843)
To have no receipts, though, could leave it open to abuse.

All expenses should need receipts no matter the ammount.

Which just reminded me to fill in my expenses from November, they owe me about £250 :D

MargaretR 20-01-2011 08:27

I wonder what the 17 year old 'child' feels about this situation.
Likely he/she has been bullied into accepting this affront to dignity- maybe even depends on this allowance being paid in order that 'spending money' is provided.
The situation is a nauseating abuse of expenses provisions.

Neil 20-01-2011 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 876847)
Likely he/she has been bullied into accepting this affront to dignity- maybe even depends on this allowance being paid in order that 'spending money' is provided.

I don't understand why you guess at that.

Neil 20-01-2011 08:55

A question to one of our Councillor members.

Do all your expenses need receipts like mine do for work or can you claim some things without receipts (apart from the allowances) ?

MargaretR 20-01-2011 09:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 876854)
I don't understand why you guess at that.

I can only surmise how I would feel if, at that age, my parents were claiming money for me to be 'child minded'.

I would feel humiliation - maybe the 'child' won't (having had the greed factor as an intrinsic part of their upbringing)