Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-01-2011, 07:07   #151

Re: Councillors expenses

A major question here, is just how much will the Labour Group stop all these 'unfair' (allegedly) expenses if they were to come to power?
Old 27-01-2011, 07:36   #152
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accysimon View Post
What is the issue of Daltons (as it should be spelt) doing printing for HBC? I know Graham Jones worked there, but he was in opposition wasn't he, so how could he have any influence over this?
I would think councillors have nothing to do with deciding who supplies food and printing to the council and it is done by officers.

I can't remember the exact amount but I think it is £500 where 3 quotes are needed for a spend to comply with the council tendering rules.

They might class each lunch as a separate spend so don't need to tender for it. I would hope they did tender though as it is £4000 a year and many local firms would like a nice regular contract like that so would be competitive.
Old 27-01-2011, 08:07   #153
Common Sense Member

Quote:
A major question here, is just how much will the Labour Group stop all these 'unfair' (allegedly) expenses if they were to come to power?
They will be reduced by quite a lot, Simon.

A few of us have been going through the figures in detail and we spend a shocking amount on individual expenses, many of which cannot be justified as they stand. The system needs reforming to reduce spending across the board and get better value for money in areas that are a little lax.

Most reforms take around a year to kick in but cutting throwaway cheques can be done overnight.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 08:11   #154
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
They will be reduced by quite a lot, Simon.

A few of us have been going through the figures in detail and we spend a shocking amount on individual expenses, many of which cannot be justified as they stand. The system needs reforming to reduce spending across the board and get better value for money in areas that are a little lax.

Most reforms take around a year to kick in but cutting throwaway cheques can be done overnight.
I wait with bated breathe Kenny old chap
Old 27-01-2011, 08:42   #155
Senior Member+

Quote:
We need a major overall of the expenses system. The Council just can't afford the amount of expenses we pay at the present. We pay far more in Councillors expenses that many Councils of a similar size.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 09:37   #156
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I would think councillors have nothing to do with deciding who supplies food and printing to the council and it is done by officers.
Can anyone confirm that this is so?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 10:27   #157
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Can anyone confirm that this is so?
I would like to know as well, Councillors must be to busy to worry where the food comes from, they must be. Well I hope they are
Old 27-01-2011, 10:34   #158
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I would like to know as well, Councillors must be to busy to worry where the food comes from, they must be. Well I hope they are
Well it is a full time job for some of them Neil, especially if they pack their day job in because they say its interfering with their political work
Old 27-01-2011, 10:53   #159
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
There's one Councillor on here that isn't too busy to worry about where the food comes from, maybe there should be a few more Councillors that could take time out and see if there is waste or extravagence that they can insist is curbed?

Another couple of thoughts about the sandwiches? Are there always enough? Are there regularly too many and if so, what happens to the extras?

In other words, does someone from the contracted company nip around before hand taking a buttie order, or is there always a massive spread paid for automatically just in case all the scroungers, erm sorry I meant Councillors turn up at once for a free lunch?

Does our glorious leader use his medal ribbon as a bib?

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 12:24   #160
Common Sense Member

There are always more than enough sandwiches to go around and I think the staff snaffle up the ones that are left. Fair enough really, they clean up the plates and make sure we have a flask of hot water ready for our brews.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 12:37   #161
Senior Member+

I can answer those questions.

1. The choice of supplier for a contract this size is an officer responsibility. Members would have no part to play. The relevant part of the Council's constitution says:-

5.1 This procedure applies to contracts where the estimated value of works, goods and services to be supplied is less than £10 000;

5.2 The relevant Chief Officer must be satisfied that the procedure adopted secures the best value for money for the Council and where practicable at least two quotations should be obtained. E-mailed quotations are acceptable but a copy of each quotation received must be retained on file.

I'm sure the relevant quotations will be available on file to any member who wishes to ask.

2. If there are any sandwiches left over after the meetings, a general call goes out across Scaitcliffe House and the sandwiches aren't left uneaten for long.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 13:43   #162

Quote:
There are always more than enough sandwiches to go around and I think the staff snaffle up the ones that are left. Fair enough really, they clean up the plates and make sure we have a flask of hot water ready for our brews.
Quote:
2. If there are any sandwiches left over after the meetings, a general call goes out across Scaitcliffe House and the sandwiches aren't left uneaten for long.
Isn't that similar to stealing Biro's?
(only kidding, better they get the leftovers than such things go to waste, after all by the time the hard working menials get to go home they'll have digested them so the butties won't leave the premises).
Old 27-01-2011, 16:01   #163
God Member

Quote:
There are always more than enough sandwiches to go around and I think the staff snaffle up the ones that are left...
I can understand if occasionally, there are surplus sandwiches.....but '..always more than enough'? Surely this suggests the council is paying more than it should for its catering services? And what the hell are the staff doing scoffing the leftovers? Should they not be at their work stations, doing the job the ratepayer pays them to do? Or are some of them surplus as well?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 16:13   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I can understand if occasionally, there are surplus sandwiches.....but '..always more than enough'? Surely this suggests the council is paying more than it should for its catering services? And what the hell are the staff doing scoffing the leftovers? Should they not be at their work stations, doing the job the ratepayer pays them to do? Or are some of them surplus as well?
I think I put it a little more gently, I wouldn't want to make it seem that every day around 2 o'clock there is a bun fight between the highly paid executives & those of lower status rushing to the executive dining area, all doffing their caps & thanking the high and mighty for the crumbs from their table.

Surely the common workers will prove themselves above such charity...
Old 27-01-2011, 16:14   #165
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
5.1 This procedure applies to contracts where the estimated value of works, goods and services to be supplied is less than £10 000;

5.2 The relevant Chief Officer must be satisfied that the procedure adopted secures the best value for money for the Council and where practicable at least two quotations should be obtained. E-mailed quotations are acceptable but a copy of each quotation received must be retained on file.
Still rather confusing.
Will quotes have been obtained, even though the annual cost is less than £10,000.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
The contract for providing lunches at Scaitcliffe House is, under the Council's constitution, deemed to be a small contract, and as such will effectively fly under the radar in terms of requiring competitive tenders to be sought.
As stated earlier, I'm sure there's nothing amiss, even though we now have a councillor with close ties to the firm contracted to do the catering.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..