Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Given half of those detained to 28 days were innocent, do you:
Oppose an increase to 42 days without charge 5 27.78%
Support an increase to 42 days without charge 13 72.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-07-2008, 20:52   #46
God Member

Re: Detention without charge poll

terrorism is like cancer , you have to take some of the good to be sure you get all the bad

im sure if you google enough there will be cases where guilty people have been let go because time ran out to question them and they went on to commit terroism

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-07-2008, 20:52   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
wasnt a girl from accrington killed on 7/7 ?

for a young tory who i assume is hoping to enter accrington polotics i do hope that it gets remembered that he is all for less been done to catch people who do things like this
So much ignorance in this thread. Disagreeing is fine but being blatently ignorant to what I am saying is another thing.
Old 14-07-2008, 20:53   #48
God Member

On the subject of ignoring - have you bothered answering my question yet?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 20:53   #49
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I talked to Rachel North, 7/7 survivor. She said 42 days would not help because it was not needed. She said doing what we've done increasing the detention is doing the terrorists job for them. All they want to do is take our freedom and they're suceeding unfortunately.
So the Tories agenda goes something along the lines of; Do less about terrorism, hug a hoodie etc?

Wow, you've got my vote
Old 14-07-2008, 20:54   #50
Give, give, give member

Quote:

They're as innocent as anybody else who is arrested and then let go.

...and can be financially compensated.

Sadly the innocent victims of terrorism don't find much use for money, after they're dead.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 20:55   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Not silly.

A fair question.

In law she had more than served the sentence for the crimes she committed.

Would you be campaiging for her release, because her freedom was important?
I think Myra Hindley would have had to be released if she hadn't conveniently died.

As you say, she had served longer than her original sentence so the government would have had to release her.

However, no government wants to be remembered as the government who released Myra Hindley.

I wonder if she really is dead or if we were just told that and she's living abroad somewhere......I don't remember seeing any photos from the funeral in the papers.
Old 14-07-2008, 21:00   #52
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
So the Tories agenda goes something along the lines of; Do less about terrorism, hug a hoodie etc?

Wow, you've got my vote
No, not at all. As I said, lock them up and throw away the key, if they're guilty.

Locking innocent people up is wrong. It creates more anger in communities where terrorism has originated in the past. Its counter productive.
Old 14-07-2008, 21:01   #53
Give, give, give member

Even this second poll on the subject looks just like your party's attempt to block increased security measures, i.e. it's failed.

How long does it take for a loser to realise he's lost?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 21:01   #54
God Member

Quote:
Detention without charge poll
i think it should be free , holding a person is one thing but charging them is ridiculous

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 21:02   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
On the subject of ignoring - have you bothered answering my question yet?
I have done?
Old 14-07-2008, 21:03   #56
Loz

Quote:
No, not at all. As I said, lock them up and throw away the key, if they're guilty.

Locking innocent people up is wrong. It creates more anger in communities where terrorism has originated in the past. Its counter productive.
Yeah but surely the point of detaining them is to find out if they are guilty?
You can't try and gather evidence on people without arresting them because you could be risking national security.
Old 14-07-2008, 21:06   #57
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Yeah but surely the point of detaining them is to find out if they are guilty?
You can't try and gather evidence on people without arresting them because you could be risking national security.
Indeed, but 42 days is too much. The crown prosecution service themselves say that 28 days is easily enough. Thats why I don't back 42 days legislation, it is just being used to make the government look tough, while achieving nothing.
Old 14-07-2008, 21:08   #58
God Member

Quote:
Quite simply because the legislation allows anyone to be detained without any evidence at all. They can be detained for the whole period 'just incase' some eviendence were to come to light. I don't think its right to do this to innocent people, it should just be terrorists punished.

They're as innocent as anybody else who is arrested and then let go.
But you haven't answered my question at all. What is it about some people that makes the police want to detain them? Are innocent people being victimised randomly? You are making it sound like the police randomly swoop on innocent people and detain them without any reason i.e. just plucking them off the street. What I want to know is why these people are plucked off the street in the first place - what makes the police think they are terrorists.

Do you have any case studies?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2008, 21:08   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Even this second poll on the subject looks just like your party's attempt to block increased security measures, i.e. it's failed.

How long does it take for a loser to realise he's lost?
Well I've not lost elsewhere. Only on Accringtonweb. It doesn't help when you're here spreading ignorant views.
Old 14-07-2008, 21:08   #60
Loz

28 days is probably excessive in some cases but not enough in other cases.
Who is to say what length of time is long enough anyway?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..