Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Detention without charge poll (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/detention-without-charge-poll-41085.html)

andrewb 14-07-2008 19:43

Detention without charge poll

Given half of those detained to 28 days were innocent, do you support or oppose increasing detention without charge to 42 days?

accyman 14-07-2008 19:54

Re: Detention without charge poll

i thought this was settled and the laws have been passed or are you just trying to stir up more anti labour thought

dont wory yourself most of us are fed up with them we dont need you to point out that they are making a cock up of things and besides i think most of us have more pressing issues than how long a terrorist can be held like price of food and fuel

if i am wrong and the issue hasnt been sorted yet please add another option - i couldnt give a toss so that everyone can vote

thankyou

Neil 14-07-2008 19:55

Why have you made it a public view vote? I suspect a lot of people will ignore this thread now.

accyman 14-07-2008 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 606510)
Why have you made it a public view vote? I suspect a lot of people will ignore this thread now.

so that if you disagree with him he can put your name on a hit list lol

andrewb 14-07-2008 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 606509)
i thought this was settled and the laws have been passed or are you just trying to stir up more anti labour thought

dont wory yourself most of us are fed up with them we dont need you to point out that they are making a cock up of things and besides i think most of us have more pressing issues than how long a terrorist can be held like price of food and fuel

if i am wrong and the issue hasnt been sorted yet please add another option - i couldnt give a toss so that everyone can vote

thankyou

Its not anti labour no, I've met lots of Labour voters, and past and present Labour MP's who are against this legislation.

jambutty 14-07-2008 20:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 606505)
Given half of those detained to 28 days were innocent, do you support or oppose increasing detention without charge to 42 days?

I voted “Opposed” because I think that it is wrong to detain someone for more than 24 hours without being charged. In fact I think that it is wrong to detain someone without arresting them for a specific crime.

But that is a typical loaded question andrewb and you could have put “Given half of those detained to 28 days were guilty, do you support or oppose increasing detention without charge to 42 days?

The fact that half of those detained were innocent or guilty should have no bearing on the issue. But you have phrased the question to push people towards the oppose camp. But then that is what politicians and prospective politicians do when they favour a particular result and look to the electorate to go along with that view.

andrewb 14-07-2008 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 606510)

So that neither those for or against can say the poll is fixed as has been accused of national polls.

accyman 14-07-2008 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewb (Post 606517)
Its not anti labour no, I've met lots of Labour voters, and past and present Labour MP's who are against this legislation.

but is this poll relevant , we have had it before and discussed all the views from how an innocent man can be held without charge been disgusting to hold them as long as it takes to catch a terrorist

entwisi 14-07-2008 20:05

I'd rather the goverment focussed on locking up for more than 42 days all the thieves, gun/knive carrying kids, and general ruffian/anti social crowd.

garinda 14-07-2008 20:06

Please vote to support the increase, in the hope that someone will eventually get the message.;)

Even though, like Dickie Davis's by-election, it's all fairly pointless now, as the government won the vote to increase the time of suspected terrorists could be held without charge from 28 to 42 days.

Gayle 14-07-2008 20:06

Well I refuse to vote - the whole bye election was a fiasco and so is this.

accyman 14-07-2008 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 606524)
I'd rather the goverment focussed on locking up for more than 42 days all the thieves, gun/knive carrying kids, and general ruffian/anti social crowd.

in agreement here

lancsdave 14-07-2008 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 606526)

And if the poll is supposed to back up DD's stance then it's flawed anyway. It's only dealing with one subject when he 'allegedly' stood on many subjects :D

garinda 14-07-2008 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 606526)

Vote in support then, as a protest.

Unlike the fiasco of a by-election we don't have the option of voting for a selection of other nutters.:D

Gayle 14-07-2008 20:09

I'm writing my protest placards as we speak.