Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Detention without charge poll (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/detention-without-charge-poll-41085.html)

andrewb 14-07-2008 23:09

Re: Detention without charge poll

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loz (Post 606798)
Yeah but you support somebody who does and have kicked up such a fuss about supporting him over the 42 day detention ruling.
Can't you see the hypocrisy?

Davis isn't pushing it through parliament. It is simply his view on guilty murderers, its quite clear its not practical to implement the death penalty for reasons you suggested.

Loz 14-07-2008 23:11

Where have i said to bring back the death penalty?
I am totally against it like you.

andrewb 14-07-2008 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loz (Post 606807)
Where have i said to bring back the death penalty?
I am totally against it like you.

I never said anyone was? I said it was Davids view that guilty should be put to death... but its not practical because as you said you could be killing innocent people?

BERNADETTE 14-07-2008 23:14

With DNA as it is today do you not think that the death penalty is an option??

andrewb 14-07-2008 23:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 606809)
With DNA as it is today do you not think that the death penalty is an option??

No.

Loz 14-07-2008 23:16

Sorry i will hold my hand up over my last post.
Read it wrong!:o

Mancie 14-07-2008 23:19

I hate the Tories and don't belive them when they say they will repeal the 42 days..but it bothers me that this law could spread to any suspects being held for any more minor crimes without charge for long periods

accyman 14-07-2008 23:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mancie (Post 606814)
I hate the Tories and don't belive them when they say they will repeal the 42 days..but it bothers me that this law could spread to any suspects being held for any more minor crimes without charge for long periods

then that would rightfully be somthing to be concerned about if it was to happen but as it stands its only for terrorist suspects which is fine with me , im sure public opinion would shift rather rapidly if teh law spread to holding anyone indefinatly for other crimes

jaysay 15-07-2008 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by accyman (Post 606820)
then that would rightfully be somthing to be concerned about if it was to happen but as it stands its only for terrorist suspects which is fine with me , im sure public opinion would shift rather rapidly if teh law spread to holding anyone indefinatly for other crimes

The trouble is AM that you can be arrested for spitting in the street and be detained under he terrorism act if the powers that be see fit

cashman 15-07-2008 11:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 606934)
The trouble is AM that you can be arrested for spitting in the street and be detained under he terrorism act if the powers that be see fit

thats taking things to the extreme, have ya got n example of this.:rolleyes:

jambutty 15-07-2008 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loz (Post 606773)
At least if innocent people are locked up they can get on with their lives afterwards.

Would that be the life where they have lost their job, got behind with the mortgage or rent and the energy companies breathing down their neck for payment?

Loz 15-07-2008 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 607033)
Would that be the life where they have lost their job, got behind with the mortgage or rent and the energy companies breathing down their neck for payment?

I'm not saying it wouldn't affect your life in a big way but at least you would have life!
You can rebuild your life slowly but surely if you are wrongfully arrested but not if you are dead!

cashman 15-07-2008 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 607033)

to the best of my knowledge most of these people do not have mortgages, they tend to buy property in other ways.:confused: unless i am badly misinformed.

jambutty 15-07-2008 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 607030)
thats taking things to the extreme, have ya got n example of this.:rolleyes:

The point being made is that the authorities have taken unto themselves powers that could be used not just for suspect terrorists.

Local authorities now have the power to monitor and listen to your phone calls and read your emails and maybe even read your posts on this forum. You will never know if they are doing so until the day that you are arrested for something.

The Big Brother scenario draws ever closer.

Did you know that local authorities are selling extracts from the Electoral Register to businesses?

A couple of years or so ago you could access the Electoral Register from the Hyndburn/ Blackburn web sites. You can’t today, although you can have a look at the Town Hall office that holds the records.

Why is that do you suppose? It wouldn’t have anything to do with the fact that the Electoral Register is being sold and to have it on the Internet means that no one would want to pay when it was free to view on the Internet.

The government, to their rare credit, is trying to make local authorities stop this practice.

jambutty 15-07-2008 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loz (Post 607036)
I'm not saying it wouldn't affect your life in a big way but at least you would have life!
You can rebuild your life slowly but surely if you are wrongfully arrested but not if you are dead!

So it’s OK to destroy a person’s life on a suspicion?

You would have a different view if it happened to you.