Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Did Graham Jones make the right vote, in your opinion?
Yes, he made the right vote. 5 10.87%
No, he didn't make the right vote. 41 89.13%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2011, 17:46   #166
Beacon of light

Re: Did Graham Jones do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
Ohh, if only, if only. No wonder the mandarins in Whitehall are not too keen on Mr Salmond and his referendum. Can you imagine the amount of work they would be landed with, in having to renegotiate every treaty signed and still effective over the last three hundred years.

Frau Doktor Merkel was right the other day when she indicated that the alternative to saving the euro and the eu was potential conflict. But as with most euro pols. she is months behind the curve. Change, conflict driven or otherwise is on its way and cannot be stopped. It will make no difference how much money is thrown down the gaping maw of the banking system. As Omar Khayyam put it in the eleventh century:

"The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it. "

And the words that the moving finger wrote...
" j' accuse! "

Absolutely right. Europe is being governed by a committee......a pretty poor one at that, because the only people who seem to be getting a say in things are France and Germany.
If I were Silvio Berlusconi I would be very worried......the Franco-German dagger is pointing in his direction. How long will it be before all the PM's in the EU countries are replaced by people who are sanctioned by Sarkozy And Merkel? Puppets who will dance to the tune played by these two?

I cannot understand why the French and German people want to keep on dipping their hands into their pockets to support a system which is so obviously flawed.....throwing money at the situation is never going to work.
Europe/ the EU/ the single currency should be disbanded.

And as for the cry 'it is too difficult to get out of the EU'.......why? Angela Merkel was talking about throwing Greece out of the EU and the single currency if they carried out their plans for a referendum.....so, so much for it being difficult.
What can we do to get thrown out?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-11-2011, 18:30   #167
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Possibly as a little 'hors d'oeuvres' some of you may wish to read this:

Greek wage cuts teach grim lesson

It's no wonder the Chinese were not prepared to bailout the Eurozone when you have nonsense like this. But - bailout aside - we as UK taxpayers are continuing to pay for this, simply on the basis that Greece is the second largest net recipient of EU money. They were the largest until a couple of years ago when Poland took the crown. I've no doubt there are now similar horror stories there.

Still, you never know, when Greece finally goes belly up some of these drivers might come over here to work the Todmorden Curve line, with a little hardship sweetner thrown in. No doubt GJ will be fully supportive of this measure
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 19:04   #168
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Possibly as a little 'hors d'oeuvres' some of you may wish to read this:

Greek wage cuts teach grim lesson

It's no wonder the Chinese were not prepared to bailout the Eurozone when you have nonsense like this. But - bailout aside - we as UK taxpayers are continuing to pay for this, simply on the basis that Greece is the second largest net recipient of EU money. They were the largest until a couple of years ago when Poland took the crown. I've no doubt there are now similar horror stories there.

Still, you never know, when Greece finally goes belly up some of these drivers might come over here to work the Todmorden Curve line, with a little hardship sweetner thrown in. No doubt GJ will be fully supportive of this measure
No doubt what so ever T it will EdMils edict to all his storm troopers
Old 07-11-2011, 21:32   #169
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
No doubt what so ever T it will EdMils edict to all his storm troopers
You're so unhip.

Simply every cosmopolitan cool dude knows it's 'EdM'.

Tut.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:44   #170
Resting in Peace

Quote:
You're so unhip.

Simply every cosmopolitan cool dude knows it's 'EdM'.

Tut.

Sorry
Old 08-11-2011, 19:40   #171
Beacon of light

It seems like Silvio Berlusconi is going to be forced to resign.(something t hat I felt would happen)
He has been something of a clown, but it is a great worry that Frau Merkel and Monsieur Sarkozy will want someone in his place who will fulfill the aims of the pernicious EU.......they will choose(perhaps covertly) who is suitable to run Italy rather than the italian people. Yet another blow to democracy.

So Graham, do you still think you made the right choice?
Old 08-11-2011, 21:54   #172
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
So Graham, do you still think you made the right choice?
Er..yes he does.

The argu...whoops, reasoned debate has been continuing on Facebook.

'Britain desperately needs the E.U.'

'Britons don't need no democratic referendum, no matter what I said previously.'

Get the picture?

Sure you do.

Still no need for you to sign up Marg.

Same old, same old.

Old 08-11-2011, 22:50   #173
God Member

well i suppose if we loose hyndburn as a constituency one small blessing will be 1 less vote against the people of this country having a say in things and one MP less that thinks he is above everyone else and thinks he has the right to over rule the majority

cant wait to see how he tries to spin his way out of this

wether or not we are better off in the EU it isnt up to him or his pals to decide.The decision to stay or leave the EU shoudl be made by the people of this country not a few self centered idiots who think they know whats best for us

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 08-11-2011 at 22:52.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 22:54   #174
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Er..yes he does.

The argu...whoops, reasoned debate has been continuing on Facebook.

'Britain desperately needs the E.U.'

'Britons don't need no democratic referendum, no matter what I said previously.'

Get the picture?

Sure you do.

Still no need for you to sign up Marg.

Same old, same old.

As i very rarely go on Facebook, i assume that quite a few of his respondants aint from Hyndburn? Thats fine he aint gotta convince them. so long as graham bears in mind, its a damn site easier going up,than coming back down.
Old 08-11-2011, 23:01   #175
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
As i very rarely go on Facebook, i assume that quite a few of his respondants aint from Hyndburn? Thats fine he aint gotta convince them. so long as graham bears in mind, its a damn site easier going up,than coming back down.
wont answer on here because the poll shows he is wasting his breath

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 23:02   #176
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
wont answer on here because the poll shows he is wasting his breath
I know but he keeps looking.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:44   #177
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I know but he keeps looking.
Ya he's playing peek-a-boo cashy
Old 09-11-2011, 16:28   #178
God Member

He's trying to convince himself that the public (vis his constituents) like himself care little for this issue as seen in every opinion pole about it. It seems that in the two weeks since this discussion began the EuroSkeptics have lost the argument and to a degree lost his support by the lack of a credible alternative and then switching from empirical argument to personal criticism...
Taken from his own pubblished words from the Facebook exchange with Garinda. His profile is open for anyone to see.

What really saddens me is his conviction that people didn't vote for him personally at the last election but instead voted for a manifesto .. in my experience people vote with their hearts as well as their heads AND above all for the person who they think will represent them best, not for a party machine. I wonder how many of the electorate actually sat down and read every dotted "i" and crossed "t" of the party manifesto's?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 16:46   #179
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
He's trying to convince himself that the public (vis his constituents) like himself care little for this issue as seen in every opinion pole about it. It seems that in the two weeks since this discussion began the EuroSkeptics have lost the argument and to a degree lost his support by the lack of a credible alternative and then switching from empirical argument to personal criticism...
Taken from his own pubblished words from the Facebook exchange with Garinda. His profile is open for anyone to see.
Though Graham did end his last message, in our little exchange, by saying he is 'appreciative of my support'.

I'd hate to think just how relentlessly badgering and angry I'd be, if I no longer supported him.

Old 09-11-2011, 17:15   #180
Beacon of light

The people of Hyndburn did vote for Graham, the person.......because he had a very good reputation for hard work and listening to the electorate of his ward. Of working for the people who put him where he is in politics

They did not vote for the Labour party manifesto....and Graham if you think they did, you are deluding yourself. The electorate was sick of the Labour party, their lying, double dealing tactics....which is why they were ousted from power.

I am pretty sure those who voted for him in the general election trusted his reputation to be carried over into the work he was planning to do at Westminster.
How very disappointed they must be to see their views and opinions disregarded in a cavalier fashion.

How sad they must be to realise that we have as our representative in Westminster, someone who is no different from the lot that were thrown out, as being unfit for purpose.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..