Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What would you vote if we had a referendum?
I vote Britain leaves the European Union. 20 66.67%
I'm happy with the present situation. 4 13.33%
I vote we keep some independence, but have economic ties. 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 17:03   #31
God Member

Re: European poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Then you should have voted for opion 3.
Well option 3 you said was to become more independent of the EU not leave it. Nevermind
Old 01-09-2009, 17:03   #32
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
No you can't if your a farmer that relies on 80% of their income from the C.A.P...and no you can't when and if the currency betting boys in the City decide to make an run on the pound.
Yes you can.

As for economic subsidies, that encourages and pays for food and drink that will sometimes never be eaten or drank, that is morally, and economically wrong.

On this I'm with the free market economists. If you can't produce something that someone is willing to purchase, then you should cease production, and not rely on monies raised from elsewhere to artifically subsidise you.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 17:05   #33
God Member

Quote:
No you can't if your a farmer that relies on 80% of their income from the C.A.P...and no you can't when and if the currency betting boys in the City decide to make an run on the pound.
With the so called financial genius at the helm, why have we had a run on the pound by our so called partners.
If farmers were allowed to grow for self sufficiency and not be tied to EU rules, subsidies would not be required.
CAP is something we all pay into and gain little benefit.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 17:10   #34
God Member

This country is not under the rule of any right wing/left wing super power.. it is not real..to compare the EU to the Soviet Union is not worth talking about..there have never been any regulations or laws imposed on this country or any other country in the EU that cannot be disregarded or vetoed by any country..non..this country has taken on the agreements signed in 1992 and further rattified those agreements in 1999 .. but no natoin or Union can tell us what to do and that's the reality.. if this or any Government decide to play along with these agreements then it's down to to them.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 17:34   #35
Give, give, give member

Quote:
This country is not under the rule of any right wing/left wing super power.. it is not real..to compare the EU to the Soviet Union is not worth talking about..there have never been any regulations or laws imposed on this country or any other country in the EU that cannot be disregarded or vetoed by any country..non..this country has taken on the agreements signed in 1992 and further rattified those agreements in 1999 .. but no natoin or Union can tell us what to do and that's the reality.. if this or any Government decide to play along with these agreements then it's down to to them.
We have the situation that people unhappy with the verdicts of a British court, can now take their appeal further, to a European court, and their rulings then take precendence over British law.

This situation wasn't envisaged when we voted to enter the Common (economic) Market in the seventies.

Old 01-09-2009, 17:48   #36
God Member

Quote:
We have the situation that people unhappy with the verdicts of a British court, can now take their appeal further, to a European court, and their rulings then take precendence over British law.

This situation wasn't envisaged when we voted to enter the Common (economic) Market in the seventies.
An appeal may be taken further to the european court but it is not true that any ruling by that court must to be applied by a British government..there have been cases where this government have disregarded european court rulings and there always will be because we are not ruled by the EU.. some seem to think we are but they are poorly informed.
Old 01-09-2009, 17:55   #37
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
I''m in favour of this Country being in the European Union/Community. I'm certainly not in favour of abuses such as you mention.

I don't see why anomalies such as these can't be sorted out without resorting to the drastic step of leaving Europe.
They may be "abuses" to you and me but they're not "abuses" to our new masters in Brussels. It is perfectly legal within EU rules to come to this country from any other EU country without let or hinderance and to claim benefit for children in your country of origin. So, as they're not "abuses" there's very little chance of them being sorted out.
Old 01-09-2009, 17:55   #38
God Member

So far the only two people who want to remain in the EU and are happy as it currently is are both Labour councillors. Heh..
Old 01-09-2009, 18:08   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
They may be "abuses" to you and me but they're not "abuses" to our new masters in Brussels. It is perfectly legal within EU rules to come to this country from any other EU country without let or hinderance and to claim benefit for children in your country of origin. So, as they're not "abuses" there's very little chance of them being sorted out.
It does seem anomaly, to vote to keep the status quo, and to accept that there are abuses.

Abuses both major parties seem happy to ignore, and hence the increased support for extremism.

Old 01-09-2009, 18:10   #40
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
So far the only two people who want to remain in the EU and are happy as it currently is are both Labour councillors. Heh..
I just had to check who you meant.

I thought Cllr. Mancie and Cllr. Cashy were sticking to party guidelines.

Old 01-09-2009, 18:10   #41
God Member

Quote:
Well at least they've had the balls to do it... it's pretty easy for those who have not been elected and are not involved in making decisions to abstain or vote for whatever takes their fancy.. what say the elected Tories who are quick to stick their badge onto something but never deleliver?
Old 01-09-2009, 18:11   #42
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, they wouldn't be Tory councillors would they, as none of 'em have the bottle to join Accyweb.
Old 01-09-2009, 18:13   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Well, they wouldn't be Tory councillors would they, as none of 'em have the bottle to join Accyweb.
You forget Peter Britcliffe has joined Accy Web, and posted twice, under the username of HisMaster'sVoiceHBC, or some such nonsense, and has confirmed it is indeed himself.

Old 01-09-2009, 18:16   #44
Super Moderator

Quote:
It does seem anomaly, to vote to keep the status quo, and to accept that there are abuses.

Abuses both major parties seem happy to ignore, and hence the increased support for extremism.
The whole EU ignores financial abuses on a monumental scale, involving billions of our hard-earned taxes. That's why its own auditors have refused to sign off EU accounts for 12 years running. Hardly an "anomaly" that can be "sorted out" in Bernard's words!
Old 01-09-2009, 18:18   #45
Super Moderator

Quote:
You forget Peter Britcliffe has joined Accy Web, and posted twice, under the username of HisMaster'sVoiceHBC, or some such nonsense, and has confirmed it is indeed himself.
Yes, but we don't talk about that, because Andrew will start getting upset!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..