Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: What would you vote if we had a referendum?
I vote Britain leaves the European Union. 20 66.67%
I'm happy with the present situation. 4 13.33%
I vote we keep some independence, but have economic ties. 6 20.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 00:12   #76
God Member

Re: European poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
There are problems, but these are problems that if the will was there could be sorted. And in my view doesn't mitigate against the concept of the European Union, which I think is a correct concept.

I'm essentially an internationalist, and we have seen all too frequently in the last century what can happen when countries adopt an insular stance.
I'm all for liberalism as opposed to isolationist protectionism but there is no reason why any other country should have the ability to decide our domestic policy. That is for our parliament to do. There is never going to be a perfect voting system but what we have here in this country is a damn sight more accountable than having Brussels decide on what happens within our supposed sovereign nation. I cannot accept this tireless 'we can sort it from within'. It'd be a good argument if that was the mutual feeling of the governments of other member states and of course that of the commission, the unelected body of the EU that reigns supreme over policy initiation. The reality is that the vested interests of the EU want an ever closer political integration of Europe, whether we like it, want it, or not.
Old 02-09-2009, 00:12   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Before you turn into a Sun reading, little Englander, Tory loudmouth, who wants to put the superlative 'great' back into Britain.

Let's just clear up that the great in front of Britain, is an adjective referring to our size, and that we are indeed larger than Britannia Minor, which is northwestern France.

yes reference to "Great" Britain is geographic..but over many years it has become to mean something else..you can stick France up your whatamecallit as I've heard you have done in the past... but unlike you I don't like the slippery slope history tells us that to become a nation of intolorence leads to murder, genocide, and any other perversion you can think up.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 00:12   #78
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

i detest the BNP wi a passion Mancie, yet i understand why some reach fer em, if ya can't grasp it yer on a loser mate.
Old 02-09-2009, 00:16   #79
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i detest the BNP wi a passion Mancie, yet i understand why some reach fer em, if ya can't grasp it yer on a loser mate.
maybe on a loser Cashy but I learnt your on one side or the other..they don't take any prisoners.
Old 02-09-2009, 00:21   #80
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
maybe on a loser Cashy but I learnt your on one side or the other..they don't take any prisoners.
anyone wi a grain of sense knows that......... but you n i both know theres quite a few numpties about.
Old 02-09-2009, 00:31   #81
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
anyone wi a grain of sense knows that......... but you n i both know theres quite a few numpties about.
yep..and that is why people who are marked down as "do gooders" dig in.

Last edited by Mancie; 02-09-2009 at 00:33.
Old 02-09-2009, 00:41   #82
Give, give, give member

Quote:
It's ot really any use in going on about how much people hate the BNP and would never vote for them..yet in the same breath people are saying they "understand" the reasons for voting for a party who's sole aim is to rid this country of anyone that is non-white..no if's or buts if you are not deemed as white then you can't even join these political party's..anyone who says they "understand" the reasons why anyone leans towards these groups are taking what may seem an easy way out but would end in disaster.
there is no excuse..it's plain and simple.. there are some that want things all lovely and rosey but it don't work that way..no sitting on the fence..take it or leave it.
Don't be so stupid.

Of course you can see the reasons why people might be tempted to extremism at either end of the political spectrum, even if you can't see the appeal, only the dangers, yourself.

History could very well repeat itself. The German people felt downtrodden, as well as hungry, after the punative measures that werre imposed on them after the Treaty of Versailles.

The situation was ripe for exploitation by extremist parties, who offered scapegoats and the promise of a brighter future. At one time the extreme left could have taken control, just as the right ultimately did under Hitler.

Just because you can see what's happening doesn't mean you agree with it, and shouldn't try and stop it from happening.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 00:43   #83
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
yep..and that is why people who are marked down as "do gooders" dig in.
know what yer saying, used to be the same meself,then the penny dropped, that can be as dangerous as the numpties.
Old 02-09-2009, 00:46   #84
God Member

It's all gone off the original poll..prety obvious that most people would like to leave the EU right now today...so whatever happens with the Lisbon treaty, a treaty that may have a few admenments but is near enough sorted.. the most of the population don't like it... when the tories get in power next year is it their manifesto to repeal any agreements signed in Lisbon?
Old 02-09-2009, 00:48   #85
Give, give, give member

Quote:
..you can stick France up your whatamecallit as I've heard you have done in the past... but unlike you I don't like the slippery slope
Racist and homophobic in one post.

My, my, aren't you the very picture of a liberal, all welcoming, embracing diversity, modern Briton.

I always find it wise to practice what I preach. Then you can't be labelled a hypocrite, you hypocrite.

Old 02-09-2009, 00:52   #86
Give, give, give member

Mancie, why do you never learn?

Everytime you resort to your crass abuse, any good things you might have said also look like they aren't credible.

Sadly you're a fool.

Old 02-09-2009, 00:58   #87
God Member

Quote:
Don't be so stupid.

Of course you can see the reasons why people might be tempted to extremism at either end of the political spectrum, even if you can't see the appeal, only the dangers, yourself.

History could very well repeat itself. The German people felt downtrodden, as well as hungry, after the punative measures that werre imposed on them after the Treaty of Versailles.

The situation was ripe for exploitation by extremist parties, who offered scapegoats and the promise of a brighter future. At one time the extreme left could have taken control, just as the right ultimately did under Hitler.

Just because you can see what's happening doesn't mean you agree with it, and shouldn't try and stop it from happening.
I never said people will not be swayed or influenced by any party..OK I meant I don't like the look of ..or would like to be involved with a Nation that left the EU because of some gripe about romanians or stuff pelted out by the Daily Mail..I think if we seperated from Europe we could end up in more desperation.. and end up with an extreme right/left wing voted in goverment that would lead to destruction.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:02   #88
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I never said people will not be swayed or influenced by any party..OK I meant I don't like the look of ..or would like to be involved with a Nation that left the EU because of some gripe about romanians or stuff pelted out by the Daily Mail..I think if we seperated from Europe we could end up in more desperation.. and end up with an extreme right/left wing voted in goverment that would lead to destruction.
That makes no sense.

You'd be wiser going to bed, and fingering through Barbara Cartland.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:05   #89
God Member

Quote:
Mancie, why do you never learn?

Everytime you resort to your crass abuse, any good things you might have said also look like they aren't credible.

Sadly you're a fool.
get to F838rlk.. I don't say good things..and if you want to point out that fact then OK..get yer handjob off the butler ..go bed and leave me alone you plum!
Old 02-09-2009, 01:09   #90
Give, give, give member

Quote:
get to F838rlk.. I don't say good things..and if you want to point out that fact then OK..get yer handjob off the butler ..go bed and leave me alone..diphead.
I rest my case.

The sad thing is when you're sober you probably regret undermining your own arguments, with resorting to imbecilic name calling.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..