Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-05-2005, 13:02   #136
God Member

Re: Fairground ride imported for Mayor making weekend in May

Looks like an accident waiting to happen (hopefully it won't). Did not several contibutors - I think Chav was one - remark on the size of this thing and the problems in fitting it in to Broadway?

Mayor Making? This is an exercise in making madness!

Last edited by Tealeaf; 19-05-2005 at 13:10.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-05-2005, 13:06   #137

Thumbs down Re: Fairground ride imported for Mayor making weekend in May

Doesn't it look ridiculous all those rides crammed into such a small place. How it could cost £35000 is beyond me. The money would have been better spent on a FREE spud pie & peas for all. I for one wont be going on broadway again till it's gone.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 14:18   #138
Resting in Peace

took these this afternoon
They do look very close to the shops !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (35.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (47.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (73.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (67.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (59.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (66.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (69.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (67.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (63.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (45.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Mick; 19-05-2005 at 14:19.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 14:53   #139
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
I have just come back from town , wot a shambles,the rides are too near the shops by half. i ask you whose idiotic idea was it to put it there ? i couldn't get home quick enough.
same boat as you mez,my lass was goin dizzy comin out of the shops- we beat it home pretty quick,totally stupid idea.wont be goin again till the sodding things have vanished.
Old 19-05-2005, 15:10   #140
God Member

One wonders how someone who is disabled or who is blind is supposed to navigate their way through this obstacle course.

One additionally wonders if the "Cabinet" may well have exceeded it's statutory authority in funding this nonsense.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 15:24   #141
Senior Member+

I was in town this morning and thought the fun fair was the most stupid thing that HBC has come up with for some time. A total eyesore, no doubt we will have even more damage to the pavement than before. Maybe a chunk of the cost of this thing is going to be spent on repairs.
Old 19-05-2005, 17:39   #142
Senior Member+

Well,what a fun day as a trader on Broadway! There is a "hook a duck" stall right in our doorway! The one outside Poundland is even closer to them.Our head office are looking into this farce as our takings today are down around 35% from a normal Thursday. Everyone leaving the Arndale by the entrance near Boots takes one look at the shambles ahead of them and heads away from the shops.Nice one HBC! Let's not forget the "continental market" outside our own Market Hall where you can bag yourself a "bargain" loaf for only....£3!!!!
The only things breath-taking about this are the petrol fumes from the generators and the smell of S**t hitting fans when traders realise how much this has cost them!
Oh,and by the way,the fair is open till 10pm at nights so we can all sleep safely in our beds awaiting the alarm callouts! Grrrrr
Old 19-05-2005, 18:02   #143
Full Member+

Angry Re: Fairground ride imported for Mayor making weekend in May

My sympathies Lindsay, maybe you could play The Pogues Dirty Old Town at full volume. I went through the town centre this afternoon and nearly tripped over an electric cable for one of the rides! At five o clock there were a bunch of mayoral type characters hanging around looking jolly pleased with themselves... along with a police car and police van hauling off some miscreant. Oh and I would`nt like to bet that the cast iron bollard they ripped up to get the ride on Broadway is`nt through some shop window by Monday.
Old 19-05-2005, 18:59   #144
I am Banned

has anyone seen it working i was down town for 2 hrs and not 1 person rode the damn thing

remember it will pay for its self lmao
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 19:11   #145
Senior Member+

Oh it does work;but if that's the third biggest of it's kind in Europe then I'm the Easter Bunny! What a load of tripe and apparently expensive too;figures of £3 and £5 being bandied around today,I will find out how much tomorrow .The pageantry that is spoken of in the earlier thread seems to amount to 2 berks in Ermine dressing gowns,win a goldfish and hook a duck in our Town!

Last edited by lindsay ormerod; 19-05-2005 at 19:12.
lindsay ormerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 19:11   #146
Beacon of light

One of my concerns is that all the generators that are polluting the air......and this is occuring at the level of baby buggies.
Surely there must be some Health and Safety issues around the noise levels too.
I shall be keeping away from Accrington until it is all over.
I heard many comments this morning......none of them were good.
As for the continental market.......well, the prices are ludicrous!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 19:17   #147
Senior Member+

Don't know if the Trader's Association were consulted on this whole episode,but we certainly weren't and the majority of traders on Broadway are going to see really bad takings for the next 3 days whilst this is on.I haven't seen any evidence of extra policing and I dread to think what Saturday night will bring.At least all the regular trouble spots will be quiet as all the scrotes will have transferred themselves to Broadway!
Old 19-05-2005, 19:22   #148
I am Banned

i would hate to be in a busy shop that happened to have a fire as a crowd of people would struggle getting out of most of the shops on broadway

ime going down again tomorrow to see if theres anything i can accidently fall over and put a claim in for lol

j/k

although i am pretty sure they are cutting it fine with fire regulations
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 19:24   #149
Beacon of light

No wonder the takings are down. I will certainly avoid Broadway until all this nonsense has been dismantled.
I think that if I worked on Broadway I would be contacting the Environmental Health Officer about the noise pollution and the fumes.......I would phone them every 20 minutes......make myself a real nuisance.
What a BL**DY SHAMBLES !
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 19:29   #150
Senior Member+

Not a bad idea that Margaret,I am at a loose end tomorrow and may well feel like being a nuisance!

Am I to take it that you didn't avail yourself of some vastly overpriced tomatoes and bread then Margaret? Bet the traders in the Market hall thought it was April Fool's all over again.£5 for 2 artichokes,you are having a laugh!.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..