Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-05-2005, 19:40   #151
God Member

Re: Fairground ride imported for Mayor making weekend in May

I agree with you lot on this one...............I too took a trip to FANTASTICO ACCRINGTON (not) today. Laugh I nearly wet myself laughing. Chav city or what. This town is verging on ridiculous now. I too took one look and headed straight off broadway as a result of the fair.
Trying to cross broadway from the market hall side to the woolworth's side was mission impossible and dangerous. I can well understand why the takings will go down over the weekend for store owners as it seems everyone has the same idea (avoid broadway at all cost). The only good thing about this fair was that the music was that BLIMING loud that it drowned the people out that were tring to ask if I wish to order a catalogue with LITTLEWOODS or KAYS and I got away with pretending I had not heard them hehehe. Apart from that it stinks.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-05-2005, 19:43   #152
Beacon of light

I certainly didn't.......my hubby said 'well, they have brought all that stuff a long way'........I said 'yes, and at those prices I think most of it will be going back with them'.........I mean ARTICHOKES.......Accrington and artichokes don't exactly go into the same sentence do they...? let me think.......pie and artichoke......no that doesn't fit........fish and artichoke......no. They are having a laugh aren't they.....?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 20:06   #153
I am Banned

i forgot to mention i saw numerous flies getting comfortable on the open sweet stall outside the town hall near the conker tree

i was gonna buy my lad a treat but as i walked nearer i saw things moving on the sweets so i changed my mind rapid lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2005, 22:44   #154

Given who the new mayor is & reading the comments above the two go hand in hand-
A TOTAL FARCE! JANET STOREY YOU WILL HAVE A LOT OF DAMAGE TO REPAIR OVER THIS NEXT TWELVE MONTHS
Or maybe she is getting some practice in for replacing Britcliffe?????
Old 19-05-2005, 23:10   #155
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

got to feel sorry for the traders,most people i have spoke to since our dinner time visit say they will not go near broadway until that abomination has gone,and reading the replies it seems like most people who have responded will not.its disgraceful.
Old 20-05-2005, 08:28   #156
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I haven't yet been into town since these fairground rides were imposed on us. I have to nip down to the bank today so I'll take a look later.

Cover me......I'm going in.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2005, 09:25   #157
God Member

Couldn't agree more Mez - I feel sorry for the people working in those shops this weekend, the noise from those rides is too much. More like Blackpool than Accy town centre
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2005, 10:53   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
Well,what a fun day as a trader on Broadway! There is a "hook a duck" stall right in our doorway! The one outside Poundland is even closer to them.Our head office are looking into this farce as our takings today are down around 35% from a normal Thursday. Everyone leaving the Arndale by the entrance near Boots takes one look at the shambles ahead of them and heads away from the shops.Nice one HBC! Let's not forget the "continental market" outside our own Market Hall where you can bag yourself a "bargain" loaf for only....£3!!!!
The only things breath-taking about this are the petrol fumes from the generators and the smell of S**t hitting fans when traders realise how much this has cost them!
Oh,and by the way,the fair is open till 10pm at nights so we can all sleep safely in our beds awaiting the alarm callouts! Grrrrr

At least you have a better view than we do Lindsay - we get the back of a burger van. We are thinking of going and sticking some posters on it to brighten up the view a little bit. Shame we can't do anything about the sickening smell of fried onions.
Old 20-05-2005, 11:44   #159
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Now I know that we slate HBC regularly on this website but what the hell have we done to deserve this???????

It's horrendous....... I've just been into town and it is awful walking through Broadway. These rides take up any available space and guess what..... There's nobody riding on them. There is at least 3 lots of different music blaring out of various speakers so you can't tell which tunes are actually playing and the whole lot just sounds like noise.

On my way home I was stopped by a lady who asked directions to Woolworths. I advised her to go to Blackburn.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2005, 12:05   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
Not a bad idea that Margaret,I am at a loose end tomorrow and may well feel like being a nuisance!

Am I to take it that you didn't avail yourself of some vastly overpriced tomatoes and bread then Margaret? Bet the traders in the Market hall thought it was April Fool's all over again.£5 for 2 artichokes,you are having a laugh!.
Don't forget the garlic £5 a braid! Apart from restaurants who on earth could use so much before it went off!!! Or are we to be over run with vampires & they're not telling us.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2005, 12:09   #161
Resting in Peace

well you never know

SORRY LESS HEHE

Last edited by Mick; 20-05-2005 at 12:10.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2005, 20:09   #162
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Don't forget the garlic £5 a braid! Apart from restaurants who on earth could use so much before it went off!!! Or are we to be over run with vampires & they're not telling us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
well you never know

SORRY LESS HEHE
I did wonder what was keeping me away from broadway at least now that I know what it is I don't mind missing the fun of the fair!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2005, 19:42   #163
I am Banned

did the new mayor actualy go on the rides coz no one else did lol

ok ok i admit it in the 3 days i spent shopping down town and exercising my legs pushing the baby around i did see 2 people having a go on the spinny ride but that was it

i did see it running plenty of times with no one in it at all

money well spent
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2005, 20:43   #164
God Member

I haven't been into town at all this weekend but I could see one of the rides from Cannon St and it looked pretty good though out of place on Broadway.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2005, 22:06   #165
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

will they be gone tomorrow?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..