Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-07-2011, 10:21   #76
Resting in Peace

Re: Hyndburn Homes - security compromised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
When you think about it, any refurbishing they do is just surface gloss on a substandard structure. They are flimsy boxes.
I have to correct the positioning of pictures on my walls because closing a door shakes the walls. That heavy machinery passing to the football field causes my furniture to shake.

The removal of security is like the last straw - I call this my 'council cave' - now the boulder at the entrance has gone
Could I suggest an AK47 and a box of hand grenades Margaret, that should ease your fears
Old 30-07-2011, 10:24   #77
God Member

If I get a landing squatter, I propose to use my portable gas canister shrill personal security alarm, and I happen to have an axe which I will relocate to the hallway.

ps note to self - must websearch the Lizzie Borden case

Last edited by MargaretR; 30-07-2011 at 10:30.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 11:26   #78
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by odders View Post
errr..terrace stone built with slate roof, or prefab concrete build with tiles no brainer
Its not what they are built with that is the problem but the lack of basic maintenance. Look at the picture of the rotting wood posted above.

Replacement of roof and kitchen etc should not be on a time period but when required is what I was getting at. If the roof is sound why waste money replacing it when the interiors need doing?
Old 30-07-2011, 11:32   #79
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
What makes you think that these flats are all brick - a brick facing covering grey block is standard building practice.
I wouldn't contemplate buying one of these flats -
...warped window sills
...broken window handles
...hardboard panel doors
...the lack of plaster on the plasterboard
...no insulation in the panels under the windows
...no insulation on the wall adjoining the stairwell
...bare concrete stair access (I painted the steps with floor paint)
...a kitchen you cant swing a cat round in
...boxed in, surface mounted, piping for the central heating (at ceiling level would you believe)

The only advantage of the flat I am in is location
I don't like the way they fitted central heating and the lack of gas in some of the flats is poor as electric central heating is expensive. I think yours will be gas though as you had probably had the naf warm air rubbish before so you are lucky.

The lack of insulation is easily sorted on a referb and i think the kitchens are big enough for a small flat, is it only one bedroom?
Old 30-07-2011, 11:57   #80
God Member

Update -
The company who erected the ariels and who should have removed the old ariels has gone into liquidation.

Tenants in one area of this estate who have had serious antisocial behaviour problems are raising a petition and arranging a meeting in a community hall and have requested a HH representative to attend
and have said 'we want the organ grinder not the monkey'

Lancs Ev Tel are coming tomorrow

The natives are restless - there's trouble at t'mill

As for the size of the kitchen -
I have a fridge freezer, a (half size drum) washing machine and a small dishwasher.
I have had the washer plumbed in in a walk in cupboard and have no space for a tumble dryer. Whether a kitchen is practical depends on the layout. I have an unusable base corner unit - it is 100cm wide but the one door to get in it is only 40cm - 60cm of wasted space there. One wall cupboard has only the bottom half usable because the top half cannot be reached (I am 5'6") To improvise for the shortage of work surfaces I have a large wooden chopping board which fits over the sink.

PS how do you insulate a single brick wall(no cavity)?

Last edited by MargaretR; 30-07-2011 at 12:06.
Old 30-07-2011, 14:06   #81
Resting in Peace

Well I have to say Margaret, apart from the security aspect, which is a total dogs breakfast, I don't really have any complains about my flat, really, its fully double glazed, there was cavity wall insulation carried out some years ago, I would say ten, the air blow central heating was replaced by conventional radiator system about 4 years ago, which is certainly cheaper, my shower isn't bad, although a wet room would be better now I'm not that mobile, the kitchens okay, mind you I'm not a woman, so I can't really comment, but overall I'm quite happy with it really
Old 30-07-2011, 14:19   #82
God Member

I have been browsing properties to rent locally for a while now. The security and the views that this flat provided were its only assets - now both are gone (that football pavilion is enormous)

The refurbishments that have been done to many private landlord properties are to a far higher standard than HH provide. The location dictates the price but I am capable of paying more to have a desirable place to live. I have been registered on BwithUs for two years and today have registered with 3 letting agencies.

Old 30-07-2011, 14:37   #83
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I have been browsing properties to rent locally for a while now. The security and the views that this flat provided were its only assets - now both are gone (that football pavilion is enormous)

The refurbishments that have been done to many private landlord properties are to a far higher standard than HH provide. The location dictates the price but I am capable of paying more to have a desirable place to live. I have been registered on BwithUs for two years and today have registered with 3 letting agencies.
Will be sad to see you go Margaret
Old 30-07-2011, 15:23   #84
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
PS how do you insulate a single brick wall(no cavity)?
You dryline the wall using insulated plasterboard. You would lose between 2" and 4" depending on how thick the insulation is that is bonded to the taper edge board. No need to plaster just paper over it.
Old 30-07-2011, 15:59   #85
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You dryline the wall using insulated plasterboard. You would lose between 2" and 4" depending on how thick the insulation is that is bonded to the taper edge board. No need to plaster just paper over it.
So it is possible for Hyndburn Homes to just that on the stairwell side of the wall and so improve the appearance of the bare brick there is now.
It would also absorb some of the noise in the stairwell, which is another nuisance.

Old 30-07-2011, 16:04   #86
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
So it is possible for Hyndburn Homes to just that on the stairwell side of the wall and so improve the appearance of the bare brick there is now.
It would also absorb some of the noise in the stairwell, which is another nuisance.
You don't want plasterboard on the outside of the flats. It would be better to paint the stairwell walls with an off white stone paint which would help reduce the gloominess and use the insulated plasterboard on the inside walls when they do the renovation works.
Old 30-07-2011, 16:45   #87
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You don't want plasterboard on the outside of the flats. It would be better to paint the stairwell walls with an off white stone paint which would help reduce the gloominess and use the insulated plasterboard on the inside walls when they do the renovation works.
The stairwell is not exposed to the elements, and could be done without any disruption to residents.

Old 30-07-2011, 23:01   #88
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Its harder to do as well compared to the inside wall
Old 31-07-2011, 00:04   #89
God Member

Personally think taking the outside locks off is an absolute disgrace From a personal point of view would recommend looking at "Harvest Homes", can't find a fault with the accommodation that I live in. Yes the rent might seem high but when you take into account all the added extras, ie the central heating and laundry costs are added to service charges (which are in with the rent). The only other outgoings are T.V. Licensee £7:50 per year and your quarterly elec bill.
Bearing all that in mind I know where I would rather live, oh and by the way this complex has had double glazing and new kitchens fitted in the last couple of years and is due for bathroom refurbs in the not to distant future.
Just have a look round, I'm sure you would be surprised at how nice it is
Old 31-07-2011, 03:51   #90
God Member

I have browsed the Harvest Homes website. It is a name new to me but then I saw the name Eavesbrook which I was aware of.(amalgamation happened there too)
I found the page about 'apply for a home' and it directed me to BwithUs, which I'm already registered with and watching weekly.

Whilst on their website, I looked around it and, noticed to their credit, that they have advised their tenants of the existence of The Tenant Service Authority and its regulatory power over them.

Hyndburn Homes website doesn't -(or should that be 'daren't' ?)

Last edited by MargaretR; 31-07-2011 at 03:58.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..