Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2011, 10:10   #151
mez
God Member

Re: Hyndburn Homes - security compromised.

well done & thank you margaret for being our spokeswoman, not forgetting jaysay too.
Accrington Web
Old 08-08-2011, 10:56   #152
Bee
I am Banned

Hyndburn Homes are really (nasty word erased).
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:42   #153
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
See Jaysay's post at post #21
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...s-58718-2.html
Our locks are to be restored but they haven't said how soon.

This result is due to swift decisive action by our local Fire Brigade

The way this development was relayed to me was -
"the firemen have summoned the chairman" - (to a meeting)
How's that for "an offer that can't be refused"
Sorry, not true.

A cost of replacement locks was asked for by the Neighbourhood Management Section, the Asset Management section spoke to the fire service to clarify the situation and they agreed the work after suggesting that lack of locks constituted an an increased (if small) risk of arson.

The locks would have been replaced with or without further fire service input, the only question was where to find the money.

The replacement will start at the top of Heron Way.
topographic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:55   #154
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
This escapade has prompted me to examine legislation relating to housing associations and fire safety in multiple occupancy dwellings.

I have decided that the flat I am in is below standard in many respects.

I will be moving using BwithUs, so will stay with 'social housing' landlords.

The restoration of locks means that the need to move is less urgent, so I can be more selective.

PS thanks for the kind comments, but all I did was google for hours on end (which isn't unusual for me )
Don't confuse flats with communal entrances with Homes with Multiple Occupation.

The regulations are quite different.

Hyndburn Homes do not have HMOs which are properties that consist of one or more units of living accommodation not consisting of a self contained flat or flats;
Old 09-08-2011, 11:09   #155
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topographic View Post
Sorry, not true.

A cost of replacement locks was asked for by the Neighbourhood Management Section, the Asset Management section spoke to the fire service to clarify the situation and they agreed the work after suggesting that lack of locks constituted an an increased (if small) risk of arson.

The locks would have been replaced with or without further fire service input, the only question was where to find the money.

You appear to speak with some authority, could you please explain why the locks were removed and why now they will be replaced?
Has someone made a mistake?
Old 09-08-2011, 11:19   #156
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You appear to speak with some authority, could you please explain why the locks were removed and why now they will be replaced?
how strange convienently buggered off.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:44   #157
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Well you are our resident bloodhound, you must have scared him off
Old 09-08-2011, 11:46   #158

Looks like the hyndburn homes propaganda machine is swinging into action,
b rawlinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:54   #159

Quote:
Sorry, not true.

Pity the people who work in these sections all appear to be of the jobsworth type when asked a question.
Old 09-08-2011, 13:08   #160
Junior Member+

Quote:
Because the fire Service requested it.

The regulations prohibit the fitting of a locking device on the /final exit door which, if operated, requires a key release to open it from the inside. This would exclude the use of standard mortice deadlocks if they can be operated from the inside. They specify that exit from the flat is achieved by the operation of a single action release, opening being accomplished by means of a handle or thumb turn.

If a fatality occured because of an incorrect lock I'm sure everyone would have been on the case.
Old 09-08-2011, 13:15   #161
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Have work to do and can't be on the web 24/7; the info was given in good faith and it's a shame when people can't respond by being civil.

And......I don't deal in propaganda, just facts.
Old 09-08-2011, 13:23   #162
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
If a fatality occured because of an incorrect lock I'm sure everyone would have been on the case.
It looks like a massive Google Page Ranking failure for Hyndburn Homes that you did not discuss with residents their feelings regarding the removal of these locks.

If a discussion had taken place you would have known your customers felt you would be putting them at risk and you could have found an alternative solution first. As it is you have suffered a massive humiliation and now look like an uncaring landlord.

Will you be putting solutions in place so you don't repeat this mistake and discuss future plans and listen to your customers?
Old 09-08-2011, 13:39   #163
Junior Member+

Quote:
It looks like a massive Google Page Ranking failure for Hyndburn Homes that you did not discuss with residents their feelings regarding the removal of these locks.

If a discussion had taken place you would have known your customers felt you would be putting them at risk and you could have found an alternative solution first. As it is you have suffered a massive humiliation and now look like an uncaring landlord.

Will you be putting solutions in place so you don't repeat this mistake and discuss future plans and listen to your customers?
This was a health and safety issue that Hyndburn Homes would be expected to deal with without delay, people would still have made their feelings known on here and elsewhere, when in reality there was no choice in the matter.

First remove the risk, fire safety, then address the lesser risk.

RSLs understand that they have to do some unpopular things and that newspapers, forums etc are always quick to jump on 'bad news' stories. That's the world we live in.

Hyndburn Homes does listen to customers, involve them in estate inspections, have working groups for policies and procedures, a tenant group that reviews all policies before beimg put to our Board, which, incidently includes tenants as the biggest single group.
Old 09-08-2011, 13:57   #164

Did the Fire Brigade specifically ask for none lockable handles to be fitted and was a comprehensive risk assessement done on the possible effects of fitting none lockable handles to communal doors that can be accessed by the public in general?
Old 09-08-2011, 14:34   #165
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Have work to do and can't be on the web 24/7; the info was given in good faith and it's a shame when people can't respond by being civil.

And......I don't deal in propaganda, just facts.
it would have been civil to respond to the question put by a resident, n if yeh deal in facts i know yeh were online at least 10 mins after yeh read B.Rawlinsons questions. also if yeh think i was uncivil, wait- if yeh ever upset me, yeh will know the true meaning of yer allegation.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..