Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2011, 09:29   #391
Resting in Peace

Re: Hyndburn's New Tourist Attraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Phew.

So he's human.

Just as we all are.

In a way I don't think this forum is so very different from any other form of media, used as a tool for communication. Speaking to the press, or writing a newspaper column say, which people can also respond to, if they want.

When Graham Jones was leader of a local political party he took a fairly active role in the life of Accyweb, and it didn't seem to do his reputation much harm, seeing as he went on to become our M.P. Indeed, showing that he is human, like the rest of us, might have added to his appeal with the electorate.

Perhaps you should be encouraging TheLeadersOfficeHBC to play the Accy Web quiz, or share his favourite hits on the AW juke box, rather than thinking he was 'stupid' for posting on here at all.

To be fair I don't think he used accyweb to play the quiz or air his favorite musical hits, but I would think that the people who use AW on a regular basis like you and myself are only around 50 who actually live within the boarders of the borough, of which most are already aligned politically, so I can see that it makes a terrible lot of difference really, I just wish some of the Tory Councillors who Are members would take a more active part in the site, certainly would help stop me getting all the flack even when sometimes I agree with some criticisms being made
Old 07-03-2011, 09:42   #392
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
To be fair I don't think he used accyweb to play the quiz or air his favorite musical hits, but I would think that the people who use AW on a regular basis like you and myself are only around 50 who actually live within the boarders of the borough, of which most are already aligned politically, so I can see that it makes a terrible lot of difference really, I just wish some of the Tory Councillors who Are members would take a more active part in the site, certainly would help stop me getting all the flack even when sometimes I agree with some criticisms being made
Obviously the Conservative prospective parliamentary candidates thought AW could make a 'difference', as quite a few joined up as members on here.

I remember Graham talking of his love of The Clash on Accy Web, and I don't mean his relationship with his opposite number on the Tory benches.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:43   #393
Common Sense Member

Quote:
In a way I don't think this forum is so very different from any other form of media, used as a tool for communication. Speaking to the press, or writing a newspaper column say, which people can also respond to, if they want.

When Graham Jones was leader of a local political party he took a fairly active role in the life of Accy Web, and it didn't seem to do his reputation much harm, seeing as he went on to become our M.P. Indeed, showing that he is human, like the rest of us, might have added to his appeal with the electorate.

Perhaps you should be encouraging TheLeadersOfficeHBC to play the Accy Web quiz, or share his favourite hits on the AW juke box, rather than thinking he was 'stupid' for posting on here at all.

I would welcome any regular posts from elected Conservative members. As I have said so often before, it would add balance to discussions.

Regrettably, we seemingly have several councillors who are well aware of the messages posted on this forum and are prepared to publicly deride them yet take no active role in responding in the same media. The only Conservative councillor who appears to post with any degree of regularity is Nick Whittaker of Huncoat.

Mind you, with trained lawyers watching every word that is printed it might be that some councillors are reluctant to say anything in case it could be construed as libellous. However, not everyone in the world is secretly reading posts and waiting to see if they get offended by political statements so they can take legal action, plus the Conservatives have admirable support from the likes of Jaysay.

I fail to see how councillors interacting with their electorate is a bad thing, in fact if anything it would seem that the public view the lack of participation as being worse.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:45   #394
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I just wish some of the Tory Councillors who Are members would take a more active part in the site, certainly would help stop me getting all the flack even when sometimes I agree with some criticisms being made
don't use that as n excuse yeh love it n would be lost without flak.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:49   #395
Senior Member+

Quote:
Obviously the Conservative prospective parliamentary candidates thought AW could make a 'difference', as quite a few joined up as members on here.

I remember Graham talking of his love of The Clash on Accy Web, and I don't mean his relationship with his opposite number on the Tory benches.

Don't get Graham going on about the Clash.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:56   #396
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Don't get Graham going on about the Clash.
He's not thinking of rocking the casbah is he bernard
Old 07-03-2011, 09:57   #397
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
don't use that as n excuse yeh love it n would be lost without flak.
Ya but mi flack jackets gettin a bit worn cashy
Old 07-03-2011, 09:59   #398
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I remember Graham talking of his love of The Clash on Accyweb, and I don't mean his relationship with his opposite number on the Tory benches.

Ya but none of actually did any posting did they, just a token gesture really
Old 07-03-2011, 09:59   #399
Give, give, give member

Quote:
...would help stop me getting all the flack even when sometimes I agree with some criticisms being made
It's true.

I don't think you are viewed as the Tory apologist on here anymore.

I see you more as the starter of 'vile and vicious attacks' against our Council Leader.

Which is more than a little ironic, given your past statements in the letter columns of the local press.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:02   #400
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Ya but none of actually did any posting did they, just a token gesture really
John Moss, and Karen Buckley both made numerous posts on here, prior to the selection interviews.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:03   #401
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Ya but mi flack jackets gettin a bit worn cashy
Worn?
I'm suprised it's still in one piece!

No, hang on, thinking about it, it should be like new, when you fire off a round it's usually your foot you hit.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:12   #402
Resting in Peace

Quote:
John Moss, and Karen Buckley both made numerous posts on here, prior to the selection interviews.
And very few after
Old 07-03-2011, 10:13   #403
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Worn?
I'm suprised it's still in one piece!

No, hang on, thinking about it, it should be like new, when you fire off a round it's usually your foot you hit.
Less you only need a flack jacket for incoming not outgoing
Old 07-03-2011, 10:15   #404
Resting in Peace

Quote:
It's true.

I don't think you are viewed as the Tory apologist on here anymore.

I see you more as the starter of 'vile and vicious attacks' against our Council Leader.

Which is more than a little ironic, given your past statements in the letter columns of the local press.

I haven't said a word about the Leader in waiting,

yet
Old 07-03-2011, 10:19   #405
Give, give, give member

Quote:
And very few after
Obviously they thought it would make little 'difference', after the selection process had finished.

Mind you, many local Tories didn't seem that supportive, or posted much encouragement in the hope of making a difference, after poor Karen had been chosen as the Conservative candidate here in Hyndburn.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..