Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-07-2010, 19:36   #16
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Isn't It Time Cyclists re-claimed the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Yet it is seems to be ok for motorists to force you on the pavement with their irresponsable actions. Me I am quite happy using the road but if a driver cannot see me despite lights and reflective clothing then they need their eyes tested. I would be quite happy to pay for insurance a bike mot etc. That seems to be the motorists biggest gripe.
That is why the title is:-
Quote:
Isn't It Time Cyclists re-claimed the road?
To get you off the pavement needs you and I to make sure you can use the road.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-07-2010, 19:59   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
That is why the title is:-

To get you off the pavement needs you and I to make sure you can use the road.
Can I go on a pavement to plough through Chavs though? Could be classed as street cleaning.

It is time that some did make sure that we as motorist and the pedal powered
realised the other is there and have the same rights on the road. I get road rage and I am cycling it gets that bad sometimes. Even heard cyclist being abused by drivers because they are on the road. I sometimes wonder if they would be happy if one of their family was clobbered by a wheel mounted pavement lout.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 20:10   #18

Quote:

It is time that some did make sure that we as motorist and the pedal powered
realised the other is there and have the same rights on the road.
Both are entitled to use the road, unfortunately the cyclist has been seen for far too many years abusing that privilege i.e. ignoring traffic lights.

Quote:
I get road rage and I am cycling it gets that bad sometimes. Even heard cyclist being abused by drivers because they are on the road.
This is of course wrong, but can you blame a motorist when he sees cyclists abusing the law and getting away with it? Time the cyclist showed that he is a worthy road user perhaps?

Quote:
I sometimes wonder if they would be happy if one of their family was clobbered by a wheel mounted pavement lout.
I doubt that anyone would be happy with that type of result, but perhaps it is time for a cyclist to take responsibility for him/herself? Why should the Onus always be on the motorist? Surely a decent cyclist would take out some form of insurance, after all it isn't always the car drivers fault.
Old 22-07-2010, 20:17   #19
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

I assume then, that unlike many Countries in Europe there isn't an extensive network of cycle paths in UK for the pedalists to use & domineer ?

Believe me they're tinging their bell at you good style over here if you so much as step on their red denoted pathways, even old dears with sixteen stone of shopping & a zimmer frame aren't spared this harassment.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2010, 20:28   #20
God Member

Quote:
Both are entitled to use the road, unfortunately the cyclist has been seen for far too many years abusing that privilege i.e. ignoring traffic lights.

This is of course wrong, but can you blame a motorist when he sees cyclists abusing the law and getting away with it? Time the cyclist showed that he is a worthy road user perhaps?

I doubt that anyone would be happy with that type of result, but perhaps it is time for a cyclist to take responsibility for him/herself? Why should the Onus always be on the motorist? Surely a decent cyclist would take out some form of insurance, after all it isn't always the car drivers fault.

I stick to the rules with them. Anyone ignoring em runs the risk of losing an argument with a car or clobbering a pedestrian waiting to cross (could be classed as assault or dangerous driving) over the road.

I take it serious on a road as I can be as much a danger to a motorist as they are to me.

Never tried to get insurance for a cyclist. Reckon the premiums would be high than that of a newly qualified 17 year old driver. Cyclists cause more trouble to motorists than the other way round. I have wing mirrors on mine so I dont have to turn round to see what is behind me. Also have brake light and rear indicators so those behind know my intentions and what i am doing.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 22-07-2010, 20:29   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
I assume then, that unlike many Countries in Europe there isn't an extensive network of cycle paths in UK for the pedalists to use & domineer ?

Believe me they're tinging their bell at you good style over here if you so much as step on their red denoted pathways, even old dears with sixteen stone of shopping & a zimmer frame aren't spared this harassment.
There is but usually in the big towns and cities.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 22-07-2010, 20:35   #22

Quote:

Never tried to get insurance for a cyclist.

Bicycle and cycle insurance from Cycleguard
Old 22-07-2010, 20:44   #23
God Member

Quote:

Thank ya for the link.

£40 and that includes public liability cover. In shock!!!

Need a closer look though

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 22-07-2010, 20:51   #24

Quote:
Thank ya for the link.
Not a problem, I'm glad that in showing this to you means this thread isn't as was suggested by a rather sensitive member:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
just another of your mindless whinges?
Perhaps we should have a law preventing him riding his high horse in public? I'll have a word with the politico's
Old 23-07-2010, 04:00   #25
God Member

It is a good idea then people cant say it is all one way. The fact that there is insurance shows that there are people out there that want it and would feel comfortable with it.

As for riding a horse is there insurance with that as well?

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 23-07-2010, 06:56   #26

I'm sure that there is insurance for horse riders.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 07:46   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
I'm sure that there is insurance for horse riders.
there is - I am sure mrs gg had public liability insurance when she had her horse and I have a stand alone policy on my bike, I cycle every day and not always but quite alot of time I get abused from car drivers etc..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 08:51   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
My words, what a wonderful phrase,
Please ignore the rest of your post where you go on to tell us that you speak your mind, (you went to full capacity on that when you introduced yourself some time ago), you wanted to blame the politicians, well yes, perhaps your right, it's their fault because they haven't nagged the Police to enforce the laws that we have, OR perhaps it isn't their fault, the laws are in place with no excuse for the Police not to enforce them.

P.S. Love you too.
Try running a Red Light on a Friday night, think they'll enforce the law alright then Less
Old 23-07-2010, 13:54   #29
Resting in Peace

Coming out of Levenshulme last night, spotted (just about) a cyclist on a busy, but not that well lit road, no lights, dark clothing and on his mobile.. it didn't help that he was dark-skinned too ...

Agree, some very bad cyclists on the road, but can work both ways. My son cycles to work everyday and saw a comment on his Facebook page that he had developed a super hero power .. invisibility, which is only activated when he's on his bike and pedestrians are crossing the road or drivers pulling out of junctions. Yes, he wears all the gear including hi-viz waistcoat, etc.

Will always be disrespectful people on the roads and that can includes pedestrians.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 17:59   #30
Resting in Peace

Just a warning for people thinking of taking a stroll in Ossy in the near future, I'm digging my wheelchair out and am contemplating terrorising the footpaths

Last edited by jaysay; 23-07-2010 at 18:01.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..