Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 18:29   #1
God Member

It's a sad sign of the times.

When "Merry Christmas" becomes a bold declaration, when Canadian Treasury Board President, Tony Clement, feels that he has to inform federal civil servants that it is ok to celebrate Christmas and Chanukah, something has gone sadly wrong. Federal government employees can display Christmas cards in their offices, put up lights, put candles in miniature Menorahs, and otherwise express the spirit of the season ... Peace, Love, etc .... Clement explained in a newspaper article: "There are those who would like to snuff out the holiday spirit in the name of political correctness or expediency."

Guess what? As soon as his comments were made public all kinds of complaints hit the radio talk shows and social media ... and where did they come from? Non-Christians, non-Jews, along with a few atheists and wierdos, who believe the workplace should be secular These creeps believe that their religion is somehow being insulted and pushed aside by the Celebration of the birth of Christ. They seem to forget that Canada was founded on Judeo-Christian values. Charity and tolerance (and hockey) ... this is what makes this country such a great place to be. And the fact that it is a great place to be is why they came in the first place. They should also be celebrating Christmas, if not religiously, at least intellectually. They are blessed just by being in Canada. As this anti-Christion demographic grows, their attitudes have already frightened major retailers from even mentioning Christmas in their ads ... some folks are even afraid to call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree.

Ok, we all know whom I am talking about ... I'm not much of a Christian myself, but I would like to wish them: "Merry Christmas".
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-12-2012, 20:52   #2

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!
Re: It's a sad sign of the times.

Worlds gone mad Eric my friend

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards...someecards.png
Old 12-12-2012, 20:58   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Especially for those of us who remember a time when "Merry Christmas" wasn't a political statement, when it was just ... well, "Merry Christmas".
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 21:21   #4
God Member

accy has its very own festival lights.Not christmas lights just so we are clear but festival lights because as everyone knows at this time of year people like to celebrate the festival season of good tidings etc and a merry festival to each other.

if someone dosnt like things at christmas been labled christmas then they can quite simply duck off

soon bomfire night will be known as stick on fire night or halloween will be represented by hoover challanged women with leanings to magic rather than witches

anyway im off to errect the festival tree ,its very similar to a christmas tree but way less offensive.

Mind you i lost interest in HBC's pathetic PC attitude some time ago so they may well now be called christmas lights again now were under a new regime

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 22:42   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Especially for those of us who remember a time when "Merry Christmas" wasn't a political statement, when it was just ... well, "Merry Christmas".
And it still is as far as i'm concerned "Balls to em"
lindashanks2 likes this.
Old 12-12-2012, 22:55   #6
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
soon bomfire night will be known as stick on fire night
What's a stick on fire? One you don't have to bolt to the wall?

Fireplace Peel and Stick Wall Mural
Old 12-12-2012, 23:43   #7
God Member

'Murials' have got trendy again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 ducks.JPG (76.2 KB, 9 views)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 02:52   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
Mind you i lost interest in HBC's pathetic PC attitude some time ago so they may well now be called christmas lights again now were under a new regime
To be fair to HBC (not something that comes naturally to me ), this year's theme is "Get Set for a Cracking Christmas in Hyndburn" and they do still have a crib in the town centre - you can't get much more traditional than that.

Personally, I think that the threat to Christmas is massively overstated by the likes of the "Daily Mail" and comes more from PC jobsworthies than ordinary folk of whatever race or creed. I've worked with muslims, lived in the same neighbourhood as muslims and I've always found 'em quite happy to celebrate Christmas with trees, trimmings, Santa Claus etc., although obviously not the religious aspect or the boozing (well, some of 'em, anyway ). Doubtless, there'll be the usual crop of "Christmas is banned" stories in the Tory press due to the stupidities of a minority of individuals, but I reckon rumours of the death of Christmas are a bit premature just yet!
Old 13-12-2012, 05:44   #9

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
To be fair to HBC (not something that comes naturally to me ), this year's theme is "Get Set for a Cracking Christmas in Hyndburn" and they do still have a crib in the town centre - you can't get much more traditional than that.

Personally, I think that the threat to Christmas is massively overstated by the likes of the "Daily Mail" and comes more from PC jobsworthies than ordinary folk of whatever race or creed. I've worked with muslims, lived in the same neighbourhood as muslims and I've always found 'em quite happy to celebrate Christmas with trees, trimmings, Santa Claus etc., although obviously not the religious aspect or the boozing (well, some of 'em, anyway ). Doubtless, there'll be the usual crop of "Christmas is banned" stories in the Tory press due to the stupidities of a minority of individuals, but I reckon rumours of the death of Christmas are a bit premature just yet!
Totally agree with you, thing is though, it's the people with a little bit of power, the ones that reckon they speak for 95% of the people, who despite what they believe do NOT have their finger on the pulse of the people, that make these daft decisions.

The kind of people that ban conkers in the playground, remove foster kids from loving families and say that other faiths in a multicultural nation are upset by the word christmas.

The muslims that I know simply do not care one way or the other except for the ones that are looking forward to the double time they will be earning whilst I'm stuffing my face and pickling my liver. And chances are that if I get alcoholic poisoning over the next couple of weeks, it will be a muslim doctor or nurse that will be operating the stomach pump at BRI.
Old 13-12-2012, 08:14   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
To be fair to HBC (not something that comes naturally to me ), this year's theme is "Get Set for a Cracking Christmas in Hyndburn"
looks like the new regime has a little more about them when it comes to xmas after all

i think when the last lot renamed xmas lights festival lights it sparked a 100 page thread in here.OK i may be exagerating a little but folk wernt happy

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 13-12-2012, 09:55   #11
Beacon of light

I have worked will all races and creeds, but we all sent each other Christmas cards and had a Christmas hug on Christmas morning...and wished each other a Merry Christmas.
Not one person ever said to me - 'we don't celebrate Christmas'.

I will continue to wish everyone a 'Merry Christmas'......and to hell with the PC brigade.
So while I am here ...to all my Accyweb Friends...where-ever you are.
Merry Christmas. I wish you everything you would wish for yourselves.
Less, cashman, mobertol and 3 others like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 10:54   #12
Resting In Peace

Well said Margaret. And a very merry christmas to you too.
Judith Addison likes this.
Old 13-12-2012, 11:30   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have worked will all races and creeds, but we all sent each other Christmas cards and had a Christmas hug on Christmas morning...and wished each other a Merry Christmas.
Not one person ever said to me - 'we don't celebrate Christmas'.

I will continue to wish everyone a 'Merry Christmas'......and to hell with the PC brigade.
So while I am here ...to all my Accyweb Friends...where-ever you are.
Merry Christmas. I wish you everything you would wish for yourselves.
Well said Margaret. I have a family of Sikh neighbours and one who are Hindu and they "celebrate" xmas too buying presents and they always wish us Buon Natale! I always give them something (they love mince pies!) and this year will buy something for their new Grandson. When it's their own festivals they celebrate those too and share them, bringing bracelets and sweets etc. Different cultures don't have to mean division it's all about sharing things not making them tabu.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 12:06   #14
Beacon of light

Dianne, that has been my experience too.....and we can be enriched by the sharing.

I don't think it has ever been the other cultures who have made a fuss about being insulted/offended by Christmas...it has been the tuppenny-ha'penny jobsworths who have perceived insult where there was none.....they are the ones who should be shot(preferably at dawn and with pig muck).
Judith Addison likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 17:19   #15
God Member

whens yodas birthday i need to know when to put my yodamas tree up ?

someone went to the trouble of organising a new relegion but left the details pretty vague

i think lightsaber day is march 18th the day after saint patricks day

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..