Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-12-2012, 17:47   #31
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: It's a sad sign of the times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I wonder if they actually call it Boxing day over there? Here it's always just called "Santo Stefano" -love that hymn - Good King Wenceslas...

Was always told it was Boxing day because people threw out the boxes from their presents -is this true?
I was led to believe that the waiting on staff/servants/delivery boys & binnies of wealthy households (Edwardian-Victorian times) received a gift/Christmas box from their betters on the 26th Dec, hence the expression "Boxing Day".

Boxing Day

Personally I think it's more to do with household fisticuff after getting a duff pressie off the other half.
mobertol likes this.
Old 15-12-2012, 14:35   #32
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have worked will all races and creeds, but we all sent each other Christmas cards and had a Christmas hug on Christmas morning...and wished each other a Merry Christmas.
Not one person ever said to me - 'we don't celebrate Christmas'.

I will continue to wish everyone a 'Merry Christmas'......and to hell with the PC brigade.
So while I am here ...to all my Accyweb Friends...where-ever you are.
Merry Christmas. I wish you everything you would wish for yourselves.
On leaving hospital this morning a Muslim, Hindu, a christian and an atheist, wished me a merry christmas, there you go
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 14:39   #33
Beacon of light

Isn't that lovely, and it proves the point.
I hope you have a very pleasant(but quiet) Christmas....with the only flashing lights being those on the Christmas tree.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 18:30   #34
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
On leaving hospital this morning a Muslim, Hindu, a christian and an atheist, wished me a merry christmas, there you go
And .................... the punchline is ?
Old 15-12-2012, 20:07   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
And .................... the punchline is ?
Punchline begins as follows: "And the jew said ..... "
DaveinGermany likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 21:02   #36
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Punchline begins as follows: "And the jew said ..... "
...Hoy vei, thank goodness we finally got him fit enough to go home, if we'd had to listen to him telling us once more it's all because of Labours 13 years of misrule no-one would have blamed us for crucifieing that particular Christian.
Margaret Pilkington and Eric like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2012, 22:05   #37

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
When "Merry Christmas" becomes a bold declaration, when Canadian Treasury Board President, Tony Clement, feels that he has to inform federal civil servants that it is ok to celebrate Christmas and Chanukah, something has gone sadly wrong. Federal government employees can display Christmas cards in their offices, put up lights, put candles in miniature Menorahs, and otherwise express the spirit of the season ... Peace, Love, etc .... Clement explained in a newspaper article: "There are those who would like to snuff out the holiday spirit in the name of political correctness or expediency."

Guess what? As soon as his comments were made public all kinds of complaints hit the radio talk shows and social media ... and where did they come from? Non-Christians, non-Jews, along with a few atheists and wierdos, who believe the workplace should be secular These creeps believe that their religion is somehow being insulted and pushed aside by the Celebration of the birth of Christ. They seem to forget that Canada was founded on Judeo-Christian values. Charity and tolerance (and hockey) ... this is what makes this country such a great place to be. And the fact that it is a great place to be is why they came in the first place. They should also be celebrating Christmas, if not religiously, at least intellectually. They are blessed just by being in Canada. As this anti-Christion demographic grows, their attitudes have already frightened major retailers from even mentioning Christmas in their ads ... some folks are even afraid to call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree.

Ok, we all know whom I am talking about ... I'm not much of a Christian myself, but I would like to wish them: "Merry Christmas".
Just to highlight that its the PC brigade/minority jihadist who are at fault, and not the actual ordinary bloke in the street who believes in something different than a virgin giving birth or a bloke in a red suit that climbs down chimneys

Wynonie Harris likes this.
Old 29-12-2012, 11:33   #38
I am Banned

Political Correctness.

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of sh1t by the clean end.

Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..