Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-01-2006, 19:13   #1
I am Banned

Accrington Pilkingtons Buses

I think they should bring Pilkington Buses
back onto the roads!

Okay, so they didnt have supreme buses,
but their drivers were friendly, and down
to earth. And their service was reliable.

Whereas, these big companies (Lancashire
United) have the better buses, but have
the most stuck up, rude drivers ive ever
experienced.

Bring Back Pilkies! Anyone else agree?
thomas_045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-01-2006, 19:48   #2
God Member

Re: Accrington Pilkingtons Buses

I dont agree sorry, better off with a stuck up driver driving a safe vehicle than a nice polite one riding around in a death trap in my opinion, plus a few of the drivers on the LU vehicles did come from Pilkies, did they change attitudes as well as jobs?

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2006, 19:53   #3
I am Banned

So after all those drivers lost their jobs, their was suddenly plenty of jobs free at Lancashire United. How suprising. And you know for a fact that drivers changed their jobs to another bus company do you? Must of done quite a bit of research on those bus drivers eh. How very interesting.

And I would never call Pilkies buses a death trap.
Accrington Lad likes this.

Last edited by thomas_045; 23-01-2006 at 20:00.
Old 23-01-2006, 20:00   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_045
So after all those drivers lost their jobs, their was suddenly plenty of jobs free at Lancashire United. How suprising.
There would be jobs available because they added vehicles to their fleet to put them on the Hyndburn routes
Quote:
And you know for a fact that drivers changed their jobs to another bus company do you? Must of done quite a bit of research on those bus drivers eh. How very interesting and time consuming.
I know of 3, not because I use the buses cause I don't< I know these guys because they have been driving buses round Accrington for years, before Pilky's put their buses (cough) on Accy routes

Quote:
And I would never call Pilkies buses a death trap. How many people have died whilst being on a Pilkington bus? Erm... Yes, thats none.
But with all the faults that have been found on the ministry checks, some serious others only minor, just think what could have happened, thats the way the DOT think of it and thats why they took them off the road, and I for one agree with their decision

www.ubuntu.com

Old 23-01-2006, 20:05   #5
I am Banned

If you spent £17 every 4 days using Lancashire United (at the age of 16 bare in mind). And could half that, well... say £7 if Pilkingtons were still in operation, I think you would do anything in your power to get them back on the roads.

Well I would. Pilkingtons offered the best service if you ask me. Buses on time. And cheap fares. Something which LU will never experience.

But I respect your opinion.
Accrington Lad likes this.
Old 23-01-2006, 20:09   #6
Beacon of light

Pilkingtons Buses lost their licence to operate because their fleet was deemed unsafe by D.O.T. inspectors. The D.O.T. take safety of passengers very seriously and the buses just didn't pass inspection criteria.

And before you ask........NO......I am not related to any member of the management of Pilkington's Buses.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2006, 20:10   #7
God Member

I agree, just glad I dont have to use the buses at them prices, but being an ex driver myself and seeing some of the things I have seen on the roads safety has to be the most important thing, maybe if they had charged a little more they would have been able to spend a bit more on the maintenance and probably still be in business today

www.ubuntu.com

Old 23-01-2006, 20:15   #8
I am Banned

I suppose safety is first yes. But prices these days are rediculous.

Are you the administrator of this site?
Old 23-01-2006, 20:17   #9
God Member

Quote:
I suppose safety is first yes. But prices these days are rediculous.

Are you the administrator of this site?
No
Roy Len Mick Wingy might be more but I cant remember

www.ubuntu.com

Old 23-01-2006, 20:18   #10
I am Banned

Oh. Okay. ........
Old 23-01-2006, 20:41   #11
Senior Member+

end of the day its a simple thing like anythign

if ur vehicles dont match up to the criteria repeatedly u get struck off the road.

its the same for pilky's and its same for a major car maker who maybe has realised that a certain part is suspect or if the safety groups say a certain car is unsafe.

the fact that there havent been any deaths on any of the buses shows how high the standards are to the fact that these buses didnt injure anyone yet were still deemed unsafe. i'm sure no one was victimising them.

standards are there for a reason if u dont reach them then what else do u expect?
Old 23-01-2006, 21:35   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
If you spent £17 every 4 days using Lancashire United (at the age of 16 bare in mind). And could half that, well... say £7 if Pilkingtons were still in operation, I think you would do anything in your power to get them back on the roads.

Well I would. Pilkingtons offered the best service if you ask me. Buses on time. And cheap fares. Something which LU will never experience.

But I respect your opinion.
If as your profile says, you live in Oswaldtwistle and work at Ossy Mills, why are your bus fares so expensive? Unless you are a student, and only work there part time? In which case I think because you are only sixteen, you may qualify for a reduced fare if you are in full time education.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2006, 21:43   #13
God Member

Shouldn't you be walking to work anyway, Thomas? Surely if you live in Ossy you shouldn't need to catch a bus to Ossy Mills, it's not that big a place.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2006, 21:46   #14
God Member

Sorry I'm not really involved in the topic but the man made a point, shouldnt poeple question the actual point if they disagreee with it, not his reasons for stating his point?
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2006, 21:58   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
Sorry I'm not really involved in the topic but the man made a point, shouldnt poeple question the actual point if they disagreee with it, not his reasons for stating his point?
Yes, you're quite right and have made a very good point. As I had no opinion on the point in the first place I decided to join in by questioning the point in the first place! Sorry, what was my point?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..