Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-01-2006, 20:08   #46
Resting In Peace

Re: Accrington Pilkingtons Buses

If anyone remembers Accrington's public transport system before 1986 when deregulation came into being, there was a very efficient transport system running from 5.30am till 11.30pm 6 days a week, Sundays started a little later but still ran till 11.30pm, 365 days a year, yes even Christmas Day had a bus service, , All the schools and factories were covered and on Saturday there was a 6 minute service between Accrington and Clayton le Moors. Everyone lost out due to Mrs Thatchers deregulation of public transport act 1985, the public lost a bus service which was reduced to a profit making ratrace with buses racing each other on main roads in order to pick up the most passengers and drivers, mechanics, and cleaners were forced to take pay cuts in order to keep their jobs. What we are seeing now 20 years on is the result of legislation made by the government of the day. I see nothing is really different it has just got worse, and I dont think the present government will make things any better, public transport in this country will be a thing of the past if something is not done to persuade the powers that be that you cannot provide a service and make a profit at the same time.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-01-2006, 20:30   #47
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
I had to get a JOB and earn my own money.
I have a job thank you. My profile will tell you.

Quote:
Perhaps you should also be aware of the bozo bin that exists here. It will take only a single click for people to confine you to shouting into an empty room. You may wish to listen to some of the other more experienced posters and tone down your responses or Accyweb may become a very lonely place for you.
Im taking it that was a threat to ban me from the site? Hah. Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyboo
ok not sticking up for anyone here but im so very sorry but i cannot stand lancashire united buses! i would rather walk to blakburn or surrounding areas than get on one of those!
my reasons are:
1) very expensive (blackburn buses are cheaper)
2) very rude drivers (who swear at you or maybe its just me when i get one)
3) im probably more comfy sitting on a rock than i am on one of them seats.
4) timetable is horrendous!
I agree 100%.
thomas_045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 20:49   #48
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_045
I have a job thank you. My profile will tell you.
and good for you, now you are getting to understand economics as well, job earns money to pay for services, if you don't like services or price of said services you have to find an alternative. now do something about it instead of whingeing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_045
Im taking it that was a threat to ban me from the site? Hah. Please.
Nope, I have never even mentioned banning anyone. as it happens I am not a moderator so couldn't do it if I wanted all I would suggest is that when new somewhere it is courteuos to find out the etiquette of that place before you go in all guns blazing. What I was saying is that this forum software allows you to select to ignore people who you feel aren't worth listening to. You are close to going in that bozo bin. The more people you respond to with this sort of childish comment the more that will be ignoring you and you will therefore have no one to whinge to.

Like I said, happy to discuss away from here if you like, my details are all in my profile.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 20:54   #49
I am Banned

Quote:
and good for you, now you are getting to understand economics as well, job earns money to pay for services, if you don't like services or price of said services you have to find an alternative. now do something about it instead of whingeing.
I wasnt whingeing. I was clearly stating my opinion.

And your right, you can choose to ignore me. Please feel free. It wouldnt bother me in the slightest to be honest! Dont keep threatening. Do what you want.
thomas_045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 21:12   #50
God Member

Thanks, I will, and thanks for defending my right to do just that.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2006, 19:12   #51
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

didnt pilkies have there buses on the road before in the 80's?? what happened to them then?? probably took off cuz there buses where as old as the ark!
Old 27-01-2006, 13:46   #52
Resting in Peace

As I have not fully read all postings just yet I was wondering if I know Ernie and Lettie's dad as I was on HBT 1978-1987 I jumped the sinking ship after 12 months privatization and joined the Ambulance Service.

As to how HBT ran yes it was not the best but it worked and we carried people safely to and from work shops etc.

Sorry to say Thomas but I recall a lady being killed on the crossing in Peel Street by a Pilky bus I know that because I was one of the emergency service workers trying to save her life but sadly I had to convey her to the Mortury at BRI.

Ok the driver admitted that he had been driving without due care but it was still a Pilky Bus

As most of your journey is with Rossendale Transport (or have they been sold out now) do they not have student tickets?????

Last edited by Ber999T; 27-01-2006 at 13:51. Reason: Just a thought for Thomas
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 15:16   #53

No. No. No. Thank you better safe than sorry.
thindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2006, 15:48   #54
God Member

According to this weeks Observer they could me making an apearance back on our roads, more or less got permission now to run 5 buses from their Argyle st depot, will be known as King Travel

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2006, 16:14   #55
God Member

And what are they going to be doing and what about the rest of the "fleet?"

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2006, 23:24   #56

Any chance I can change my username?Shower of rubbish.

Last edited by Neil; 08-01-2013 at 11:57. Reason: *'s
PILKYBUSDRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:12   #57
God Member

I pay £12.50 a week to travel to and from st marys college (£2.50 a day return from accrington)

I wouldn't mind that much BUT... the bus is *always* late, sometimes it is 40minutes late, it has even been known to miss out the main accrington stop. The buses (blackburn transport) are a heap of rubbish, never clean, always full of spit and whatever else from a school run.
Often the windows are jamed open on a cold morning, frozen open before on a very cold morning with all frozen condensation on the roof and stuff. Bloody freezing when you're driving and have that wind blowing at you.

What really ticks me off is the fact that the company still get £2.50 even when they're 40minutes late, because there is nothing we can do except stop paying, but most people don't want to carry out direct action because it causes them too much inconvinence, and unless everyone does it, nothing we can do. Also, a lot of people have bus passes so not taking the bus through direct action wouldnt stop the money..
Old 01-04-2006, 12:30   #58
God Member

Cyfr get a push bike it would be cheaper and healthier. No reason to be late for lectures either.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:35   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILKYBUSDRIVER
Any chance I can change my username?Shower of rubbish.
You not gonna tell us anything? do you think they should be allowed back on the road?

www.ubuntu.com

Last edited by Neil; 08-01-2013 at 11:57. Reason: *'s in quote
K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:36   #60
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Cyfr get a push bike it would be cheaper and healthier. No reason to be late for lectures either.
I've actualy thought of riding to college But I always get put off by the distance I think i'd die

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..