Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-01-2006, 16:57   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: Accrington Pilkingtons Buses

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_045
Yes. Its 40p off my £17 every 4 days.
Ok that's rubbish. Do you not have a student's union? You should be fighting for fairer fares.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-01-2006, 16:59   #32
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Ok that's rubbish. Do you not have a student's union? You should be fighting for fairer fares.
Hah. If only it was that easy. Trust me, ive tried everything. Other people at college are having the same problem too, but there is nothing we can do to make bus companies change their fares.

It was only the other day in the Telegraph they said fares were rising. Ah well.
thomas_045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 17:04   #33
Give, give, give member

Things are sadly worse than when I was a student twenty years ago, but isn't there a student's union you can join?

They used to issue cards to students under eighteen, which entitled me to concessionary fares on the buses.

Twenty years ago students would have been chained to the buses in Blackburn if they'd have tried to stop it. Come on how about a bit of direct action?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 17:07   #34
I am Banned

Haha. Maybe.

The used to be cards. But now they have introduced this stupid EMA system where students who's parents have low income get £30 a week. And students, such as myself get nothing.
Old 24-01-2006, 17:25   #35
God Member

Quote:
1) Half of the community complain about the mopeds, and stereotype all the drivers as young thugs, constantly breaking the law. So Id rather not.

2) Im nearly 17, and going to learn to drive. No point paying hundreds for a moped.

3) They, more than anything are death traps.
If you ride with consideration you will not be tarred with the same brush. Good luck in affording insurance at 17, I think you may find £17 a week rather cheap when you start getting insurance quotes. Mopeds aren't death traps in their own right, it takes an idiot of a rider to make them that, perhaps you are scared you will fit that bill?

Have you thought of car/taxi sharing? If three of you are all paying £17 a week I'm sure you will find a taxi firm that will take you for less than £50 a week

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 17:30   #36
I am Banned

I take it you mean Moped's when you say Mpoeds?

Anyway, I'll fill you in on some of the facts. I go to college in Rawtenstall. A small college, part of Accrington & Rossendale. Only Media students are situated there, about 17 of us. I am the only one commuting from Oswaldtwistle. So the car run is out of the question, the others are travelling from Burnley and Colne etc.

I also dont have to be wished 'good luck' in affording insurance. What I can and cannot afford (same applies to my parents) has got nothing to do with you or anyone else really. Im sure we will be more than able to afford it, which is why I dont recieve £30 a week EMA from college!
Old 24-01-2006, 17:31   #37
Resting In Peace

Once upon a time (1986) there was a wicked Prime Minister called Margaret who decided the buses were'nt making a big enough profit and some were being subsidised by the local council for routes that were unprofitable, But what about the students consessions and the late night buses? she was asked, "stuff them", she replied "I have my Roller and Chauffeur to take me to the bingo, anyway I'm going to privatise the bus services in this country and make each company compete for their survival". This is why such firms as Pilkingtons could not afford to stay in the running and why you are paying extortionate fares, £17 for a student pass, because there is no subsidy on unprofitable routes unless they are deemed absolutely nessesary by the powers that be who probably don't use the buses themselves anyway.
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 17:34   #38
God Member

I think the high fares MAY have something to do with spending money on making buses SAFE.....which the people at Pilki's didnt deem important
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 17:48   #39
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Things are sadly worse than when I was a student thirty years ago....
I thought you used to ride you ass to college or was it a donkey?
Old 24-01-2006, 17:52   #40
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
I also dont have to be wished 'good luck' in affording insurance. What I can and cannot afford (same applies to my parents) has got nothing to do with you or anyone else really. Im sure we will be more than able to afford it, which is why I dont recieve £30 a week EMA from college!

Hehehe, stop being so touchy, if you are able to afford car insurance then quit bitchin about the cost of your bus fares and and be thankful that you can afford it, when many can't...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 18:05   #41
God Member

Quote:
YAWN, you of course never make a spelling mistake or any other for that matter it seems. As it was that particular spelling mistake was live for about 30 seconds as I corrected it when i saw it.

Quote:
Anyway, I'll fill you in on some of the facts. I go to college in Rawtenstall. A small college, part of Accrington & Rossendale. Only Media students are situated there, about 17 of us. I am the only one commuting from Oswaldtwistle. So the car run is out of the question, the others are travelling from Burnley and Colne etc.
well congratulations on making it to college on your own then. I'm sure you must be the first person ever from accyweb to ever get into such an esteemed place of higher education. Oh sorry, no I forgot I did it years ago to as I also managed with Uni. I also had over 3 miles each way to travel to college which I managed all on my own without any handout from anyone and no, my dad couldn't work because of a medical condition and we didn't have obviously as much money as you(sorry, make that your parents). I had to get a JOB and earn my own money.

Quote:
I think it is high time you grew up. I have absolutely no interest on how much or how little money you or your parents have. I think you may find the big bad world of work a surprising place when you actually make it to it.

Perhaps you should also be aware of the bozo bin that exists here. It will take only a single click for people to confine you to shouting into an empty room. You may wish to listen to some of the other more experienced posters and tone down your responses or Accyweb may become a very lonely place for you.

Should you wish to take this off accyweb I am happy to chat either over any IM client or even face to face on Saturday night at the meet.

Respectfully yours, etc

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 18:09   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas-045
I take it you mean Mopeds when you say Moped's. Why did the apostrophe make an appearance?

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 18:19   #43
I am Banned

ok not sticking up for anyone here but im so very sorry but i cannot stand lancashire united buses! i would rather walk to blakburn or surrounding areas than get on one of those!
my reasons are:
1) very expensive (blackburn buses are cheaper)
2) very rude drivers (who swear at you or maybe its just me when i get one)
3) im probably more comfy sitting on a rock than i am on one of them seats.
4) timetable is horrendous!

i won't drive because i cannot afford to!

the Pilky buses were dangerous though i do have to admit, when i used to go college i used to get that bus everyday and they would go the long way round through oswaldtwistle, going along thwaites road one day and over the speed bumps and my seat collapsed!!! i went right through the seating, yes people piddled themselves laughing but not me until now! as you was coming along union road your head practically hit the roof as they used to go so fast! they were very cheap and it is a shame that they didnt take up the warning the first time and got the buses to scratch they would be on the road now (i think).
baby boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 18:22   #44
mez
God Member

my grandaughter walks from springhill down to the bus stop on blackburn rd ...........& back again in the afternoon .as she is in college in blackburn ..she too does this 4 days Google Page Ranking week ....hail rain or snow, she gets a weekly rover ticket for £11 Google Page Ranking week........ oh by the way i have a car .....but won't take her to the stop or pick her up from it .............when are people supposed to learn independance . can you not get a rover ticket on the rawtenstall buses?
Old 24-01-2006, 19:29   #45
Beacon of light

2) very rude drivers (who swear at you or maybe its just me when i get one)

Baby Boo.....if they swear at you take their name and report them....and TELL them that you are going to report them. You should not have to put up with abuse from someone who is supposed to be providing a public service.

It is crazy that public transport costs so much money and is so unreliable.
I have travelled all over the world and have experienced some excellent public transport systems, which are reliable and do not cost the earth.
In Australia a first class train ticket on a journey of over 400miles cost just under £30 RETURN. The cities all have free buses......if you live in the suburbs you can buy a train ticket into the city and use your train ticket to access the ferries and buses that run beyond the confines of the city. The government want us all to abandon our cars - they have no chance while the public transport system is so ineficient and expensive.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..