Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-08-2009, 23:56   #106
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Landlords

why don't you make it clear andrew, if you support strong action against bad landlords. or not.
Old 17-08-2009, 23:57   #107
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
why don't you make it clear andrew, if you support strong action against bad landlords. or not.

Of course I support strong action against bad landlords. I don't support action against all landlords for the sake of it though as I don't think all of them are bad.
Old 17-08-2009, 23:58   #108
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
We know you've done lots in your area. Can you please just make it clear to everyone where you feel the Conservatives are preventing you from dealing with BAD landlords rather than all landlords and over what policy issues?
If anyone demands answers to question from councillors from your party, we are advised on this forum that they are willing to meet with us in their offices, and will willingly answer our concerns.

Perhaps you should do the same with your questions, as they only seem to be of interest to you.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2009, 23:59   #109
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
If anyone demands answers to question from councillors from your party, we are advised on this forum that they are willing to mee with us in their offices, and will willingly answer our concerns.

Perhaps you should do the same with your questions, as they only seem to be of interest to you.
I think its a completely legitimate question to ask. If Graham thinks the Conservatives are voting in the interests of bad landlords then I'm interested to know where he thinks they are doing so.
Old 18-08-2009, 00:04   #110
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Of course I support strong action against bad landlords. I don't support action against all landlords for the sake of it though as I don't think all of them are bad.
so basically are you saying that whats in place don't need to be tightened up in the case of the good ones? if so i think thats rubbish, if a law or act etc needs tightening it needs tightening,its that simple to anyone with common sense.
Old 18-08-2009, 00:05   #111
God Member

Quote:
so basically are you saying that whats in place don't need to be tightened up in the case of the good ones? if so i think thats rubbish, if a law or act etc needs tightening it needs tightening,its that simple to anyone with common sense.
There's no need to punish good landlords because of the actions of bad landlords. You need to use powers that deal with bad landlords..
Old 18-08-2009, 00:10   #112
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I think its a completely legitimate question to ask. If Graham thinks the Conservatives are voting in the interests of bad landlords then I'm interested to know where he thinks they are doing so.

I'm sure there are lots of people on Accy Web with 'legitimate questions' to ask of their Conservative councillors, but they seem too unwilling to join the debate, or at least too afraid to make use of the medium of a local internet forum, and we are told to contact them privately.

I'm sure if you contact Cllr. Jones privately he'll be only too happy to answer all your questions, and you'd stop boring the rest of us with your childlike insistence.

Old 18-08-2009, 00:12   #113
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
There's no need to punish good landlords because of the actions of bad landlords. You need to use powers that deal with bad landlords..
i think standards should be improved n that should cover everyone, fail to see why good landlords would object to that.
Old 18-08-2009, 00:13   #114
Give, give, give member

Quote:
You'd think the good landlords would welcome a tighter legislation, so they aren't all tarred with the same brush as the bad ones.

They've nothing to fear, and I can't see a problem there myself.

Old 18-08-2009, 00:16   #115
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
You'd think the good landlords would welcome a tighter legislation, so they aren't all tarred with the same brush as the bad ones.

They've nothing to fear, and I can't see a problem there myself.
seems we said the same thing at virtually same time, though we differ greatly in many things, funny how conservatives don't see this point.
Old 18-08-2009, 00:24   #116
Give, give, give member

Quote:
seems we said the same thing at virtually same time, though we differ greatly in many things, funny how conservatives don't see this point.
They'd probably think improving employment laws infringed on the civil liberties of good employers too.

Old 18-08-2009, 01:10   #117
God Member

Quote:
i think standards should be improved n that should cover everyone, fail to see why good landlords would object to that.
Well this is why I would like Graham to explain exactly what it is he means. For example I fail to see how taxing good landlords more is going to improve the situation. All it will do is force rents up. We should be tackling bad landlords hard and I'm genuinely interested in hearing about it if Graham has proposed tackling them specifically and the local Tories have opposed it.

It would be wrong to blindly follow either side without the full facts. Certainly don't think it's childish to inquire, think it's pretty healthy debate to have all the cards on show.

Last edited by andrewb; 18-08-2009 at 01:17.
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 02:37   #118
God Member

which party was it that authorised the selling off of nearly all teh council houses in teh first place with this right to buy crap

if council houses were still council owned there wouldnt be such a need for private rented property as there is now and although there woudl probably still be bad landlords there woudlnt be as many

teh only reason tehre are so many rented properties now is because the demand for then is there and if the councils had built more properties instea dof selling them off things woudnt be as bad as they are now for teh poor sods whos houses loose value because most of teh street is rented properties

ps:

both govenments tory and labour are guilty of not providing housing or funding councils or instructing councils to build houses and rely on landlords to buy houses to sort out teh housing problems instead of actually doing somthing to fix it themselves

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 18-08-2009 at 02:41.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 11:08   #119

Andrew I can give you an example of how the controlling group (ie Tories) are only paying lip service to the problems of bad landlords. Hyndburn council have a list of properties which are in a bad state of repair - this is reviewed every couple of months. There is a certain landlord who has numerous properties on this list, causing all sorts of problems for the people who are unfortunate enough to live near to one of these properties. However there is not a great deal of enforcement action being taken against him.
I have been to several meetings of the Environmental Improvement Working Group and the only conclusion I have drawn from the lack of action against this landlord is that the controlling group have a distinct lack of interest in trying to solve the problem of bad landlords.

Unless really strong action is taken against bad landlords - the good landlords risk being stigmatized as well.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 11:11   #120
God Member

is this list of bad lanlords available to teh public so they can check it before buying a house near them because if it isnt it should be.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..