Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2009, 19:50   #151
Senior Member+

Re: Landlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
So, what do you do about the idiots next door that own their own property ? Not all the 'scumbags' as have been labelled are in rented property. It is just a social problem.

Problem with some landlords is that they will not always act on the enforcements, to improve their property, that are in place, and are quite happy to sit back and wait for a CPO (compulsory purchase order) from the council ... which, as ours, do not always have the money to implement.
A bit more tricky I admit.

-Noise Nusiance - new tougher legislation.
-Enforcement eventually leading to land charges to ultimately repossession.
-Enforcement, we use very little. You will be staggered what laws exist against nuisance neighbours.
-Tough Policing
-Local Laws - Ban on street drinking
-Community Contracts (on new developments) like in blocks of apartments.
and of course - change the laws nationally.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-08-2009, 19:52   #152
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I don't have a solution for it and I doubt any councillors in the area do either, otherwise I'd have thought they'd have been sorting out the problem.
That's because the issues and the solutions, the people out there campaigning for change; the people who hold power who do not want change, all these are passing you by leaving unable to decide clearly what is best.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 19:54   #153
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
A bit more tricky I admit.

-Noise Nusiance - new tougher legislation.
-Enforcement eventually leading to land charges to ultimately repossession.
-Enforcement, we use very little. You will be staggered what laws exist against nuisance neighbours.
-Tough Policing
-Local Laws - Ban on street drinking
-Community Contracts (on new developments) like in blocks of apartments.
and of course - change the laws nationally.
The majority of that isn't necessary. You don't change the people by changing the law. Making it stricter only leads to disproportionate convictions as well and it costs money.

Strengthening community spirit is what is needed. I'd like to see more allotments and family schemes. Community centres like when I was a wee lass. Social inclusion. Not fragmentation by separating good from bad. Everyone has good in them if they have the opportunity to feel a responsible member of something.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 20:17   #154
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Quote:
In Peel & Barnfield I have a Home Front Scheme open to Landlords (all houses actually) to improve the frontages of their properties.
Where can I find more info on this Graham?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 20:34   #155
God Member

Quote:
Qualification for 50% Council Tax discount by Landlords is based on 6 months empty. So how will that force up rents when they are empty??
Err... You're kidding right?
Old 22-08-2009, 20:42   #156
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Err... You're kidding right?
Why not it is no different from those with holiday homes who have reduced rates for the afore mentioned home.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 20:44   #157
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Why not it is no different from those with holiday homes who have reduced rates for the afore mentioned home.
I think what Andrew is saying is that if the relief on council tax is taken from the empty properties the landlords will increase rent on tenanted properties to recoup the lost money.
Old 22-08-2009, 20:50   #158
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I think what Andrew is saying is that if the relief on council tax is taken from the empty properties the landlords will increase rent on tenanted properties to recoup the lost money.
Is that legal though? Keep forgetting the rules up here are different. If they increase it to recoup lost revenue then there is a chance that others might quit these houses. Seems like a catch 22.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 20:54   #159
God Member

Rent prices are regulated. You can't charge excessive rent to dodge tax.

The question is how many landlords are caught doing it?
Old 22-08-2009, 20:56   #160
Accy Red

Quote:
In Peel & Barnfield I have a Home Front Scheme open to Landlords (all houses actually) to improve the frontages of their properties.
I've searched this but it appears this scheme only happens in areas with a large asian population, I knew it sounded too good to be true.

You can't apply for this scheme the Council will contact you directly and invite you to apply

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 22-08-2009, 20:57   #161
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
I've searched this but it appears this scheme only happens in areas with a large asian population, I knew it sounded too good to be true.

You can't apply for this scheme the Council will contact you directly and invite you to apply
It happens in Oswaldtwistle. No 'large asian population' there. It is granted on the basis of household income isn't it?
Old 22-08-2009, 21:00   #162
Accy Red

Quote:
It happens in Oswaldtwistle. No 'large asian population' there. It is granted on the basis of household income isn't it?
Just what I read on HBC website, doesn't mention any work in Ossy.

Old 22-08-2009, 21:01   #163
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Is that legal though? Keep forgetting the rules up here are different. If they increase it to recoup lost revenue then there is a chance that others might quit these houses. Seems like a catch 22.
I don't know whether it is legal but you can bet it would be tried. As has been said a few times in this thread a lot of landlords don't maintain the properties, they are just left in disrepair. Surely this practice should be dealt with along with problem tenants.
Old 22-08-2009, 21:15   #164
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I don't know whether it is legal but you can bet it would be tried. As has been said a few times in this thread a lot of landlords don't maintain the properties, they are just left in disrepair. Surely this practice should be dealt with along with problem tenants.
Disrepair is already regulated by the law as well, so it'd perhaps be better that either this was made even tighter or it was actually enforced better.
Old 22-08-2009, 21:35   #165
God Member

Quote:
I can answer this.

Because landlords aren't all the same, and sometimes in order to get thinks to an equal standard you need to treat people differently.

The EU taught me that
I wouldnt brag about learning somthing from the EU lol

isnt it them lot that demanded bannas not be aloowed to be sold if too curved or somthing ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..