Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Leader of The Labour Party
Diane Abbott 1 6.25%
Ed Balls 2 12.50%
Andy Burnham 2 12.50%
David Miliband 5 31.25%
Ed Miliband 6 37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2010, 10:12   #106
God Member

Re: Leader of The Labour Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Hey the british public in general, have short memories, whilst convinced now, when the cuts really hit n they start crapping themselves, its amazing how minds soon change n forget.
Yep.. but whatever the public may feel this Government cannot be voted out within the next five years.. no amount of any civil disorder, strikes or discontent can get rid of them.. the law they are about to bring in means they cannot be ousted by any means...I don't think this was mentioned in the run up to the election... like I say.. ever get the feeling you've been conned?
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-09-2010, 10:50   #107
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
Yep.. but whatever the public may feel this Government cannot be voted out within the next five years.. no amount of any civil disorder, strikes or discontent can get rid of them.. the law they are about to bring in means they cannot be ousted by any means...I don't think this was mentioned in the run up to the election... like I say.. ever get the feeling you've been conned?
Oh am well aware of that, but view i take is that whilst theres always a % who will always vote Lab,Con, Lib, theres a good % they call floating voters, of these a % are complete knobheads, who will vote whatever they think suits them, n sod everyone else, this is in the main, the society good old maggie created, if the new lab leader comes across trustworthy,n is seen to be making the right noises, those knobheads will be in his lap, come the next election, only time will tell if i'm correct, hope i'm around to witness it.
Old 28-09-2010, 11:43   #108
God Member

Question: What have Red Ed, Cameron and his fag boy Clegg got in common?

Answer: None has ever done a proper job in their lives. Straight from university into politics and nothing in between. And they wonder why they are treated with contempt.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 12:00   #109
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Question: What have Red Ed, Cameron and his fag boy Clegg got in common?

Answer: None has ever done a proper job in their lives. Straight from university into politics and nothing in between. And they wonder why they are treated with contempt.

They didn't need a proper job though, students know everything
Old 28-09-2010, 14:04   #110
Senior Member+

Have you ever seen the winner of a leadership election look more awkward, embarrassed, uncomfortable and guilty? He looked like a little boy who has been caught doing something very naughty and embarrassing. Which he has. His body language with his brother said it all!
David Milliband, by contrast, showed maturity, control and stateman-like behavior which his brother couldn't get close to. His speech, from a man in his position, was excellent. No doubt in my mind which of the two would make a future Prime Minister! The Con-Dems must have decided there was a God after all.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 14:26   #111
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

just listened to ed millibands first speech IMHO right man fer the job.
Old 28-09-2010, 17:58   #112
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Something in politics we can agree on cashy and I didn't hear the speech
Old 28-09-2010, 18:05   #113
Senior Member+

Quote:
Must admit he came over a bit more self assured than i thought he might after the vote result on Saturday, he really looked like a Rabbit caught in the Car Headlights then...quite timid i thought then. Be interesting to see how he copes in the Commons Head to Heads against Cameron. I have a sneaky feeling the Tories are just a little more worried by him than they are letting on...time will tell!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 18:29   #114
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Something in politics we can agree on cashy and I didn't hear the speech
I tend to agree with everything I don't hear as well.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 18:31   #115
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
The Government can be voted out anytime by losing a vote of confidence in the House of Commons .

The new 5 year policy means that the Prime Minister cannot of his own volition decide to call a general election .

Initially the Prime Minister wanted the vote of confidence to be lost by 50 votes before there was a need for an election . Many of his own back-benchers could not accept this , so he has had to stay with the tradtional ruling that a vote of confidence could be lost by one vote after which there has to be an election .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 18:34   #116
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Have you ever seen the winner of a leadership election look more awkward, embarrassed, uncomfortable and guilty? He looked like a little boy who has been caught doing something very naughty and embarrassing. Which he has. His body language with his brother said it all!
David Milliband, by contrast, showed maturity, control and stateman-like behavior which his brother couldn't get close to. His speech, from a man in his position, was excellent. No doubt in my mind which of the two would make a future Prime Minister! The Con-Dems must have decided there was a God after all.
My TV must have shown a different speech .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 04:07   #117
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Well not long in & already "trouble at Mill" ! As to Haridan Harman, moral standards ?

Caught unawares, David Miliband finally makes true feelings known - UK Politics, UK - The Independent
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 06:12   #118
God Member

A little boy is sulking and won't play, because he can't be 'king of the castle', doesn't that make you glad he didn't win?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 06:40   #119
Beacon of light

Yes it does make you glad he didn't win. It seems like the boy David will now take his ball and go home. How sad is that......does he not realise that he could have worked very well with his brother........been part of what could be the making of a better political party(if there is such an animal).

I listened with interest to the speech from Milliband Junior.......and while there was much said that struck a chord wwith the likes of you and me(like...the war was wrong), there was nothing put forward as to how changes were going to be effected......so, 'fine words butter no parsnips'.....and as I have remarked in the past when you are in opposition, you can say what you like, your words are unlikely to be tested until you get into power, and then it is a whole different ball game.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2010, 06:45   #120
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Furthermore is this just about underlining & highlighting Labors "Ethnicity & Diversity" credentials as opposed to placing appropriate people to appropriate jobs ? Seem to recall a certain female member of said party demanding this not so long back !

Women could make up half of new Shadow Cabinet - UK Politics, UK - The Independent

Horses for courses ? Or appeasement ?
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..