Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 18:40   #301
Give, give, give member

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
What are the council saying? That the traders are being stick in the mud?

If there really was a demand for 6 day opening from the general public, why would the traders fight against it? They are the ones who would profit most from it.

I would go with the traders who know their own business. The Council will never succeed by co-ercion.
Many councillors remind me of that other old saying, when it comes to economics.

Those that can, do.

Those that can't, teach.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-09-2010, 18:47   #302
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Many councillors remind me of that other old saying, when it comes to economics.

Those that can, do.

Those that can't, teach.
Err......I don't think that's a quote from economics - or at least I don't remember it from my studies. I do remember that each year the exam questions were the same; the answers however, were different.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 18:53   #303
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I do remember that each year the questions were the same; the answers however, were different.
Good grief, how similar to the Conservative answers on wi-fi at the Market Hall.

Let's see if they revert to the original promise of full installation when questioned at council next week.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 19:07   #304
Common Sense Member

Front page of the Observer tonight.

Can't be that big a deal then, can it?

Old 09-09-2010, 19:51   #305
JCB

Where is the brass plaque dedicated to Peter Britcliffe ?
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 20:45   #306
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Front page of the Observer tonight.

Can't be that big a deal then, can it?
Makes good reading. Ian Smith's family has had a stall on the market since 1929. His great ,great grand father was a stone mason who helped sculpt the statues on the market hall,so his heart is burned deep into the walls and floor.His passion for the market is very obvious if you talk to him. He and the traders are asking to be listened to.They can not sign the leases until the Market Handbook / regulations have been passed , the leases say that the traders agree to opening the hours and days stated in it . The draft copy says 6 days 9-5 !
They are not stupid , most have kept businesses running through the past economical problems in the counrty. So if a 6 day week would work they would be on it by now !!!! the old saying a made market day does not work is still true. I believe a survey was done by the traders of people visiting the market hall during the normal market days and the over whelming majority of people said they would not shop on a wednesdays in the market hall. This is not a commercial decission it is a political driven matter and to hell with who it crushes on the way. These are independant retailers not goverment owned and you will do well to remember that Our glorious leader !!
Wizardess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 20:46   #307
Junior Member+

it is on the wall at the side of the Cafe`s. near the new lift. it says re opening of the market hall , it never closed !
Wizardess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 22:43   #308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardess View Post
it is on the wall at the side of the Cafe`s. near the new lift. it says re opening of the market hall , it never closed !
But it could well close if this lunacy regarding the new contracts is allowed to continue.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:43   #309
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardess View Post
Makes good reading. Ian Smith's family has had a stall on the market since 1929. His great ,great grand father was a stone mason who helped sculpt the statues on the market hall,so his heart is burned deep into the walls and floor.His passion for the market is very obvious if you talk to him. He and the traders are asking to be listened to.They can not sign the leases until the Market Handbook / regulations have been passed , the leases say that the traders agree to opening the hours and days stated in it . The draft copy says 6 days 9-5 !
They are not stupid , most have kept businesses running through the past economical problems in the counrty. So if a 6 day week would work they would be on it by now !!!! the old saying a made market day does not work is still true. I believe a survey was done by the traders of people visiting the market hall during the normal market days and the over whelming majority of people said they would not shop on a wednesdays in the market hall. This is not a commercial decission it is a political driven matter and to hell with who it crushes on the way. These are independant retailers not goverment owned and you will do well to remember that Our glorious leader !!
Just bear in mind that the only real problem is the 'cheap political point-scoring' that myself and other councillors are doing. The market and the new lease agreements would be fine if the traders would simply move into the 21st century, it's just us evil Labour members picking on poor Cllrs Haworth and Britcliffe.

Honest.

We want that gallery to be full next week so that the Leader of the Council and the portfolio holder for markets (titles which they are quick to remind everyone of at every opportunity) can stand up and address their accusers with a rapier wit and a well-turned trouser.

I suspect the buck will be well and truly passed when the time comes.

Old 10-09-2010, 09:46   #310
Common Sense Member

I'll make a wager with anyone who's willing that Britcliffe can't answer any question next week without referring to Graham Jones.

The Market Hall problem? Graham Jones.....

Area Managerment calendars? If Graham Jones didn't own two houses.....

Taxi licensing? Under Graham Jones' leadership.......

Bet you. He just can't help himself.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:13   #311
Give, give, give member

Have any councillors declared an interest in the Market Hall, and therefore won't be voting?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:27   #312
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Have any councillors declared an interest in the Market Hall, and therefore won't be voting?
There are two types of interest in the Market Hall and it's success or failure:

a) A direct interest - a councillor (or his family/friends) actually having a stall within the Market Hall.

b) An indirect interest - a councillor (or his family/friends) running a retail outlet outside the Market Hall, but which nevertheless is in competition with those inside the Hall and as such it would be to their advantage to make trading conditions within the Market Hall as unfavourable as possible.

Are there any councillors who would fall into this latter category?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 15:39   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
There are two types of interest in the Market Hall and it's success or failure:

a) A direct interest - a councillor (or his family/friends) actually having a stall within the Market Hall.

b) An indirect interest - a councillor (or his family/friends) running a retail outlet outside the Market Hall, but which nevertheless is in competition with those inside the Hall and as such it would be to their advantage to make trading conditions within the Market Hall as unfavourable as possible.

Are there any councillors who would fall into this latter category?
I am sure you will provide those who don't already know with the answer.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 15:57   #314
Senior Member+

Market Hall Refurbishment

Finally, today, I found the plaque :-

As someone mentioned earlier, the market hall NEVER closed (was a bit awkward at times, but never closed).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg accyweb Market plaque Sept 2010.jpg (278.5 KB, 20 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 16:37   #315
Junior Member+

A suggestion / comments box will be available at Ian Smith's stall, M & I K Smith (Bacon and cook Meats) tomorrow Saturday 11th sept ,it will be there for approx 2 weeks .
The AMTA (Accrington Market Traders Association) want the points of view of the people and visitors to Accrington's Market and Market Hall.
All comments and suggestions welcomed ,new ideas , good or not so good. They would like your input. Please pass the message along to all you know.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..