Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2010, 17:37   #316
Give, give, give member

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Finally, today, I found the plaque :-

As someone mentioned earlier, the market hall NEVER closed (was a bit awkward at times, but never closed).
How stupid.

As you say, it never closed. Therefore wasn't 're-opened'.

I suppose it would have been harder justifying having your name on a brass plaque, if it just said 'tarted up', or 'refurbished'.

Historically it has always been a mayoral duty, when civic dedications are unveiled.

Perhaps I just missed the news that that rule book has now been thrown away, and it's now the council leader, and their partner in grime, who have their names immortalized for all time.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-09-2010, 17:42   #317
God Member

I wonder how long it will be there before the gypo's nick it for scrap?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 17:45   #318
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I wonder how long it will be before the gypo's nick it for scrap?

I pondered that too.

Then came to the conclusion that it's probably welded to the wall, and fastened with twelve inch bolts.

It'll certainly be securer than the pavements across the road in Church Street. Which are a death trap.

Old 10-09-2010, 17:46   #319
Beacon of light

Pray that it is soon.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 17:49   #320
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardess View Post
A suggestion / comments box will be available at Ian Smith's stall, M & I K Smith (Bacon and cook Meats) tomorrow Saturday 11th sept ,it will be there for approx 2 weeks .
The AMTA (Accrington Market Traders Association) want the points of view of the people and visitors to Accrington's Market and Market Hall.
All comments and suggestions welcomed ,new ideas , good or not so good. They would like your input. Please pass the message along to all you know.
Be interesting how many councillors are also customers, and who fill in the forms.

I know who I see in there, on my twice weekly shopping trips, and who's reportedly seen doing a once weekly shop in their cars, at one of the supermarkets.

Old 10-09-2010, 20:33   #321
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Have any councillors declared an interest in the Market Hall, and therefore won't be voting?
Cllr Britcliffe has, and fair enough as it's by the rules.

Cllr Haworth apparently is intending to declare an interest although no one seems sure why.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 22:36   #322
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

Cllr Haworth apparently is intending to declare an interest although no one seems sure why.
That's odd.

Maybe she's an investor.

Perhaps she loaned the money to pay for the brass plaque, that bears her name.

Old 10-09-2010, 22:38   #323
God Member

...Or maybe she doesn't want any part in the sorry mess.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 22:44   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

Ken which of the 2 Cllr Haworth's (is it Marlene Haworth or Susan Haworth) are declaring an interest?
(I thought I should state that there were 2 members of HBC called Haworth, in case Garinda was concerned we had 2 councillors on HBC who had alter egos - thankfully only Malcolm appears to have 2 separate personas. )

If its Marlene I wonder what it is, as I am pretty sure just being the Cabinet member responsible for Markets, she would not have either personal or prejudicial interest. If she has a prejudicial interest she should not have been involved in the Market refurbishment in the first place.

Last edited by claytonender; 10-09-2010 at 22:47.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 22:47   #325
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Ken which of the 2 Cllr Haworth's (is it Marlene Haworth or Susan Haworth) are declaring an interest?

If its Marlene I wonder what it is, as I am pretty sure just being the Cabinet member responsible for Markets, she would not have either personal or prejudicial interest. If she has a prejudicial interest she should not have been involved in the Market refurbishment in the first place.
Oh dear, hope its not another "Skeleton"?
Old 11-09-2010, 03:45   #326
Resting in Peace

I was in the market hall yesterday and got behind a out of town old couple they where chatting as they walked into the hall saying how good it used to be and how long its been since they where last here as they got into the hall they stopped and looked round and said " whats happed the market is empty,where have all the stalls gone" i had to smile to myself and thought yep thats what we all think
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:59   #327
Beacon of light

Whatever those councils bods decide, will have the life of the Market Hall in their hands......and my guess is that they will railroad through this hare brained scheme and the Market Hall will die because the traders will leave.

The traders know their trade....the type and the volume. They know if it is worth trading 6 days.......and it is all very well saying that more people will go into the Market hall if it is open, but they won't necessarily buy anything.
In these days of financial constraints, there is only so much money about....opening for another day only spreads that money thinner....reducing the traders profit and I can see some of them leaving rather than going bankrupt on a councils badly thought out principles/whim.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:28   #328
Resting in Peace

Don't know about the inside market but when i used to stand the outside one with another bloke called hue we sold computers and peripherals and software.
Monday market closed
Tuesday quiet
Wednesday closed
Thursday (flea market was busy)
friday very busy (pay day)
Saturday very busy
Sunday was dead did not sell much at all.

just while on about the inside market (just to bring it back on thread) a little story
one of the stalls that used to sell eggs had trays of them on the front counter the butcher that was on the next stall nicked a tray of eggs the stall holder was telling him that someone had nicked a full try of eggs but did not know how, the next day the tray of eggs was replaced all the eggs in that tray had been hard boiled the customers that came back complaining, he did see the funny side and we found it hilarious

If by any chance you where one of the customers that bought them i hope you found it funny too
and yes the bucher did pay for the eggs

Last edited by Mick; 11-09-2010 at 07:41.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:50   #329
God Member

maybe a dumb question , but how many of the ' new' businesses on the upper floor are actually retail ? selling products usually found on a traditional market
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:53   #330
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
maybe a dumb question , but how many of the ' new' businesses on the upper floor are actually retail ? selling products usually found on a traditional market
Well I walked round the upper floor a few weeks ago and the answer I come up with from that visit is none You would be shocked and saddened if you were to visit Accrington anytime soon believe me!!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..