Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-08-2010, 07:36   #196
Common Sense Member

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Ken, ask them how much their rent has gone up too
Will do, Shaz.

From what I can gather, although the market hall has had a rather nice facelift it has come at a cost to the people who actually make it tick and it sounds like they could do with a louder voice in the Council chamber which is why I want to go and speak to them.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-08-2010, 07:41   #197
God Member

good lad, it's going to be a similar situation with Blackburn when their market moves into the Mall, there will be hardly anything in there because of the rent increase
Old 16-08-2010, 15:08   #198
Senior Member+

Quote:
good lad, it's going to be a similar situation with Blackburn when their market moves into the Mall, there will be hardly anything in there because of the rent increase
Yep, smaller traders whose stalls have been in the Market for years cannot afford to move into the mall. So the likes of the Cheese stall and the Sarsaparilla Beer stall will now vanish! Moves like this destroy individuality and the small traders that Markets are the whole point of! I'm fed up going to different towns just to see exactly the same outlets in each one!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 17:33   #199
God Member

my dads cousin works on the Sarsaparilla stall, has done for years, i'll have to ask him what they are going to do
Old 16-08-2010, 17:38   #200
Senior Member+

Quote:
my dads cousin works on the Sarsaparilla stall, has done for years, i'll have to ask him what they are going to do
There's been a younger chap on the stall the last couple of times i've been, not the older chap wi glasses who always used to be on there, with his old Mam!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 18:12   #201
God Member

there's the older fella with glasses (it's his stall), then my dads cousin Dave (small fella with a grey beard) then the younger tall lad
Old 17-08-2010, 14:26   #202
Common Sense Member

The market hall, whilst looking superb for the most part, is certainly not finished in my book. Dodgy flooring and ramps, raised drain covers and ten empty stalls on the ground floor alone. It must be said that the occupied stalls were superb and the footfall was undeserving of the quality on display from the traders but something is clearly lacking on the higher management side.

Having spoken to the stallholders they are clearly not happy with one person in particular (and you know who you are).

It's a real pity because it has the potential to be a top-notch market.

Old 17-08-2010, 15:20   #203
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
The market hall, whilst looking superb for the most part, is certainly not finished in my book. Dodgy flooring and ramps, raised drain covers and ten empty stalls on the ground floor alone. It must be said that the occupied stalls were superb and the footfall was undeserving of the quality on display from the traders but something is clearly lacking on the higher management side.

Having spoken to the stallholders they are clearly not happy with one person in particular (and you know who you are).

It's a real pity because it has the potential to be a top-notch market.
Traditionally, Tuesday was the busiest market day. Second only to Saturday.

Sadly this is no longer the case, and 'Knock Off Thursday', or as it is more quaintly known, the Flea and Collectables Market, now produces the largest footfall

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 16:19   #204
God Member

Mossy did you ask about the rent increase?
Old 17-08-2010, 18:31   #205
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Mossy did you ask about the rent increase?
I did indeed, Shaz. Some of them have had it increased by 50% overnight and traders who have been there for generations are now on the verge of leaving.

At least there is a massive brass plaque dedicated to Cllr Peter Britcliffe, Leader of the Council, for his work renovating the Market Hall.

Well done.

Old 17-08-2010, 18:34   #206
God Member

I have a strong feeling that this will be PB's white 'elephant in the room'
.....his downfall brought about by his own vanity

Last edited by MargaretR; 17-08-2010 at 18:36.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 18:36   #207
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have a strong feeling that this will be PB's white elephant in the room
I thought he was a white elephant?
Old 17-08-2010, 18:39   #208
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post

At least there is a massive brass plaque dedicated to Cllr Peter Britcliffe, Leader of the Council, for his work renovating the Market Hall.

wonder how long it will be before someone pulls the plaque down and weighs it in?

i'll congratulate them when they do
Old 17-08-2010, 18:42   #209
God Member

Quote:
wonder how long it will be before someone pulls the plaque down and weighs it in?

i'll congratulate them when they do
I prefer it to stay there, so that people know who is responsible for the whole fiasco.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 18:43   #210
God Member

this is true

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..