Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 23:05   #91
Give, give, give member

Re: Market Hall Refurbishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Still, very decent of Gordon to make a contribution and lighten our load...has he got some sort of personal connection with Accy Market Hall that motivated him to act with such generosity?
Cold meat?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-07-2010, 23:06   #92
Give, give, give member

Or perhaps tripe.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:09   #93
Senior Member+

Quote:
...and here was me thinking that us poor old taxpayers would have had to cough up the whole £1.5m. Still, very decent of Gordon to make a contribution and lighten our load...has he got some sort of personal connection with Accy Market Hall that motivated him to act with such generosity?
The HiPs (Housing Improvement Programme) was allocated to only the deprived Borough's on some formulaic basis. Hyndburn is ranked a 40th from the bottom out of 354?

We received £2.8m, £2.8m, £2.1m and £1.4m over four hears to last year. It came unringfenced and local councils were expected to spend the money accordingly (housing).

Hyndburn's housing policy states future monies will be spent on housing in places particularly Rishton and Great Harwood and not in areas covered by previous or current schemes (such as ELEVATE).

The HiPs money has been used for such things as flower towers, prop up Area Councils and Area Council budgets, Oswaldtwistle Civic Theatre refurbishment, Broadway resurfacing, Pendle Street demolition. The Council has not raised any money itself but used this fund to fund all it's extra expenditure.

The money has now ended. As has £960 LAA grant as part of nearly £3million of cuts excluding the HiPs.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:11   #94
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
The HiPs (Housing Improvement Programme) was allocated to only the deprived Borough's on some formulaic basis. Hyndburn is ranked a 40th from the bottom out of 354?

We received £2.8m, £2.8m, £2.1m and £1.4m over four hears to last year. It came unringfenced and local councils were expected to spend the money accordingly (housing).

Hyndburn's housing policy states future monies will be spent on housing in places particularly Rishton and Great Harwood and not in areas covered by previous or current schemes (such as ELEVATE).

The HiPs money has been used for such things as flower towers, prop up Area Councils and Area Council budgets, Oswaldtwistle Civic Theatre refurbishment, Broadway resurfacing, Pendle Street demolition. The Council has not raised any money itself but used this fund to fund all it's extra expenditure.

The money has now ended. As has £960 LAA grant as part of nearly £3million of cuts excluding the HiPs.
'Expected' to spend it on housing.

Was there no legal requirement for them to do so, and not spend it on flower towers etc.?

Old 07-07-2010, 11:44   #95
Common Sense Member

No votes for St Andrews in Rishton or Great Harwood.

Rishton, that well-known market town, is desperately in need of flower towers. Prospects have been useless in making the town look pretty on shoestring charity contributions and hundreds of hours of unpaid voluntary work, tidying up scrubland, litter picking and making flower beds from plants rescued from certain doom in skips.

We really really need that extra £115k that Peter Britcliffe is proposing to spend on the Floral Market Towns project.

Honest.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:30   #96
Give, give, give member

Some interesting photographs and drawings on here, of the Market Hall.

BBC - In pictures: Accrington market revamp

Old 08-07-2010, 07:35   #97
Resting in Peace

The photo of the market stall now thats a propper market stall not like the little things they have now.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:42   #98
Beacon of light

Yes, I stand by my earlier impressions....the work has cost a lot of money, and it hasn't enhanced the market hall that much.
As for the Market hall being used for exhibitions, buskers and music......that isn't the prime function of a Market hall......the prime function should be the sale and display of goods that are for sale.....and preferably local produce.
The vast modern staircase is not in keeping with the general antiquity/quaintness of the building and looks out of place.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 14:57   #99
Senior Member+

I think the Market Hall certainly looks a lot cleaner and fresher, but i think much of this could have been achieved at considerably less expense. I dont think there will be such a significant increase in footfall, to justify the level of money that has been spent.

I assume the Council will have done a study of this...so would be interested to know what their figures say the increased footfall maybe, matched against what it was?

I agree with Margaret, that there should not have been a large area at the Market Front left open for Exhibitions/Arts etc, plenty of room outside the Market Hall for that. It just does not look right...or particularily welcoming...it looks like we couldn't fill it with enough traders!

Maybe the area upstairs on the opposite side of the New Cafe could have been reserved for that. Because i also feel that in the long run, most of the upstairs will prove to be a White Elephant and will remain under occupied. Its not an area thats obvious to a lot of people, and access around is not good. OK you have a lift to get you up and down, but there's no space for 2 people with Prams or Wheelchairs to pass each other, so people with those just wont bother going up there.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 15:51   #100
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
A shame about the cafe has always been a good meeting place for a brew with friends/family
I went in there a few times and always thought it was full of drunks and weirdos!
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 16:23   #101
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I went in there a few times and always thought it was full of drunks and weirdos!
Never seen any drunks using it and it depends what you term weirdos But to be honest I don't spend my time judging people
Old 08-07-2010, 17:05   #102
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Never seen any drunks using it and it depends what you term weirdos But to be honest I don't spend my time judging people
We really should have sat on the stools, rather than the floor, when we used to meet in there.

Perhaps we should have put the gin bottles we were drinking from in paper bags, so visiting students wouldn't have us down as two lushes.

Old 08-07-2010, 20:29   #103
Super Moderator

So, is Russ's caff still there?
Old 08-07-2010, 20:31   #104
Senior Member+

Quote:
So, is Russ's caff still there?
Yep Russ is still there....back in his usual position now!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 20:38   #105
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Yep Russ is still there....back in his usual position now!

Best Regards - Taggy
Cheers, mate, wouldn't want to miss my Sat lunchtime brew!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..