Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 10:48   #91
Resting in Peace

Re: Mitt Romney

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
True, jaysay, but no politician I've ever come across has been such a blatant liar!

(sounds like an invitation to give examples of other politicians behaving badly!)
Does "Things can only get better not ring a bell"
Old 02-09-2012, 10:51   #92
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Does "Things can only get better not ring a bell"
There is a difference between being stupidly over optimistic about the future, and telling lies about the past.

Plenty of politicians appear to be liars because they believe their own hype, but in reality they are just misguided.

This guy Ryan takes it to new levels of dishonesty!
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:00   #93
Super Moderator

Quote:
There is a difference between being stupidly over optimistic about the future, and telling lies about the past.

Plenty of politicians appear to be liars because they believe their own hype, but in reality they are just misguided.

This guy Ryan takes it to new levels of dishonesty!
And what about telling us lies about the present, as it was then? What about taking us to war - a war that killed British lads and lasses and untold Iraqis - on a lie?

"Misguided"? Do me a favour!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:05   #94
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
And what about telling us lies about the present, as it was then? What about taking us to war - a war that killed British lads and lasses and untold Iraqis - on a lie?

"Misguided"? Do me a favour!
Tony Blair was ridiculously misguided, believed his own hype, was led completely up the garden path by the war mongering of Bush. He was pathetic, weak, bullying, blind and stupid.

But he wasn't a liar. I don't think he was intelligent enough for that!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:13   #95
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Tony Blair was ridiculously misguided, believed his own hype, was led completely up the garden path by the war mongering of Bush. He was pathetic, weak, bullying, blind and stupid.

That's not being misguided that's criminal, and yes he was a liar and admitted it about the 40 minutes to bomb London that was a complete and utter lie
Old 02-09-2012, 11:16   #96
Super Moderator

Quote:

Are you joking? He's highly intelligent. As for your assertation that he wasn't a liar, you definitely must be joking. He led this country into war on a lie in order to further his ambitions as a world statesman. Fortunately everybody except you and a few Labour diehards like Bernard, saw right through him.
Old 04-09-2012, 13:14   #97

If this chap does become president, as seems unlikely at the moment, the lunatics really will have been let out of the asylum. As a newspaper columnist put it recently, he'll make George Dubya seem like a bringer of peace and happiness.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:45   #98
Senior Member+

Michelle won the battle of the wives by a mile. She makes a great First Lady. I've forgotten about the other one already!

And did I see Paul Ryan wheeling on his family at the Republican Convention, including his mother? He should be made to produce birth/wedding certificates to prove the relationship, because everything else he has come out with has been a lie.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:19   #99
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Michelle won the battle of the wives by a mile. She makes a great First Lady. I've forgotten about the other one already!

And did I see Paul Ryan wheeling on his family at the Republican Convention, including his mother? He should be made to produce birth/wedding certificates to prove the relationship, because everything else he has come out with has been a lie.
Well one look at Mrs Romney and it was a none starter for me and I didn't even bother to listen to dialogue
Old 07-09-2012, 11:03   #100
Senior Member+

Having seen President Obama's speech and comparing it to last week's from his Republican opponent, there is surely no contest.

Or am I missing something?

Old 07-09-2012, 11:54   #101
God Member

Quote:
Having seen President Obama's speech and comparing it to last week's from his Republican opponent, there is surely no contest.

Or am I missing something?

What you are missing is the insanely (well, insane in most Western countries, but not in the good ol' US of A) high numbers of social conservatives in America. If one gives it a little thought, one can see distinct similarities between the extreme Republicans and the Taliban. Hopefully, there are enough swing voters to keep the bastards out of power. And, as an afterthought, it is to everyone's benefit to keep religious nutbars away from control of nuclear weapons.

Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:57   #102
God Member

Quote:

How about this scenario: After hearing her speech, some political commentators were suggesting a possible Michelle Obama candidacy in the next Presidential election. Not a bad idea in my opinion. And a distinct possibility.
Old 20-09-2012, 14:40   #103
Resting In Peace

Maybe this would be an idea? What do you think Eric?

BBC News - Canada for president: Can the US learn from the north?
Old 21-09-2012, 14:06   #104
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Maybe this would be an idea? What do you think Eric?

BBC News - Canada for president: Can the US learn from the north?
I don't know if this would be a good idea ... we are very busy up here trying to figure out how we can get through the winter without an NHL hockey season

However, over the past few years, Rick Mercer, and undercover Horseman (that would be RCMP) has been trying to educate Americans about Canada. Looks like he might need some help.

Old 21-09-2012, 14:18   #105
God Member

This reminds me of the day I was in a cafe in Sorrento at a table next to some loud (they are aren't they) young adult Yanks.

They were discussing The Gunpowder Plot and how it was a plot to blow up Margaret Thatcher - seriously - I kid you not!

I had to intervene and give them a mini history lesson.

Last edited by MargaretR; 21-09-2012 at 14:20.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..