Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2008, 01:45   #1
God Member

Mum Has Fractured Her Hip

What a night I have had, got a phone call at about sevenish to say my Mum had fallen and was waiting for an ambulance to take her to Royal Blackburn. My sister picked me up and off we went, it turns out that she has fractured her hip. We spent a lot of time hanging about waiting for x-rays and such like before eventually getting her admitted to the ward at about twelve o'clock.
She is going to have an op but as yet we don't know when because she seems to have developed a leaky heart valve. Although we have been told the heart valve is not serious it is still a worry.
Was just wondering if anybody had been through the same with their mum/grandma and how long it took them to recover. My mum is a very fit seventy-nine year old who doesn't drink or smoke(all good when going for surgery). We have been told that recovery can take anything from six weeks to three months.
Anybody been there done that with elderly relatives?
Old 12-05-2008, 01:57   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Mum Has Fractured Her Hip

sorry no idea, but hope yer mam makes a full recovery soon as. x
Old 12-05-2008, 06:31   #3
God Member

Hope everything turns out ok for you and your mom ....
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:37   #4

My nan had both her hips replaced whilst she was in her 80''s. She had them both done under a local aneasthetic as well!! She assures me she didn't feel a thing, and she was listening to music.

As far as recovery was concerned, she was in hospital for a few days, and had some physio, and as far as I can remember she recovered quite quickly, within weeks and has had no problems since.

I'll ring her later on today and see if she can remember any more, although she is 92 now and her memory has faded and she gets a little confused. I will say that she is a very fit lady though
forceten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:48   #5
God Member

awww Bernie, i hope she'll be ok xx
Old 12-05-2008, 07:56   #6
Senior Member+

Hope she get better soon. x

I know its not the same thing but my Grandma recently had a knee replacement and it took her about 5 weeks and some physio to be back walking without a stick. Shes 69, but she did go private so i dont know if that makes a difference.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:54   #7
Resting in Peace

Hope She's soon better Bernie
Old 12-05-2008, 09:01   #8
Senior Member+

Hope she's ok bernie and all is well again soon xx
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:16   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceten View Post
My nan had both her hips replaced whilst she was in her 80''s. She had them both done under a local aneasthetic as well!! She assures me she didn't feel a thing, and she was listening to music.

As far as recovery was concerned, she was in hospital for a few days, and had some physio, and as far as I can remember she recovered quite quickly, within weeks and has had no problems since.

I'll ring her later on today and see if she can remember any more, although she is 92 now and her memory has faded and she gets a little confused. I will say that she is a very fit lady though
I know this is stupid but I didn't realise we had two hips, I thought it was all just one bone I am stupid sometimes
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:19   #10
Senior Member+

if it was all one bone then your legs wouldnt move

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:29   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
if it was all one bone then your legs wouldnt move
Yeh I am just rubbish with anatomy.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:48   #12
Give, give, give member

Sorry to hear that news Bernie.

I hope your mum makes a full, and speedy, recovery.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:57   #13
God Member

My mum is a rehab nurse on a ward for people that have fallen and fractured/broken their hip!! They are usually rehabilitated within 6 weeks and fit enough to go home within 6 weeks.

It sounds like your mum will be up and about in this time!! You say she is a usually fit and active person?? This is a deffo plus as to her recovery time Bernie. I know it is easier said than done, but try not to worry, she sounds fit as a fiddle other than the hip She will be back on the old pins before you know it

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:00   #14
Resident Waffler

So sorry to hear that Bernie. I hope she will make a full speedy recovery. I think the recovery time depends a lot on the person themselves. My Mum broke her hip when she was in her 70s but she was unnerved by it and afraid to walk much afterwards so she never fully recovered but that was her own unwillingness rather than inability if you know what I mean. We tried to get her up and about again but she just wouldn't.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:38   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I know this is stupid but I didn't realise we had two hips, I thought it was all just one bone I am stupid sometimes
You getting confused with the pelvic bone Blazey LOL.. this is a common error; you ask lots of people where their hip bone is and they would probably indicate this.

Sorry Bernie about your mum, but it is getting to be an extremely successful op. these days, and 6 weeks is about correct, although no reason why she could not walk straightaway with the aid of walking sticks. (Well, maybe bed ridden for 10 days to get over the effects of the op) Like Willow says, think a lot to do with confidence. Do you know if they are replacing or just pinning though ? Think the orthopaedic surgeons now tend just to replace in the elderly as is easier, and saves any further surgery if the pinning is not successful .. as was my case, but this goes back 26 years and things have probably changed.

She will be able to do everything she did before, but they don't advice skiing or cycling ..

Last edited by katex; 12-05-2008 at 12:40.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..