Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-06-2006, 15:58   #166

Re: Observer plug for Accy Web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
However, once again, DeShark, I must pull you up for accusing me of things I haven't said. Where in my posts have I dismissed your statements as "puerile"? Do pay attention in future!
Oh I do apologise. Me and my short attention span. It shall forever be my bane.

As for my unsupported "gut feeling"... It comes from watching as Labour ministers stand up, time and time again, asking if "The Prime Minister would agree that... *insert communist ideology here*?" to which Blair will reply 9 times out of 10 "Well... I understand... but... no". Thus... I can see first hand that Tony Blair does not agree with the rest of his party, in particular the back benchers. There is no measure of how left or right you are (except for the Political Compass of course =p) but it is possible to cite events when certain typically left-wing ideologies are dismissed out of hand by someone who would like to be seen as left-wing. More to the point, I've seen numerous interviews where Tony Blair has shrugged off any hints and him being left wing and not strongly disputed accusations of being right-wing. It is these events that lead to my gut feelings, not conversations with Old Labour supporters.

I do hope that I've not been neglecting to pay adequate attention once more, it might just drive me over the edge...
DeShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-06-2006, 19:53   #167
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
heck i'm a member myself and I have never been to a Con Club.
So, you've never been to a Con Club, but you know all about the sort of people who go there? Classic! Wake up, Cyfr, and come out into the real world.

As for you, DeShark, you're quite happy to have a pop at me for patronising Cyrf, but then you indulge in sarcasm yourself. "It shall forever be my bane". Sixth form comedy.

I reckon you both have a bit of growing up to do but, never mind, one day you'll learn.
Old 17-06-2006, 23:33   #168
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris
So, you've never been to a Con Club, but you know all about the sort of people who go there? Classic! Wake up, Cyfr, and come out into the real world.

I reckon you both have a bit of growing up to do but, never mind, one day you'll learn.
Again, perhaps you should try and form some sort of valid argument. You have already told me that the majority of Tories at the Conservative Club are very right wing. So why would I need to visit a Conservative Club to prove it?

Of course I have growing up to do, it's what people do, even you. However, to try and imply that because you're older your argument is somehow more valid, is absurd. If you don't have a good argument then you could givein, trying to fill the gaps in your argument with petty attacks is not the best way to get your view accross.
Old 18-06-2006, 11:10   #169
Super Moderator

But if you went into a Con Club, you could actually talk to real, live Tory activists and...oh sod it. OK, Cyfr, you win, I "give in" (to use your phrase - you make it sound like an arm wrestling contest!).

I hereby declare that Cyfr is the winner of this debate. By the use of carefully reasoned arguments, he has indisputably proved that the majority of members in today's modern Conservative party are open-minded, idealistic individuals who have an inclusive approach to minorities and a deep concern with social justice for all members of society.

Happy now? Good. Right, I'm off to the pub to celebrate Father's Day with my kids.
Old 18-06-2006, 16:34   #170
Give, give, give member

It's reported in today's Observer that on Tuesday Cameron is to make a speech stating that 'married' homosexual couples will get the same tax advantages as hetrosexual married couples if we get a Tory government.

I'm sure Tories throughout the land will be sat in Con clubs raising a glass to the enlightened attitude of their leader.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 23:06   #171
God Member

So if you just live with your mate, you could get married and pretend to be gay just to get the tax incentives.

The only people who go in our con club are people after cheap booze or old dinosaur cons that still think if your conservative it's the right thing do, to drink there. I don't think any of the forward thinking open minded conservatives do. They're more likely to be in the market tavern, opposite side of the room to labour.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 23:11   #172
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter
So if you just live with your mate, you could get married and pretend to be gay just to get the tax incentives.
I presume so, just like a guy and girl who were sharing a flat could if they really wanted too.

Though when you moved out you'd have to get divorced and do it all again when you left for your next flat.

Though the divorce settlements may outweigh the tax advantages.

Old 18-06-2006, 23:33   #173
God Member

True, i'm glad I didn't get married, was thinking about it, to the ex not a guy, but I'm ok now.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2006, 06:33   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
It's reported in today's Observer that on Tuesday Cameron is to make a speech stating that 'married' homosexual couples will get the same tax advantages as hetrosexual married couples if we get a Tory government.

I'm sure Tories throughout the land will be sat in Con clubs raising a glass to the enlightened attitude of their leader.
It's funny you should say that, as the most Tory person I know is also the gayest person I know. He'll be happy about it.

As am I, despite not being gay, it just goes along with my stance on freedom. Not that I'm a Tory per se.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynomie Harris
I hereby declare that Cyfr is the winner of this debate. By the use of carefully reasoned arguments, he has indisputably proved that the majority of members in today's modern Conservative party are open-minded, idealistic individuals who have an inclusive approach to minorities and a deep concern with social justice for all members of society.
So much for sarcasm being sixth form humour.
DeShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2006, 08:09   #175
Super Moderator

Come on, DeShark, Cyfr has already wiped the floor with me by the sheer persuasive power of his arguments. You wouldn't kick a man when he's down, would you?
Old 21-05-2010, 10:37   #176
Give, give, give member

Oh, happy, innocent, halcyon days, before AW got political.

Old 21-05-2010, 10:47   #177
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Oh, happy, innocent, halcyon days, before AW got political.

AW political never
Old 21-05-2010, 10:54   #178
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
AW political never
Of course not, it is just one long non Political,

PARTEE!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 15:03   #179
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Of course not, it is just one long non Political,

PARTEE!

Hear Hear

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..