Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2005, 21:19   #16
Roy
Administrator

Re: On Behalf of Gayle Night

Quote:
I am sure that the mods will not allow that happen, I for one look forward to reading all the posts on the subject.
We will be keeping our eye on this thread to make sure things don't get to heated I am certainly not going to get in the way of an open discussion with someone who knows more than most of us about the Panopticon project.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-03-2005, 21:26   #17
Resident Waffler

I look forward to reading this thread when I get back at the end of the week and hope that there will be some good answers.

I don't think the grant money can be spent on anything other than a work of art to tie in with the other panopticons such as Burnely and Rawtenstall but I don't see why it has to be on the Coppice. I think I'd be willing to put up with something somewhere else which would have the advantages of being easily accessible by all and easily visible and reasonably vandal proof and requiring little or no maintenance.

Any chance of something which fits that bill?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 23:00   #18
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Has everyone seen this on the Panopticon website?
Old 27-03-2005, 23:09   #19
Resident Waffler

Quote:
The furrows have been designed to catch rainwater, which will form small ribbons of standing water during winter months

That statement alone shows a total lack of understanding of Lancashire weather.

It will not merely collect rainwater in the winter months. It will not merely collect "small ribbons" of water. What about when it chucks it down for days on end? What about the soggy wet horrible summers like we had last year? Will there be any drainage at all? How deep are these furrows and how deep will the water become? Has the possibility of a child drowning in the stagnant water been considered? The safety aspect alone is one for concern.

And please, please, please not more trees. We've already got trees which make the Coppice look alien to those of us who remember it in pre-tree days.

I would be happy with a refurbishment of the monument and shelter and leave the rest alone.

Old 27-03-2005, 23:14   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Have you read the rest of the site. I wondered what a panopticon was, here it tells us.
Old 27-03-2005, 23:19   #21
Resident Waffler

Well there you go:

Quote:
Panopticons is an ambitious four-year project to create six new architect-designed landmarks for East Lancashire – one in each district. They will take the form of shelters, viewing platforms or beacons and will be built on high-point sites on key routes around the East Lancashire Regional Park, commanding stunning views

We'll have a shelter please. A nice big one so when it chucks buckets down up there we'll all be able to keep nice and dry.

Old 27-03-2005, 23:20   #22
Give, give, give member

[QUOTE=Busman747]Sorry Garinda but if you check, you will find that she has only one post to her name and that is in the "intro" thread! I took the liberty of moving her comments to the "General Chat" thread so that more members were likely to read her comments and reply to them.

l just meant that Ms. Knight's name had come up in other threads recently on the same subject, which did become a bit personal even though as a recent columnist in The Accrington Observer she has made her public profile open to discussion.

[Off thread l know but re: art's in Hyndburn, she should be congratulated for helping to bring theatre to the Borough that was a lot more interesting than the usual second-rate tribute bands, and Cockney has beens that we are now being offered at the Civic Theatre.]

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 23:30   #23
Resident Waffler

Unfortunately someone in the public eye connected with a controversial project does tend to draw a bit of flak. I'm sure we'll gladly praise her where praise is due. It's just this panopticon business which a lot of us are none too keen on and her name and email address were put forward as the person to contact if we wanted to make our views known.

So often we seem to be faced with nameless "powers that be" who do things which we grumble about afterwards. It would be much nicer if we could have something the majority of us could feel happy with and have no need to grumble about afterwards.

Main requirements I feel should be:

No destruction of well loved areas.
Little or no maintenance.
Safety.
Access for all.

Old 27-03-2005, 23:47   #24
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busman747
If any member has questions that they would like answered on the Panopticon project, please do so here and Gayle Night will reply next Monday evening onwards.......
Having taken the liberty to move Miss Nights post to a new thread so that more members of this site would see it, wouldn’t it be appropriate for people to discuss their own issues on other threads and leave this one for its intended purpose of asking sensible questions for Miss Night to answer.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 23:52   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Personally I am hoping that she will start her own thread.
Old 28-03-2005, 00:04   #26
Member.

On Behalf of Gayle Night - 28-03-2005 00:52 - yeah right

Whoops.... Upset you did I, Three Karma points off for asking that you show someone who had the bottle to come and answer your questions. Well there lies a truth. It’s not really about Gayle Night or the Panopticon project. IT’S ABOUT YOU AND YOUR ******* OPINONS isn't it. Get a grip. Yeah your views are important, but so are those of the good people of this site. So pack it in and let people ask there questions..........Thank you.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 28-03-2005, 00:08   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I am confused, who was that aimed at Doug
Old 28-03-2005, 00:11   #28
Resident Waffler

The reason this thread was started was because Ms Knight asked people to post questions etc in her intro thread and that is contrary to forum rules so Busman set this one up so we could all post our questions in here.

Incidentally her name was spelt incorrectly when he did that. It should be Knight, not Night.

I'm just wondering to myself now if it might not have been best to get opinions from the inhabitants of Accy (not just people on here but by newspaper polls etc) before anyone was commissioned to come up with any designs at all.

I don't think it's a vendetta against Ms Knight. she's just the spokesperson and so is on the receiving end of our comments. If she posts in other threads which have notjing to do with this subject I don't think she'll be treated any differently than any other AccyWeb member. At least not by me. If she has time to join us here more regularly I hope she enjoys it.

Old 28-03-2005, 00:13   #29
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I am confused, who was that aimed at Doug
Neil my friend it certainly was not aimed at you and I also hope she starts her own thread.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 28-03-2005, 00:17   #30
Resident Waffler

Well this was better than risk having her post removed for being out of context and not being read by everyone wasn't it? She simply posted in the wrong place and left the forum before anyone could ask her to post in here. Not being a moderator, and not wanting her to lose the opportunity she'd asked for, Busman started this thread on her behalf with the best of intentions.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..