Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-03-2005, 08:47   #166
God Member

Re: On Behalf of Gayle Night

It's a pity that Mr Beard doesn't want to join in the discussion, but perhaps not really that surprising.
Speaking personally, I would be very interested to encounter Councillor Britcliffe on the forum, but I don't think that he would dare show his face. I am not at all sure that the Accyweb.com server could cope if he did decide to show up. "The Night of the Long Knives", would appear as a boy scout jamboree by comparison.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 29-03-2005 at 08:50.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-03-2005, 08:49   #167
God Member

Do you ever sleep?

If you can suggest a better way of reaching the public then please advise me. It has been a regular feature in the local newspapers, we have put up exhibitions around the area, we have held four public meetings and it has been posted on every website we are aware of. As you say, the poll may not represent the entire population but it is the entire population that we have been able to reach.

As I said at the beginning I will state facts as I know them. Clearly, I have been given incorrect information about the name of the hill. I think this is a slightly irrelevant point to continue to raise when clearly the Coppice can be seen from a higher point.

The subject of the trenches is a different matter. The overheads that I have don't show those two front trenches which as you point out the circle goes over. A few things occur to me, either those trenches have been filled in more recently than your picture was taken, or the circle goes over them as you indicate. Yes, it needs to be looked into but also we need to assess how valuable two trenches are to the over all scheme. This is not me suggesting we ride roughshod over the views of people who want to keep the existing trenches at all - just that it clearly needs to be investigated further and I will return to this subject at a later point when I have more information available.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 08:50   #168
Give, give, give member

To add to the gravitas of Acrylic-Bob's standing as a scholar/ art historian and researcher, perhaps l should post a photo of one of his paintings that he emailed me.

Perhaps he should have 'researched' me more before deciding to share his atristic talent with me?

Last edited by garinda; 29-03-2005 at 17:43. Reason: Badly researched punctuation!
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 08:52   #169
Give, give, give member

Excuse me if l'm wrong again, but weren't the meeting's open to the public and advertised as such before hand?
We only have ourselves to blame if we didn't attend.

Old 29-03-2005, 09:04   #170
God Member

Please don't misunderstand Gayle. I am not attacking your personal integrity, I don't know you well enough to do that, and probably wouldn't even if I did.

But do you not see how this is starting to come across? And can you see why some of us have grave misgivings over this proposal? If you as the spokesperson for the proposal are given dodgy information about the physical facts of the proposal, then how can we be sure that you and we are not also be given equally dodgy iformation on the sources of funding and possible benefits accruing?

Public participation in anything is difficult to encourage - ask the government for the truth of that statement.

As to whether I sleep....hmmm....I will have to get back to you on that one.
Old 29-03-2005, 09:29   #171
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I get the feeling that the project is still at an early stage with many of the details still to be ironed out. Maybe that is why some facts are not available.
Old 29-03-2005, 09:31   #172
God Member

Year three is an early stage?
Old 29-03-2005, 09:37   #173
I am Banned

hi gayle

i would like to say thankyoufor your time and patience with people like me :-)

i would also like to explain what i meant by not everyone knows about this scheme and how to contact you and i will give a short but more detailed explination

i for example would never have known about the sceme if i hadnt joined accy web as i dont buy local papers and the only real interest i have had in the past in the councils activitys was how much my next council tax bill is going to be

i am not saying the scheme didnt try its best to inform us ime sure a few years ago the local paper would be the ideal place to reach everybody but as a whole i would say more people now buy national newspapers and use the internet to get information like i do , ime not saying no one buys the observer or telegraph as obviously we still have enough paper boys/girls and they would be out of work if they wernt selling

as for holding meetings i think the poor attendace at them dosnt reflect lack of interest but shows more that people are too busy with other things like work and homelife like the kids , housework and shopping etc

maybe door to door surveys cold have been used ( if not used that is )as they would have reached more of the population of accy and got a better picture of those for or against the project

as for starting that other poll it was started more as to satisfy my curiousity if people would accept it somewhere else and i didnt want to clutter up your thread with it although as you can see reading it i edited it as the night went along as thoughts came into my head and ime sorry if you thought i was hijacking this thread it wasnt meant to appear tha way

anyway thanx again for taking your time to answer questions as you have read other people are better armed with knowledge than me to come up with the realy good questions , ime just a bog standard bloke who wants his coppice left alone
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 09:44   #174
Give, give, give member

l think the cost of doing a door -to-door survey would cost more than the whole thing, who would pay for it?

There has to be a limit to how much say we have, otherwise nothing would ever get done, good or bad.

Old 29-03-2005, 09:48   #175
I am Banned

door to door serveys cant cost that much ime always getting people at my door asking questions abouut one thing or another

anyways it was just an idea
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 10:16   #176
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
The project as a whole is three years into but Hyndburn is really only about three months into it. The new design only arrived at the MPA two weeks ago so that is at an extremely early stage.

I'm not saying that there aren't things that still need to be sorted out as there are and we are trying to do that. As with anything you can only go off the information that you have at hand at any particular time - if information contradicts that then it is wise to say so and not bullishly stick to what was originally said. I agree your information contradicts the information I had so I am looking into it.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 10:54   #177
God Member

A couple of ideas from Chav's poll thread which might be missed...

Whinney Hill has existing road access.

Land at the top of Kings Highway has road access and is an abandoned quarry owned by Ibstock Ltd.

The area around Bedlam also has existing road access.

All have extensive views over the area and are roughly as high and as prominent as the Coppice.
If spectacular views are what is required, there is an old Victorian quarry just at the foot of Hameldon Hill off Kings Highway. The area is already popular with walkers. and it has the added benefit of of having several spoil mounds already in situ, it also has a Victorian "Holy" Well - the May Road Well- and is close to a medieval highway -Kings Highway. It is also close to an area where neolithic artefacts have been uncovered- lots of History. It is also situated between two large reservoirs. On a clear day you can see the coast at Blackpool and a large part of the Lake District as well as views to Darwen Tower and Haslingden.
Old 29-03-2005, 11:21   #178
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Yes. Have you ever seen them move faster
Old 29-03-2005, 11:55   #179
God Member

Don't do a door to door sevey that would cost. Put it in the hands of a bunch of college students that are doing sociology or something, ask them kindly if they could take this on and come back with there findings. Could be quite a project for them to do in assignments and stuff

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 13:02   #180
Senior Member+

Called my Dad this morning, about 10 your time and he was amazed that he had to hear from America what was going on in his town, he does not buy the Observer because his quote " all it does is report what the council wants us to hear" and when I told him what it was, after laughing he said well how about sorting out Burnley rd first as I can't go shopping at the moment, in other words most of the people of Accy have other things more mundane everyday things to think about then art on the coppice. I think this may account for a low turn out.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..