Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 10:10   #1

Peel Park School

Next year will see the 100th anniversay of the opening of the school. Is anything being done to celebrate this? I have emailed the school but have not had any response. Many of us have a great deal to thank the school for. As well as my brother and sister, my parents were also pupils there.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-09-2009, 10:26   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Peel Park School

That's a shame Balbus, doesn't have to be anything too grand does it. Maybe an open day with a small exhibition of past photos linked with a free glass of wine and small snacks.

Sure the current pupils would enjoy being involved too ... small commemorative poster or summat like that.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 15:30   #3
God Member

My daughter goes to that school and I haven't heard anything mentioned as yet, maybe its too soon for them to plan anything yet. The school rarely misses an opportunity to raise funds for the school so you never know.
Old 01-09-2009, 15:36   #4
God Member

My children go to this school.... and I've heard nothing yet.
Doesn't mean it won't happen tho, they have events for lots of different things, can't imagine them missing out on celebrating this!
Old 01-09-2009, 15:48   #5
Resting in Peace

Feel you are both probably correct here. Was openened on the 24th August, 1910 ... with a gold key. Wonder if they still hold it ? Cost was £17,000 ..

Feels like 100 years since I was last there, and not the 55 years ...

Still, would have been polite to have answered Balbus in some way.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 15:56   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
My daughter goes to that school and I haven't heard anything mentioned as yet, maybe its too soon for them to plan anything yet. The school rarely misses an opportunity to raise funds for the school so you never know.
Likewise.

And agree they wont miss the opportunity to raise funds.
Old 01-09-2009, 20:25   #7
Senior Member+

I called in to see them in June. They told me that there were plans being made, by the PTA I think.I had been in the hall and seen the hobnours boards, which mention some Accrington Grammar School lads I am aware of. I propose to tell the AGS ex-PPers about the celebrations on the Old Boys website which will be starting up soon ( I will be telling Accyweb) From memory, the first name on the boards was that of the late Robert Rush.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 16:10   #8
God Member

Centenary

Just an update

The school would love ideas or memrobilia from 1910
Old 19-10-2009, 19:26   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyLass28 View Post

The school would love ideas or memrobilia from 1910
Give em Katex's address. They will be chuffed to bits to have one of the first pupils back
Old 20-10-2009, 10:56   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Give em Katex's address. They will be chuffed to bits to have one of the first pupils back

You so want her to come n slap you huh
Old 21-10-2009, 23:07   #11
Senior Member+

I remember Peel Park
Throwing stones in the dark
Mr Hinchcliffe on the football pitch
Miss Howarth what a bitch
Over Pendle on a trip
Pop and sandwiches
Oh what a laugh
I remember Peel Park
Your first snog in the dark
Those were days at Peel Park!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2009, 12:17   #12

My Grandad was one of the first pupils. He walked it up to the new school from Cambridge St Church - as that was the school at the time.
He died a bit ago but I remember him telling me all about it. Been trying to research the history of it all - so has my sister - we are not sure how old my Grandad was at the time (Clifford Wilkinson) if anyone knows the details that would be great...ta very muchly XX
Gingerninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..