Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By cashman
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 1 Post By Exile on Spencer St
  • 1 Post By Jimmy Clitheroe
  • 1 Post By Gremlin
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-04-2020, 13:52   #1

Profiteering from the Crisis

Much has been made of those who stocked up on toilet paper, hand sanitiser etc hoping to turn a quick profit but they pale into insignificance compared to our major supermarket chains. 'All offers are suspended to prevent panic buying and hoarding' - very convenient, making a £40 basket of shopping now a £60 one... a 50% increase in profits at a stroke with everyone now just happy to be able to buy stuff at any cost.
Jimmy Clitheroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-04-2020, 13:58   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Profiteering from the Crisis

many are suspended jimmy, though not all in ours. to be honest i can understand that suspension, theres some right mingebags i saw buying more than enough of things i saw it myself and slagged em off.
Old 29-04-2020, 15:35   #3
Beacon of light

The supermarkets have explained it in this way....
all buy one get one free have been discontinued as have the usual promotions...after all, promotions are to get you to buy...to part with hard earned cash.
The supermarkets did not need to offer inducement to buy....people rushed to panic buy stuff that they probably would not use, and I bet there was lots of stuff founf its way into bins because it did not get used by its best before date.

speaking for us...we have bought nothing other than what we would eat...we have wasted nothing...there were somethings that we could not buy because they we unavailable...we did without these.
And we are still here.

If you feel that the supermarket you use is profiteering, then take your custom elsewhere.
Lidl and Aldi do not seem to have inflated their prices.
I can't speak for the others as we rarely use them anymore.
pifco likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2020, 18:12   #4
God Member

Those special ‘offers’ are not always what they seem. They are often paid for by the suppliers, under pressure from the supermarkets, to reduce their ‘cost prices’ to retain prominent spots in the aisles.
But, according to my personal shopper, there are still lots of things marked down in the ‘poison counter’.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 01:29   #5

Funnily enough, 24 roll packs of Asda's own brand toilet roll are actually 50p cheaper than normal.
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2020, 08:57   #6
God Member

nothing wrong in anyone making a profit. profiteering is something else however. if anyone feels that supermarkets are doing the latter there are plenty of alternatives on a street nearer to where you live.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 22:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
nothing wrong in anyone making a profit. profiteering is something else however. if anyone feels that supermarkets are doing the latter there are plenty of alternatives on a street nearer to where you live.
Nowt wrong with making profit - world wouldn't go round without some incentive but a hefty hike in real terms over a short period, especially while many are suffering financially does seem a bit excessive. Of course we had the damned idiots stocking up like a nuclear Winter is on the way but that has subsided (with many said idiots homes full of stuff they'll never use) and I've seen no indication of prices returning to their previous levels. Can understand there may be some increased costs for them but the major supermarket chains have all been recording some astounding profits which can't all be down to the initial hoarders spree.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:32   #8
God Member

if an item costs more to manufacture then its obvious you have to pay more. imagine though that some of the stuff that has gone up has been stuck in warehouses somewhere b put up for sale.efore the present rises for new stuff has been
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:03   #9
Senior Member+

My favourite tipple is Glayva and I have a treble (at least) at bedtime. My partners daughter does all our shopping because I'm on the 12 week isolation rule.
Last two weeks at Morrisons Todmorden store she bought an £18 quid bottle and got a second for £12. I didn't check anything else.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:50   #10

Can only go on our regular shop and we have found around a 40 to 50% increase and that seems regardless of whether we use Morrison's, Asda, Tesco, Sainsbury's.
Old 09-05-2020, 12:42   #11
Beacon of light

I haven't noticed anything like that, but we mainly shop at Aldi.
We have probably spent less during the lockdown....well on food anyway.
monkey hanger likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..