Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3580Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-04-2016, 22:08   #316
Beacon of light

Re: Referendum is a load of crap.!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Congratulations you have been nominated for the AccyWeb 2016 most butch award.

To receive your exclusive pre-stained jockey shorts all you have to do is display your bank details below or vote stay in, in the forthcoming referendum.
Ah....you have clocked my bristly chin then.....it is an age thing!
No Spanx Less, I do not require any prestained shorts of any description(I am sure I could find you a pair if you really wanted me to).......I definitely will NOT be voting to stay in the EU.....in fact I would walk over hot coals to vote OUT!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-04-2016, 22:53   #317
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysgirl View Post
Maybe you haven't been listening to UK media discussions about how awful it would be if Donald Trump got into power. Some Americans might think we were poking our noses into their business.
I haven't seen or heard where our Head of State, or even DC, has made any statements about the US presidential elections, or Obama's failure to bring in his much vaunted Gun Law.
As to Trump, we may consider his rhetoric to be inflationary, but at least he hasn't been the subject of inquiry into real estate dealings like his probable opponent in the US election.
It is pure arrogance to interfere in another sovereign states political affairs - but of course he has been doing quite a lot of that.
As for his threat that the UK would be way down the list for agreeing trade deals if we leave the EU - well he won't be the President for much longer and when the US decides to use military power in the ME or anywhere else, who will he expect to be the first country to support them - yes of course he will turn to the UK.

Last edited by Barrie Yates; 22-04-2016 at 23:00.
Barrie Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2016, 23:38   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
W
Try looking at post 135 on this thread….long before you deigned us with your thoughts
Thanks for looking thro' the thread for the link. Much appreciated. When I woke up to the fact that the Referendum vote was nearly here I did head for the accy web to see what was what. It's a long thread and I missed reading that page with the link.
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 00:15   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
No one really knows the answer to your question.....they can only guesstimate.....and that is part of the difficulty. Those who want to remain will magnify every possible difficulty to enhance their viewpoint.....they will not tell you that they don't honestly know.

Leaving will create a lot of work for the politicians......work that they would be much happier not to have to be involved with. They want to take the line of least resistance.
Whatever happened to the 'can do' attitude?
I will tell you, it was removed by the EU.
I don't have my ear to the ground anymore Margaret. These days I’m more interested in having my nose to the computer researching family history but I do sometimes catch a news nippet - but, as you say, you can’t trust politicians and commentators not to skew information to their own advantage. I will be voting as I think it important that there’s a good turn out at the polling stations.

I heard it mentioned that the alternative to the EU was the World Trade Organisation, which drew a snort of derision from another commentator who said it was a toothless old dog - maybe we should kick that into touch as well and save some more money.
Lucysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 03:43   #320
God Member

obama says we have to stay in the EU

his last bit of advice to the UK was to let more refugees in

clearly a president with his finger on the UK pulse lmao

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 07:09   #321
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucysgirl View Post

I heard it mentioned that the alternative to the EU was the World Trade Organisation, which drew a snort of derision from another commentator who said it was a toothless old dog - maybe we should kick that into touch as well and save some more money.
The snort of derision was probably from someone who thinks that the EU is the way to go. Someone who has a vested interest in the UK staying in.
If the UK decide to leave the EU, then it will give the nod to,other member states to follow suit.
Who is to say that a more equitable allegiance might be formed with other like minded states.
It is for sure that the EU has no intention of reforming in the way that our current PM hopes.....and they have admitted as much.
The EU need us to stay in more than we need to be there.

Will the WTO meddle in our affairs? Tell us we have to take in people from its member countries?
Will it saddle us with legislation which will tie up our traders in red tape?
If the answers to those questions are 'NO' then it would be better than what we have now.
Less and cashman like this.
Old 23-04-2016, 08:11   #322
Beacon of light

My dear old dad used to put me off the things he thought were no good for me by being derisory about them. I could not see it back then because I did not have enough life experience....but it was a very effective way of shutting down any discussion on such things. Derision works very well unless you can see it as a psychological ploy.
Old 23-04-2016, 08:19   #323
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Video - Australian Senator James Paterson makes passionate case for Brexit | Politics | News | Daily Express Same applies here as far as i'm concerned, sod all to do wi anyone else. but it just goes to show what the news dont tell yeh,
Less and Margaret Pilkington like this.
Old 23-04-2016, 08:47   #324
Beacon of light

This young man has articulated brilliantly all of the things i have been saying in my posts throughout this thread...along with others of a similar mind set.
I agree with every word he says. Thanks Cashy for posting that. It made my day(Ok I know it is relatively early but it did)
Old 23-04-2016, 09:10   #325
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

No hype, no exaggeration, just his honest opinion and if the rest of the Commonwealth share such views about us we wouldn't have to fear a lack of trade, we would get an economical boost.

We would be foolish to remain 'in' when 'out' offers us such a welcoming attitude.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 16:31   #326
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Just to keep the momentum going, here's another couple of reasons to "Do one!" & get out of the EU.

Record levels of mass migration from Europe damaging UK - leaked Government report says | UK | News | Daily Express

EU members draw up plans for United States of Europe | UK | News | Daily Express

Oh & A Happy St.Georges day(for yesterday) to all you English out there, or not as the case was in barmy Bristol:-

Anger as council officials say UK city is ?too multicultural? to celebrate St George?s Day | UK | News | Daily Express
Old 24-04-2016, 18:05   #327
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
It is pure arrogance to interfere in another sovereign states political affairs - but of course he has been doing quite a lot of that.
Really! So Operation Iraqi Freedom was what? Self defense maybe? Fear that Iraq would use WMDs? And the Americans don't need your military help. They need your moral support. Moral support from Blair ... I'll have to think about that one. The Coalition of the Willing needed a couple of big names, other than Tonga, Singapore, Honduras, and the two-man contingent from Iceland. The Aussies can always be counted on; but having the Brits onside was a definite boost ... added some legitimacy to an otherwise indefensible cluster [deleted]
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 18:20   #328
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

There was a guy from the Financial Times on Andrew Marr today, he said this 5-10 years is a matter of trying to frighten people nothing else, apparently Trade Deals "Always" take a hell of a long time to be agreed. So the sooner his plane touches down in the USA the better imho
Old 24-04-2016, 18:26   #329
Beacon of light

Barack Obama is almost at the end of his term in office.....Who knows what will happen when the next President is elected.
He is not in a position to say...and did it not strike you that all his pontifications just seemed a bit erm...stage managed...scripted?
There is a picture of President Obama taking questions in a gathering of young people....what do you think is missing?
There was not one white face in the picture....might this have been stage managed too.
OK...I am off now to take another anti-cynical pill
Old 25-04-2016, 00:35   #330
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Who knows what will happen when the next President is elected.
Just about everybody. She has made public statements very similar to those of President Obama.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..