Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree53Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-04-2014, 11:40   #46
God Member

Re: Religious Imposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Would the red herring be one of them 3 fishes,by any chance?
And for my next trick, I need five loaves, three fishes, and five thousand volunteers from the audience.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-04-2014, 11:42   #47
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Not sure about that one Ma, other religions have had quite a few prods, pokes & digs in various threads within these very pages over the years.
There may have been pokes and prods at the religions.....but not perhaps at the person who professes that religion.
The PC brigade seems to largely have put paid to that.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 11:43   #48
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Here's the UK confirmation.

https://www.gov.uk/trading-hours-for-retailers-the-law

And if you think it annoying in UK you should pay the Fatherland a visit, you'd be spitting feathers about their recalcitrance to trade on Sundays, let alone "Holy days".
Old 21-04-2014, 11:51   #49
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The PC brigade seems to largely have put paid to that.
Ain't got no truck with the "how very dare you on behalf of some perceived sleight or offence to something/one else crowd" they deserve as much if not more ridicule & disdain than most. If the offended infringed party feel so aggrieved & upset about it let them step up & fight their case themselves.
Old 21-04-2014, 12:02   #50
Beacon of light

It is seen today as something which is akin to racism......and as such, people button it rather than speak out.

I have absolutely no problem with shop workers getting a day off from the daily grind...whether it be for religious reasons or not. I can factor it into my life.And those who cannot do this have my deepest sympathy.
Old 21-04-2014, 13:55   #51
Senior Member+

Quote:
Don't you think that those who work in the supermarkets want to spend a little time with their families?
I don't exactly agree with that. They have plenty of staff that have varying diversity of religions and beliefs(being agnostic I don't care either way) . For example. Around Eid we are at our busiest at work and Muslims don't have Eid as a bank holiday. Only a couple of staff can be off at the same time around October to December, so Muslims should get their holiday request in a.s.a.p in order to get the time off. However they are usually allowed a slight bending of the rules for a day so they can make it up in overtime.....xmas all have to work at least one of the days that are not bank holidays and we can book the rest. It is not busy and that insures that our workplace has a certain amount of people to cover the work. Flipside of this is we have a diversity of staff with different beliefs so Christians can choose to book most of Xmas but have to work at least one day. But in the end Christians have it better.

Also I guess supermarket staff also get good holidays. My workplace gives them out in hours. So we can take a few hours here and there if we choose. So I think it is around 197 hours. In my opinion that is a good amount of holidays you can have with your family if you do choose to do so.

Last edited by Restless; 21-04-2014 at 13:57.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 14:00   #52
Senior Member+

Quote:
.now so many people want to deny Christianity. Get rid of it and what may take its place.......and then what impositions may be put into place.
Get rid of all religion and you get rid of impositions that are already in place in all countries dominated by any religion.

Quote:
I think that in general the world(or at least my bit of it) was a better place.
How can the world in general be a better place for a shop closing for any reason? To me this makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
any update on the jesus situation has he re-risen yet ?
Apparently he is still upset that pubs no longer close for a few hours in the afternoon

Last edited by Restless; 21-04-2014 at 14:10.
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 14:18   #53

And how would you go about getting rid of all religion? Feed them to the lions?

Last edited by Michael1954; 21-04-2014 at 14:21.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 14:28   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
Well. I wouldn't. The task is far too arduous for me to take on.
cashman likes this.
Old 21-04-2014, 14:52   #55
Beacon of light

Right Rob......getting rid of religion.....religion is the basis of morality, ethics and law.
You are right when you say that it is beyond you to get rid of religion.
And if you get rid of religion what will take its place?
As for my comment on the world being a better place(or my bit of it) back when the shops closed midweek and on a Saturday afternoon......that has been taken out of context.
What was meant by that(but completely escaped you - maybe it was the way I put it) is that back then there was a gentler pace of life....and life seemed less complicated.
Perhaps you had to live it to understand what I meant.

Yes the shops do have a diversity of staff so,it should, theoretically at least, be easy to get hands to man the pumps on a religious holiday......I have been there.....and believe me even though Muslims do not celebrate our Christmas.....none of them were keen to work it.

Shopping can be done now 24 hrs a day...online. And you can shop in person every day of the year except Christmas Day and Easter Day.......and even on those days you can usually find a spar or other convenience store open.....so really, there is not much in the way of restriction.
Old 21-04-2014, 15:06   #56

This is all a storm in a tea cup. Today Tesco and other supermarkets are open again, and I have got some more milk and toilet rolls in, so all is well with the world, although I have to admit that rationing toilet paper yesterday was a bit hit and miss.

Last edited by Michael1954; 21-04-2014 at 15:14.
Old 21-04-2014, 15:19   #57
Beacon of light

It isn't even a storm...just an April shower.
Old 21-04-2014, 15:24   #58

Quote:
It isn't even a storm...just an April shower.
Which brings the flowers that bloom in May. And if it's raining, have no regrets. It isn't raining rain, you know, it's raining violets.
Old 21-04-2014, 15:24   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
cant the bloomin RSPCA would put a stop to it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 15:31   #60
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
cant the bloomin RSPCA would put a stop to it
They'd have to stock up on indigestion tablets, too many Chinkys, Indians & fatty white meat certainly wouldn't do them Lions any good!
Eric likes this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..