Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'?
No. 24 77.42%
Yes. 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 11:09   #481
Give, give, give member

Re: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
That's what I said "can't be bothered Argueing!" and it seems you are hell bent on starting argueing again - so I won't take you up on it! Argueing and discussing something are two different things.

I don't do any illegal drugs at all. Don't even smoke for 3 1/2 years. Coffee and tea are my addiction with a bit of alcohol every now and again.
Perhaps you should take a chill pill.

Accrington Web
Old 03-09-2012, 15:31   #482
God Member

Quote:
That's what I said "can't be bothered Argueing!" and it seems you are hell bent on starting argueing again - so I won't take you up on it! Argueing and discussing something are two different things.

I don't do any illegal drugs at all. Don't even smoke for 3 1/2 years. Coffee and tea are my addiction with a bit of alcohol every now and again.
What you do in your personl life is irrelevant, and it adds nothing to this argument ... or to any serious general discussion. This is a debate, for the most part serious; any apologia would be best saved for your autobiography. Which, by the way, I will read if you send me a complimentary copy
Old 03-09-2012, 15:43   #483
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I think perhaps the prospect of breaking the law as it stands can affect the enjoyment of drug use on some occasions.
On very rare occasions I am tempted towards committing murder, would making murder legal enhance or detract from my enjoyment whilst performing that act?
Old 03-09-2012, 17:47   #484
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
On very rare occasions I am tempted towards committing murder, would making murder legal enhance or detract from my enjoyment whilst performing that act?
Think it may depend on who's neck you had your hands round at that time Less
Old 03-09-2012, 18:23   #485
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I have had the occasional pang of guilt, whilst attacking my victim.

This might very well not happen, if it wasn't against the law.

Old 03-09-2012, 18:27   #486
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I have had the occasional pang of guilt, whilst attacking my victim.

This might very well not happen, if it wasn't against the law.

Are you sure it doesn't work the other way - the danger heightening the thrill of the moment...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-09-2012, 18:36   #487
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Are you sure it doesn't work the other way - the danger heightening the thrill of the moment...
I don't get a thrill.

I just listen to the voices in my head.

Telling me to do it...because they so obviously desereve it, for what they've done.

Old 03-09-2012, 18:47   #488
God Member

Quote:
I don't get a thrill.

I just listen to the voices in my head.

Telling me to do it...because they so obviously desereve it, for what they've done.

I know just what you mean - I was brought up to do what I was told to do to, sort of becomes second-nature after a while, doesn't it?

Better for someone else to go to the fiery furnace - I can always be absolved of my sins by saying a number of rosaries -there's something so soothing about repeating the same words over and over and over...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 03-09-2012, 19:02   #489
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I was brought up to do what I was told to do to, sort of becomes second-nature after a while, doesn't it?
I was raised by my parents believing that you shouldn't always do, what you're told to do.

'Listen to those voices in your head.'

'Bangin' on about 'The right thing to do'.'

'As they're very rarely wrong, son.'

Old 03-09-2012, 19:11   #490
God Member

Quote:
I was raised by my parents believing that you shouldn't always do, what you're told to do.

'Listen to those voices in your head.'

'Bangin' on about 'The right thing to do'.'

'As they're very rarely wrong, son.'

Idem.

Aha! Just as long as you don't cry wolf too often

I believe this was from the "Voices in my head" album - you may remember it

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 04-09-2012, 09:18   #491

Having been away I have to say I'm sorry I missed this one and most has probably been said but I am actually in favour of at least de-criminalising the use of drugs. I have often said that there should be no interference with anyone's personal lifestyle choices as long as they harm no-one else.
Before I get shot down by people shouting, "What about the drug addicts who steal and rob to fuel the habit", I would say this: a few years ago the then chief constable of Middlesborough, who had one of the most efficient anti-drug squads in the country, said that there was no hard and fast proof that this was the case. He said that the vast majority of drug users who stole and robbed were thieves and robbers before they ever started using drugs.
I have known a lot of drug users over the years and I have found exactly the same. I have known addicts who would never steal from anyone and the ones who did were all into crime prior to any involvement with the drug scene.
I believe, perhaps wrongly because you can only judge anything by your own experience, that the connection between crime and drugs is more a created thing by the powers that be because they wish to stop drug use as it is not in their interests. Most drug users are only "criminals" because society (or authority) has made their use illegal.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:25   #492
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseboy View Post
Having been away I have to say I'm sorry I missed this one and most has probably been said but I am actually in favour of at least de-criminalising the use of drugs. I have often said that there should be no interference with anyone's personal lifestyle choices as long as they harm no-one else.
Before I get shot down by people shouting, "What about the drug addicts who steal and rob to fuel the habit", I would say this: a few years ago the then chief constable of Middlesborough, who had one of the most efficient anti-drug squads in the country, said that there was no hard and fast proof that this was the case. He said that the vast majority of drug users who stole and robbed were thieves and robbers before they ever started using drugs.
I have known a lot of drug users over the years and I have found exactly the same. I have known addicts who would never steal from anyone and the ones who did were all into crime prior to any involvement with the drug scene.
I believe, perhaps wrongly because you can only judge anything by your own experience, that the connection between crime and drugs is more a created thing by the powers that be because they wish to stop drug use as it is not in their interests. Most drug users are only "criminals" because society (or authority) has made their use illegal.
So how did yeh miss this one? the thread was started in March, unless yeh had a long holiday? Or perhaps yeh been having a toot as well?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:50   #493
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
So how did yeh miss this one? the thread was started in March, unless yeh had a long holiday? Or perhaps yeh been having a toot as well?
Don't think the Houseboy is very observant cashy
Old 04-09-2012, 09:58   #494
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseboy View Post
If you smoke the odd bit of weed you probably aren't going to break the law, to allow you to do this.

However, if you're a seventeen year old teenager, funding a heroin habit, I think you'll find there aren't that many job opportunities that will pay you enough to fund your addiction, without resorting to other money making activities.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:05   #495
Give, give, give member

Quote:
If you smoke the odd bit of weed you probably aren't going to break the law, to allow you to do this.

However, if you're a seventeen year old teenager, funding a heroin habit, I think you'll find there aren't that many job opportunities that will pay you enough to fund your addiction, without resorting to other money making activities.

Plus, the young people I worked with, who were forced into becoming sex workers to fund their addictions to drugs like heroin and crack cocaine, weren't in any fit state to hold down jobs which required them to work regular hours.

Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..