Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'?
No. 24 77.42%
Yes. 7 22.58%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 17:53   #451
Resting in Peace

Re: Should we 'legalise illegal drugs'? - Poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Nah. Doubt he would drink that buckfast. Actually I have only seen that once. In the shop on Milnshaw Lane. Too expensive for what it is. Waste of money
Try it with lucozade, it'll curl your toes up
Old 02-09-2012, 17:56   #452
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I considered quoting rindy's post, but, who cares? Just don't Bogart that joint.
Old 02-09-2012, 18:08   #453
God Member

Quote:
It is one of those whiskies that you can drink straight and not wretch. Very smooth and sweet.
I'm still trying to work out the relationship between Beverley and Geese but if you like a smooth whiskey try a dram of this:

Greenore 8 Year Old
70cl / 40%
Irish Single Grain Whiskey
A gold medal-winner at the International Wine & Spirits Competition, this unique concoction is a 100% Single Grain Irish whiskey, from the multi-award-winning Cooley distillery in Dundalk.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
Old 02-09-2012, 18:09   #454
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Angels and ministers of grace With names like those, I would have to have sex with my sister (fortunately, I'm an only chile), eat mayonaise sandwiches, listen to C&W, and vote Republican.

However, I will state that my position on this question comes from a firm belief that a "war on drugs" with all it's regressive laws will not solve the problems associated with drugs. In fact, it exacerbates them; and it dooms thousands in Mexico, Columbia, Honduras etc. As with my opposition to capital punishment, it is based on a belief that harsh laws do not work. If capital punishment did act as a deterrent, I would personally volunteer to pull the switch, or the trigger. And if I could be convinced that wars on drugs would end the miseries and pain associated with them, I would fully support those laws. Lidices don't work ... never have worked, never will work.
The law in the U.K. as it already stands, regarding possession, can no way be described as being 'harsh', as it is now.

I've known hundreds who used/use them, but don't personally know anyone who's been punished by the law for taking them.

How would total decriminalisation benefit anyone?

As the law's turned a blind eye, at the same time usage here has also increased massively, and hence there's been relatively more misery caused, for those whose addiction does spiral out of control.

This is one thing we'll never agree on, I'm afraid. As I firmly believe decriminalisation will lead to more misery, for some, than there is already.

Last edited by garinda; 02-09-2012 at 18:13.
Old 02-09-2012, 18:10   #455
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Whisky with coke or irn bru? You've got me retching now at the very thought of it. It's like putting tomato sauce on fillet steak.

As my old feller used to say, "what a waste of good whisky".
Ketchup on steak Reminds me of a Yogi Bear cartoon:

The only thing to take with your whisky is your own saliva

And those of you who like whisky, or love it, should try some of this stuff:

Forty Creek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has my imprimatur.
Old 02-09-2012, 18:16   #456
Resting in Peace

Eric Canadian Club with ginger was my tipple at one time, just the odd one at the end of the night, prefered a pint of Lion or Thwaites Mild misen
Old 02-09-2012, 18:21   #457
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The law in the U.K. as it already stands, regarding possession, can no way be described as being 'harsh', as it is now.

I've known hundreds who used/use them, but don't personally know anyone who's been punished by the law for taking them.

How would toral decriminalisation benefit anyone?

As the law's turned a blind eye, at the same time usage here has also increased massively, and hence there's been relatively more misery caused, for those whose addiction does spiral out of control.

This is one thing we'll never agree on, I'm afraid. As I firmly believe decriminalisation will lead to more misery, for some, than there is already.
I think that one thing we could agree on is that whatever is being done now to address the problem ... and I do agree there is a massive problem of drug use in the "developed" nations ... is not working. In fact, the problems are getting worse. Look at Mexico ... but not close up, it ain't a safe place to go any more. Governments are approaching the problem in the same way that Douglas Haig approached that of breaking the German line. More of the same, but with bigger guns and more ammo.
Old 02-09-2012, 18:27   #458
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Eric Canadian Club with ginger was my tipple at one time, just the odd one at the end of the night, prefered a pint of Lion or Thwaites Mild misen
CC ain't bad ... but to truly appreciate the best that rye can give, it has to be Forty Creek, Crown Royal, or Alberta Springs Sipping Whisky. If I ever get back over that side of the pond, I'll smuggle a bunch in ... that will make it an illegal drug, eh

Oh, and Susie, before you pounce, I always split my infinitives when I'm with Yoda.
Old 02-09-2012, 18:48   #459
Senior Member+

Who are those questions aimed at?
Old 02-09-2012, 18:54   #460
Resting In Peace

Quote:
CC ain't bad ... but to truly appreciate the best that rye can give, it has to be Forty Creek, Crown Royal, or Alberta Springs Sipping Whisky. If I ever get back over that side of the pond, I'll smuggle a bunch in ... that will make it an illegal drug, eh

Oh, and Susie, before you pounce, I always split my infinitives when I'm with Yoda.
On this one I wouldn't dream of it... the other alternatives just don't sound right... Yoda or no Yoda!
Old 02-09-2012, 20:32   #461
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I think that one thing we could agree on is that whatever is being done now to address the problem ... and I do agree there is a massive problem of drug use in the "developed" nations ... is not working. In fact, the problems are getting worse. Look at Mexico ... but not close up, it ain't a safe place to go any more. Governments are approaching the problem in the same way that Douglas Haig approached that of breaking the German line. More of the same, but with bigger guns and more ammo.
In my opinion there's a direct correlation between the relatively new blind-eye approach to possession, as far as the law is concerned in the U.K., and the fact that there has been a massive increase in the number of people using recreational drugs, and the ease which they can now be accessed.

I can only see the associated problems some people suffer, increasing, if there was a total decriminalisation of these substances.

Getting to know young kids, who sell their bodies on the street to fund their habit, and not anything posted here, has made me believe that any lessening in numbers taking these drugs, means less misery for the unlucky few risk takers.

Old 02-09-2012, 20:40   #462
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Who are those questions aimed at?
I'm sorry, I really don't know who your question is addressed to.

In the event it was to myself, I thought I'd made that perfectly clear, in the opening sentence.

Quote:
A question to those who use recreational drugs.

Old 02-09-2012, 23:11   #463
Senior Member+

Quote:
In the event it was to myself

Yeah I was meant to quote you.

Quote:
I thought I'd made that perfectly clear, in the opening sentence.
Really. Do you have to be so Obstinate all the time?

You must of had some members in mind posting these questions.

Im curious now though. Will any drug users come forward and answer garinda's questions?
Old 03-09-2012, 00:17   #464
Senior Member+

Well the questions a duffer for starters:

"Should we legalise illegal drugs?" Fact is we have nowt to do with it and the politicianst are the ones who are able to make this decision in the long run. As far as I am concerned I don't care really as there are too many who don't want drugs legalised and I can't be bothrered argueing anymore.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:11   #465
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Well the questions a duffer for starters:

"Should we legalise illegal drugs?" Fact is we have nowt to do with it and the politicianst are the ones who are able to make this decision in the long run. As far as I am concerned I don't care really as there are too many who don't want drugs legalised and I can't be bothrered argueing anymore.

This thread was only started, so a poll coild be attached, so we could gauge just how much support there is here for the total decriminalisation of recreational drugs, after you, yourself, raised the subject, in this thread you started...

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ugs-55943.html

Happily it seems there's very little support, for the legalisation of recreational drugs.

Closed Thread

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..