Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-07-2009, 20:28   #106
God Member

Re: swine flu case confirmed from hyndburn park school!

just been to pick the tablets up, he's on 60mg of Tamiflu twice a day for 5 days, he has to stay in for 5 days ....they can only call it 'suspected' now they will NEVER be able to confirm it anymore because they have stopped doing the swab test, they can only go off the symptoms, i had to go through 3 different doctors to get the Tamiflu for him
Old 16-07-2009, 20:37   #107
Senior Member+

Yeah well if i get swine flu, im not taking no medicine. Its not been properly tested yet .. apart from tamiflu
Nickelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2009, 20:38   #108
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelson View Post
Yeah well if i get swine flu, im not taking no medicine. Its not been properly tested yet .. apart from tamiflu
You won't get better without the medication, thought it was Tamiflu they were prescribing
Old 16-07-2009, 20:53   #109
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
You won't get better without the medication

I don't think that's quite true, Tamiflu, hopefully, alleviates the worst symptoms but it's not a cure. The body's natural defences get rid of the virus eventually. If the condition has been made less severe by the medication the body has more reserves of strength to call on and is able to overcome the virus. Anyone who has ever had flu knows how weak it leaves you but few of those people will have had treatment, before this outbreak, yet have still survived.

I would ask for Tamiflu, if I got it, because I have a heart and lung problem. Twenty years ago, when I was very fit, I wouldn't have bothered.
Old 18-07-2009, 22:05   #110
Senior Member+

Well, Kels has been ill since Monday with what is "not" swine flu and has now lost 11lbs in weight, she has actually started eating again as of yesterday and although she still looks rather crap and is very weak I think we are over the worst of it. I would bet my life that she has actually had it or a variant of it this week and would caution you all against accepting a doctor's opinion on this especially if your Doctor is located anywhere near Abbey St in Accy.
Old 18-07-2009, 22:20   #111
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Kels has been given antibiotics that would seem to indicate it's just a virus rather than full on swine flu.
Antibiotics are useless against viruses ... work on bacterial infections

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Well, Kels has been ill since Monday with what is "not" swine flu and has now lost 11lbs in weight, she has actually started eating again as of yesterday and although she still looks rather crap and is very weak I think we are over the worst of it. I would bet my life that she has actually had it or a variant of it this week and would caution you all against accepting a doctor's opinion on this especially if your Doctor is located anywhere near Abbey St in Accy.
Poor lass, glad she is finally showing some improvement Lindsay. Would guess you are correct and that it was some sort of flu.

Problem with this 'self-diagnosis' on the NHS web is that it can just be a heavy cold which, let's face it, can make you feel extremely poorly. Tamiflu can only be used once in a lifetime, and if you were ever to get a confirmed flu, cannot be prescribed again.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 22:49   #112
God Member

Glad Kels seems to be on the mend Linds
Old 18-07-2009, 23:10   #113
God Member

I hold the belief that you should find out about any drug prescribed before taking it.
Whether or not you take it is your choice - I think that your choice should be an informed choice.

The active ingredient in Tamilflu is oseltamivir phosphate.
This is produced from shikimic acid extracted from the chinese herb known as star anise.
The pharmacutical companies have bought so much of it that the price of star anise has shot through the roof.

Shikimic Acid, China Shikimic Acid products- China Shikimic Acid Manufacturer, supplier

It is in other plant sources but is most concentrated in star anise.
Other plant sources are being investigated -

New source of Tamiflu ingredient could boost production

Because of this shortage they have developed a way of fermenting it from E-coli

Metabolic engineering for microbial production of ...[Metab Eng. 2003] - PubMed Result

There are side effects which some people may just write off as the effects of the virus they are attempting to get rid of.
Oseltamivir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Japan and South Korea do not use it on persons under age 19.

The ingredients are-
Black iron oxide (E172)
Croscarmellose Sodium
FD and C Blue 2 (indigo carmine, E132)
Gelatin
Oseltamivir
Povidone
Pregelatinised maize starch
Red iron oxide (E172)
Shellac
Sodium Stearyl Fumarate
Talc
Titanium dioxide (E171)
Yellow iron oxide (E172)

If it has help Kelsey getter better more quickly then it was worth it, but then how do you decide whether it helped maybe she has a good immune system and didn't need it.

Glad she seems to past the worst of it now

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 23:14   #114
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
If it has help Kelsey getter better more quickly then it was worth it, but then how do you decide whether it helped maybe she has a good immune system and didn't need it.
Don't think she was prescribed it Margaret ... just antibiotics !!
Old 18-07-2009, 23:23   #115
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Don't think she was prescribed it Margaret ... just antibiotics !!
...words fail me......
I am just thankful that I am surviving without using the 'expertise' of any doc.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2009, 23:39   #116
Resting in Peace

Quote:
...words fail me......
I am just thankful that I am surviving without using the 'expertise' of any doc.
In this case, I am inclined to agree with you Margaret and I think Lindsay would too, according to her post.
Old 19-07-2009, 09:50   #117
Resting in Peace

Quote:
...words fail me......
I'm actually lucky really I haven't had any bad experiences with doctors, I can only think that without them I wouldn't be here today. I was once interviewed on Radio Lancashire by Joe Wilson the day before I launched the Hyndburn Branch of the NAC, he asked me about the consultants within this health authority, I just said that my consultant (Dr Ormerod, now professor) walks on water as far as I was concerned. Some days later I received a letter from Dr Ormerod, thanking me for the unsolicited praise, but that it had caused him problem, that evening when he got home from work his wife had 5 loaves and three fishes waiting so he could make the tea for the village He also has a wicked sense of humor as well as a bedside manner
Old 19-07-2009, 11:19   #118
God Member

Quote:
The ingredients are-
Black iron oxide (E172)
Croscarmellose Sodium
FD and C Blue 2 (indigo carmine, E132)
Gelatin
Oseltamivir
Povidone
Pregelatinised maize starch
Red iron oxide (E172)
Shellac
Sodium Stearyl Fumarate
Talc
Titanium dioxide (E171)
Yellow iron oxide (E172)
jesus christ i hope my lads dont have to have this because all those E numbers will have them hyper in no time

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 11:37   #119
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
jesus christ i hope my lads dont have to have this because all those E numbers will have them hyper in no time
Think they would give my asthma some gip to accyman
Old 19-07-2009, 11:39   #120
God Member

well the Tamiflu tablets have helped Reece, he's even back to arguing with me now

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..