Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2014, 07:56   #121

Re: That's HOT

On a serious note though I do feel so sorry for all the people who are being affected by the awful fires raging in parts of South Australia and Victoria. Absolutely dreadful situations - and the worst part of it is that arson is the cause of more than a few of them. Deliberately lighting fires that have the potential to cause loss of life, not to mention property, is the lowest of the low.

The arsonists are out to destroy while so many courageous people put their lives at risk to fight the fires. Much property has been destroyed, thankfully no lives have been lost up to now in this latest lot of fires - lets hope this continues to be the case.

Last edited by dotti34; 10-02-2014 at 07:58.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-02-2014, 19:45   #122

Wow! talk about extremes - 43 degrees on Wednesday followed by rain, rain, glorious rain, bucketing down.......more rain in a short while than we normally get in all of February apparently. Flooding here and there. Some roads were closed yesterday because of it.

The farmers are happy - the grape-growers not!
Old 13-02-2014, 19:52   #123
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
the grape-growers not!
No great loss, eh.

Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 07:26   #124

That's a bit cruel, Eric, ha ha. Have to stick up for Australian wines being as how I live a half-hour drive from the Barossa Valley, about 90 minutes from McLaren Flat and about 40 minutes from the Clare Valley, places where so much of the great Australian wines come from....but mainly sticking up for them because they are luverly.......speaking of which - well I'll fill up my glass and say 'Cheers!!!!'
Turtle likes this.
Old 28-02-2014, 13:48   #125

This morning I drove by a half dozen or so youngsters waiting for their school bus. They ranged in ages from 7 to maybe 10. Every one of them were sitting in the hard, frozen snow bank playing about. Their knapsacks were left on the sidewalk, it was minus 18 degrees C, minus 30 with the windchill, and there they were, boys and girls, messing about in the snow. Granted, they all were wearing snow suits and well kitted out with hats and mitts. But I thought, they are true Canadians, not like me. I feel like such a wimp! Bring on Spring, I say.
Eric likes this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 13:54   #126
Beacon of light

It was frosty this morning here, but nothing at all like your cold stuff.
We have had a very spring like morning, with blue skies and whispy clouds...the cloud cover has increased over the last hour or so...but the day has definitely had a Spring like feel to it.
Eric and Turtle like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 14:36   #127
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
This morning I drove by a half dozen or so youngsters waiting for their school bus. They ranged in ages from 7 to maybe 10. Every one of them were sitting in the hard, frozen snow bank playing about. Their knapsacks were left on the sidewalk, it was minus 18 degrees C, minus 30 with the windchill, and there they were, boys and girls, messing about in the snow. Granted, they all were wearing snow suits and well kitted out with hats and mitts. But I thought, they are true Canadians, not like me. I feel like such a wimp! Bring on Spring, I say.
Usually, winter and I get along quite well ... after all I spent 18 years in Saskatchewan ... (I'm still a die-hard fan of the Sakskatchewan Roughriders) I've woken up to temps of -50+ in Ile-a-la-Crosse, worked on the rigs in Northern Alberta, driven the ice road across Lake Athabasca, and curled on natural ice at -30. But this winter has been relentlessly rotten, just downright nasty, even though the kids love it. But the signs of spring are there ... the Jays played the Phillies in the Grapefruit League yesterday Winter clothing is on sale at Trailhead. The potholes are all over the damned streets. Spring will be here soon ... but, according to Environment Canada, don't hold your breath ... March is shaping up to be colder than usual.
Old 28-02-2014, 14:39   #128
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It was frosty this morning here, but nothing at all like your cold stuff.
We have had a very spring like morning, with blue skies and whispy clouds...the cloud cover has increased over the last hour or so...but the day has definitely had a Spring like feel to it.
Shaddup.
Old 28-02-2014, 14:50   #129
Beacon of light

And Eric. to add insult to injury we are having a lovely home made cottage pie for tea.
It is in the oven now...and the aroma is.......well, divine would cover it I guess.
Old 28-02-2014, 14:59   #130

Ooh.... Can I come over for a visit! That sounds like major comfort food to me - Yummmmm!
Old 28-02-2014, 15:03   #131
Beacon of light

It is....and easy to prepare.
I made it last night just in case I had a jaunt out to Manchester.
Old 28-02-2014, 15:03   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Usually, winter and I get along quite well ... after all I spent 18 years in Saskatchewan ... (I'm still a die-hard fan of the Sakskatchewan Roughriders) I've woken up to temps of -50+ in Ile-a-la-Crosse, worked on the rigs in Northern Alberta, driven the ice road across Lake Athabasca, and curled on natural ice at -30. But this winter has been relentlessly rotten, just downright nasty, even though the kids love it. But the signs of spring are there ... the Jays played the Phillies in the Grapefruit League yesterday Winter clothing is on sale at Trailhead. The potholes are all over the damned streets. Spring will be here soon ... but, according to Environment Canada, don't hold your breath ... March is shaping up to be colder than usual.
Thanks for the encouraging words, Eric. I too am trying really hard to see positive signs! I did hear sparrows chirping on the roof of a store (does that count?). But yes, I hear March isn't starting out too good. (I remember in years gone by, sunbathing on the patio for March break! Ok, that was maybe 35 years ago, I know better than to sunbathe now )
Old 28-02-2014, 15:06   #133

My turn to cook this weekend, and I've chosen to do my fish stew. In keeping with the thread, I intend to warm up our bellies by putting in a goodly dollop of Barbados HOT Sauce.
Old 28-02-2014, 15:06   #134
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
And Eric. to add insult to injury we are having a lovely home made cottage pie for tea.
It is in the oven now...and the aroma is.......well, divine would cover it I guess.
That won't work today ... I have a nice big salmon ready to cook ... and I caught it myself ... so there
Turtle likes this.
Old 28-02-2014, 15:09   #135
Beacon of light

I hope you are going to share that with Teela and Clint.(and the other fur babies)

I can't eat salmon......I am allergic to it. But I hope you enjoy it.
I am sure it will taste so much better knowing that you caught it in the icy waters where you are(just to keep on a temperature type thing for the thread).

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..