Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree89Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2014, 19:21   #151
Beacon of light

Re: That's HOT

Oh...and according to the predictions we are set to have temperatures that reach 16-18 degrees C over the weekend...warmer than the med! Sunshine for the South East.
We are going to have rain....but it will be warm rain!
Turtle likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-03-2014, 19:22   #152
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Gosh Eric, that is warm enough for you hardy Canucks to get your bathers on!
Funny you should mention that. My neighbours just got back from visiting their daughter in Thunder Bay (NW Ontario, on Lake Superior) where it gets even colder than here ... they are thinking of having a bbq tomorrow, as it might get up as high as 2c. No foreign muck; just steaks for the adults and pucks for the kids.
Turtle likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 22:31   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Funny you should mention that. My neighbours just got back from visiting their daughter in Thunder Bay (NW Ontario, on Lake Superior) where it gets even colder than here ... they are thinking of having a bbq tomorrow, as it might get up as high as 2c. No foreign muck; just steaks for the adults and pucks for the kids.
Kudos to them for keeping their BBQ clear - mine is still buried in 4 feet of snow and ice
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 12:08   #154
God Member

We've been basking in temps of +2 for the last couple of days ... there is light at the end of the tunnel ... unfortunately it's a [deleted] train.

Alerts: Kingston, Ontario: Kingston - Odessa - Frontenac Islands - The Weather Network
Old 15-03-2014, 01:53   #155
Senior Member+

There is a light Eric but it's a bit south, they say it's going to be 90 here on Sunday.
Eric likes this.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 14:00   #156
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
(I remember in years gone by, sunbathing on the patio for March break! Ok, that was maybe 35 years ago, I know better than to sunbathe now )
No sunbathing this year ... but the bright side is we had only one major storm, and there were sweet times at the Little Cat.

Maple Madness at Little Cataraqui Creek Conservation Area CRCA

And as we wait, and wait, and wait for signs of spring, we can always curl up with a depressing poem:

There's a certain slant of light, by Emily Dickinson

But the temp is up to -14.
Turtle likes this.

Last edited by Eric; 17-03-2014 at 14:02.
Old 17-03-2014, 14:47   #157
Beacon of light

I like the Emily Dickinson Poem Eric.
minus 14.....brrr!
It is very grey here and threatening to rain, but it is 55 degrees F....and I have a line of washing out blowing and one eye on the clouds ready to rush out and bring it in.

Last week when we went on the bus to Southport the hedges were just brown twigs...this week there is the hint of green about them.
We are not going to Southport this weekend...I think it will be Halifax instead...Halifax Yorkshire that is, not your neck of the woods Eric.(I know it isn't really that close to you)
Old 17-03-2014, 16:08   #158
God Member

Quote:
I like the Emily Dickinson Poem Eric.
minus 14.....brrr!
It is very grey here and threatening to rain, but it is 55 degrees F....and I have a line of washing out blowing and one eye on the clouds ready to rush out and bring it in.

Last week when we went on the bus to Southport the hedges were just brown twigs...this week there is the hint of green about them.
We are not going to Southport this weekend...I think it will be Halifax instead...Halifax Yorkshire that is, not your neck of the woods Eric.(I know it isn't really that close to you)
Hey ... it's up to -9 There are only 4 weeks left in the regular NHL season ... Baseball will start soon (the Grapefruit League play has been going on for a couple of weeks) ... local garages are having sales on winter tires ... Trailhead has sales on winter coats and boots (wise shoppers take advantage of these deals, working on the principle that there is a good chance winter will be back in a few months.) So the signs of spring are all there. Sorry to hear you get stuck with Halifax, Yorkshire; Halifax, Nova Scotia is a great city.

Glad you like the Dickinson poem ... In my opinion, no poet, of any age or period comes up with more striking images than she does. Here's my favorite: "The clouds, like listless elephants,/Horizons straggled down."
Old 17-03-2014, 16:32   #159
Beacon of light

If we do go to Halifax (Yorks) I will post some pics.
Old 17-03-2014, 18:22   #160
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
I think it will be Halifax instead...Halifax Yorkshire that is
So you got your passport then? And are all your jags up to date?
Old 17-03-2014, 19:01   #161
I am Banned

Quote:
If we do go to Halifax (Yorks) I will post some pics.
Drop into the Three Pigeons on South Parade, a great Art Deco heritage pub, nothing like that in Canada.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-22274181
Turtle likes this.

Last edited by DtheP47; 17-03-2014 at 19:03. Reason: Found the link..
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 19:02   #162
Beacon of light

No passport Son,just a bus pass. I am half Yorkshire anyway. My mother hailed from Sheffield.......so they let me into Yorkshire without any problems...it's himself I am bothered about. He was born in LIVERPOOL 71 years ago today!
So they might leave him at the border
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 17-03-2014, 19:05   #163
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Drop into the Three Pigeons on South Parade, a great Art Deco heritage pub, nothing like that in Canada.
Well, this will be my first foray to Halifax for many a long year(more than 40 but less than 50)...so this visit will be a 'recce'. At some point over the year I am going to be out and about with just my camera and enough money to buy a butty and a drink...and I really like Art Deco...so that will be on my list.
Old 17-03-2014, 21:10   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
No sunbathing this year ... but the bright side is we had only one major storm, and there were sweet times at the Little Cat.

Maple Madness at Little Cataraqui Creek Conservation Area CRCA

And as we wait, and wait, and wait for signs of spring, we can always curl up with a depressing poem:

There's a certain slant of light, by Emily Dickinson

But the temp is up to -14.
Yes, that's a wonderful poem. It so well expresses the deep despair that often comes with winter.
On a brighter note, I heard robins singing today. Poor shivering blighters!
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 21:15   #165
I am Banned

Quote:
Well, this will be my first foray to Halifax for many a long year(more than 40 but less than 50)...so this visit will be a 'recce'. At some point over the year I am going to be out and about with just my camera and enough money to buy a butty and a drink...and I really like Art Deco...so that will be on my list.
It's abour a 10 minute walk from the bus station but the Piece Hall and the Children's Museum are on the way not to mention the Old Post Office for "err" refreshments too.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..