Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2006, 21:58   #106
Resident Waffler

Re: The Last Straw

I was just thinking to myself that if every muslim woman decided to wear the full plain black burkha how many shops would go out of business. Just look at all the shops in Accy and Blackburn which sell the beautiful materials for making the salwar kameez. I do hope it doesn't become the norm for these beautiful garments to disappear and be replaced by black, black, black and more black. What a sad loss it would be. Mind you it must make life easier for the wearer. No more wondering what to wear each day - just pick out the black outfit, or the other black outfit.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-10-2006, 22:43   #107
Give, give, give member

This illustration shows how men in the company of Muhammad used to be veiled as well. Funny how that isn't practiced much nowadays.

I used to have Saudi customers, whose wives even had their veiled eye slits covered by a lace visor. That was very hard to communicate with.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 22:58   #108
Resident Waffler

I can only actually see one veiled face in that pic. When we were in the desert I veiled my face too but that was to protect me from the sand.

Old 15-10-2006, 23:13   #109
Give, give, give member

I found this, which I found quite interesting.

http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~elguindi/Vei...ivateWomen.htm

Old 15-10-2006, 23:37   #110
God Member

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

That is an article in the daily mail yesterday. A woman wore the burqa for a day. Read it and see what you think.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 23:44   #111
Give, give, give member

I think I'm going to start donning the robes of a monk, and wear sunglasses with it.

Old 15-10-2006, 23:48   #112
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I can only actually see one veiled face in that pic.
And it looks like it was added afterwards. Look how straight it is along the bottom.
Old 15-10-2006, 23:50   #113
Senior Member+

Think you'll have to wear that get up at the next meet Rindy.Especially if you end up going around Ossie after.It will go down well in the bay horse
Old 15-10-2006, 23:51   #114
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthead
Think you'll have to wear that get up at the next meet Rindy.Especially if you end up going around Ossie after.It will go down well in the bay horse
It'll shield me from Peter Britcliffe's gaze as well.

Old 15-10-2006, 23:53   #115
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
And it looks like it was added afterwards. Look how straight it is along the bottom.
Well it wasn't me with the Tippex, just trying to score a cheap point, or otherwise I would have done them all one, slightly more dashingly well designed at that.

Old 15-10-2006, 23:54   #116
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
It'll shield me from Peter Britcliffe's gays as well.
Is that not what you meant Rindy
Old 15-10-2006, 23:57   #117
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthead
Is that not what you meant Rindy
Certainly not, and don't you expect no tip the next time you are ferrying the Tory top brass about.

Old 16-10-2006, 00:55   #118
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Certainly not, and don't you expect no tip the next time you are ferrying the Tory top brass about.
when you refer to the Tory top brass are you going back to your days in London and using this definition ....

'Brass' for hooker comes from cockney rhyming slang. Brass is short for a 'brass rubber' which rhymes with scrubber, another term for a prostitute.

just curious
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2006, 07:51   #119
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

That is an article in the daily mail yesterday. A woman wore the burqa for a day. Read it and see what you think.
That's quite an interesting article but I wish I could find the one I read a little while ago which was actually a muslim woman trying out the same experiment. She normally wore western dress but had a friend who wore the niqab so decided to try it just as an experiament. One of her main observations (which this reporter also mentioned) was that friends no longer recognised her if she passed them in the street. She said "Hi" to her next door neighbour and he looked beyond her looking for a familiar face.

I'm so used to coming across people in town when I go out and stopping for a bit of a chat. If you don't recognise your friends as you float past each other swathed in black such simple pleasures will never exist. It must be a lonely life. I certainly don't believe that I could cope with that.

I can see what the reporter is saying that it can be a backlash against the mode of dress seen as western culture which is against muslim standards. (The outfits described by the mother of a friend of mine as a "topless backless evening strap".) Being LDS I have certain dress standards too and it's sometimes hard to find clothes in the shops which are suitable. We adapt by layering or making some adjustments at home with our sewing machines and needles and cotton. It can be done. There's a sort of joke about the "Milly, Molly Mormon" woman dressed like something out of "Little House on the Prairie" but I don't think we're that bad. You'd hardly notice us except that our hemlines may be a little lower, our necklines a little higher and our shoulders covered.

I was also thinking about the Amish in the USA. They have their own mode of dress and shun most modern devices and appliances. They co-exist alongside others yet keep themselves very much to themselves, more so than muslims living in this country, and yet there seems to be no antagonism towards them.

Old 16-10-2006, 11:08   #120
Senior Member+

There you go Willow.

http://www.theasiannews.co.uk/herita..._the_veil.html

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..