Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-06-2021, 10:11   #31
God Member

Re: The Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
As I said in another post it is so easy to misconstrue what is said in writing.

The internet can be a very difficult medium to get across the finer points of a discussion, because you cannot see the person you are talking to...gauge their expressions, body language etc.
I truly think that Monkey Hanger was referring to the current woke attitudes of some people.
But then again I could be wrong on that too.
no you are not wrong and at least talking face to face you do not have to get your spelling and punctuation correct.
cashman and DaveinGermany like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-06-2021, 10:37   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

those who critisize spelling and punctuation are nothing but PLEBS, in my view, well worth ignoring.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 18-06-2021, 12:00   #33
Beacon of light

I am not sure where to ask this sporting question....it is really about football....there is football in the Olympics isn’t there?

Anyway, I am going to ask the gents on the forum how they feel about the increasing number of female pundits, commentators on football?
I believe that women can do anything, but it seems strange to see these women talking about football.
Do you chaps who are avid fans take their commentary seriously...or do you see it as part of the tokenism of wokeness?
From my point of view I do not like sport....any sport, and I freely admit that football is something that I do not understand at all.
I know there has been an upsurge in women’s teams.....but where have these new women commentators come from?
What are their credentials for sitting alongside the likes of Lineker(though I hate that man with a passion) Carragher, Wright.
They played top class football so have some validity.

And to those women out there who love football, play football or just support a team.....I am sorry if this question offends you...it is not meant to.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 12:06   #34
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
those who critisize spelling and punctuation are nothing but PLEBS, in my view, well worth ignoring.
I would not have an issue with poor spelling, but there have been a few posts recently about how a post can be misinterpreted.
Punctuation has a part to play in that....how you punctuate a sentence can totally alter what it means.
For example : ‘let’s eat, Grandma’ that sentence is telling Grandma it is time to eat.
Now, try this version : let’s eat Grandma.....this implies you are going to eat Grandma.
Cashy, I know it seems irrelevant, but if you want a post to be understood rather than misunderstood...punctuation is the way.
And it does not have to be perfect....it is a long time since you and I did English Grammar at school....so we are allowed to slip up from time to time.
cashman, dotti34 and monkey hanger like this.
Old 18-06-2021, 12:07   #35
Beacon of light

As for being a pleb...I am a pleb....an ordinary person of the lower class!
And proud of it
Old 18-06-2021, 18:08   #36
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post

Actually Cashers old chap, us British use the word "Criticise", none of your Amercanisms here if you please my dear fellow.

Yours, a pleb who needs ignoring.

cashman, dotti34 and taddy like this.
Old 18-06-2021, 18:17   #37
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Anyway, I am going to ask the gents on the forum how they feel about the increasing number of female pundits, commentators on football?

Here in Germany there are a few women commentators doing the coverage of both male & female footy matches, I can take them or leave them. As long as the coverage is accurate & clear that's fine, but I think a few of them try to hard to be on a par with their male colleagues & it just comes across wrong.

They should do their own thing in their own style & I'm pretty sure they'll soon establish themselves in their own right.
Old 18-06-2021, 18:48   #38
Beacon of light

as I said previously...I do beleive that women can do anything....but I have to say that I find it uncomfortable to watch the women reporting from matches as I do not really know how they came to be where they are in the commentary stakes....it isn't as if I recognise them as having played the game(though, maybe they have)...whereas I know the names of the male football players and so I take what they say more seriously and Yes son, they do seem to be trying very hard to be up with the boys.

I just don't 'get it'.
Old 18-06-2021, 23:06   #39

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
I am not sure where to ask this sporting question....it is really about football....there is football in the Olympics isn’t there?

I believe that women can do anything, but it seems strange to see these women talking about football.
Do you chaps who are avid fans take their commentary seriously...or do you see it as part of the tokenism of wokeness?
From my point of view I do not like sport....any sport, and I freely admit that football is something that I do not understand at all.
I know there has been an upsurge in women’s teams.....but where have these new women commentators come from?
What are their credentials for sitting alongside the likes of Lineker(though I hate that man with a passion) Carragher, Wright.
They played top class football so have some validity.

And to those women out there who love football, play football or just support a team.....I am sorry if this question offends you...it is not meant to.
You’ve hit on something here Margaret.

Female pundits have been around for 40+ years…from Billie Jean King talking tennis and Rachel Heyhoe Flint talking cricket in the 70’s and more recently Gabby Logan on football and Claire Balding on the horses. Sue Barker successfully replaced that doyen of sports broadcasting David Coleman on Question of Sport and presented Sports Personality of the Year a few times.

The problem at the moment is the box tickers…all the females I mentioned know their stuff and are good broadcasters, so much so that gender is irrelevant.

What is happening now is our current ‘woke’ box ticking producers in an attempt at showing that they are inclusive, are throwing females who obviously know their stuff into hi-profile positions but, like bad teachers, they cannot communicate and it’s sticking out like a sore thumb.

And if I posted something like this on twitter I’d be cancelled
Old 18-06-2021, 23:45   #40

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1254652]
Punctuation has a part to play in that....how you punctuate a sentence can totally alter what it means. For example : ‘let’s eat, Grandma’ that sentence is telling Grandma it is time to eat. Now, try this version : let’s eat Grandma.....this implies you are going to eat Grandma.

Margaret, that is so funny. You are definitely right, punctuation (or lack of it) can completely change the meaning of a sentence, as you have just shown. Mind you, to eat this grandma would take a few hours of boiling to soften me up first. I’d be more than a bit tough.

It would be a bit of fun to read some more examples. Any out there?
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 05:58   #41

I’m not personally into sport these days (maybe a bit of backyard cricket now and then) and so I don’t listen to many sports’ commentators but when I have, I have to admit I am not that into females talking about the games that have been, or are being, played by blokes. On the other hand, I prefer females commentating on games that are being played by females rather than men doing this. In both these examples it somehow sounds more ‘professional’ and that they do actually know what they are talking about.

I would also rather listen to a weather report from someone who actually knows a lot about meteorological matters, and I must admit I prefer this to be a man. Sorry if I have put the feminine movement back a few years but that’s my opinion.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 07:13   #42
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

[QUOTE=dotti34;1254665]
Quote:
Mind you, to eat this grandma would take a few hours of boiling to soften me up first. I’d be more than a bit tough.

A good hefty tenderizing hammer (a really big one) saves hours of boiling.
Old 19-06-2021, 09:14   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post

The problem at the moment is the box tickers…all the females I mentioned know their stuff and are good broadcasters, so much so that gender is irrelevant.

What is happening now is our current ‘woke’ box ticking producers in an attempt at showing that they are inclusive, are throwing females who obviously know their stuff into hi-profile positions but, like bad teachers, they cannot communicate and it’s sticking out like a sore thumb.

some of the women doing football now are fine. the problem is that they would still be doing it if they were not or replaced by another woman till they eventually got it right. when they did that going round the grounds thing on a sunday in the fa cup there did seem to be more and more women involved in it. do not have any interest in the womens game of any team sports but wonder if there is as big a male imput as there is female in the male game. i know that games at the top of the womens football now have a all female officials and then they cannot wait to promote a token female in the mens game either. when the womens game gets as many playing it and watch it live as the mens one even with the constant publicity it gets, then i hope women commentators are at a minimum instead of looking like a growth industry like it now does.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 11:42   #44
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
You’ve hit on something here Margaret.

Female pundits have been around for 40+ years…from Billie Jean King talking tennis and Rachel Heyhoe Flint talking cricket in the 70’s and more recently Gabby Logan on football and Claire Balding on the horses. Sue Barker successfully replaced that doyen of sports broadcasting David Coleman on Question of Sport and presented Sports Personality of the Year a few times.

I watch a fair bit of horse racing, the pundits seem to be a fifty fifty split of both male and female, they all know far more than I, especially after a race when they can give me very solid reasons for why I shouldn't have backed the horse I did, (I wish they were that forthcoming before I put my money down), however one of the ladies does get a little overexcited now and then, this shows when her voice becomes so shrill it causes feedback in my hearing aids, most uncomfortable.
Fortunately the race commentators still seem to be male dominated I think the masculine tones are a preference in a tense and exciting situation.

Women? Football commentators? pass the smelling salts Grandma, the whalebone in this corset is sticking in my ribs again!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 12:46   #45
Beacon of light

Guinness, I know there have been female sports presenters.....and I get that.
Billie Jean King was eminently suitable for commentating on tennis...she was a great player(or so I am told....I do not do any kind of sport)....Sue Barker too, actually played the game and you knew what her credentials were.
Claire Balding...not sure how she became a commentator on horse racing, but it did not seem at all ‘out of the ordinary’.
Gabby Logan grew up with a footballing father so her exposure to the game was from a young age so she is an honorary Male.

The question I asked was really to do with football.
There seem to be more and more women pundits, commentators, reporters from games.....when it used to be men doing these reports.
Now, I do not watch football....but I know many of the Premier League clubs have women’s teams.....surely, not all of these women have played football....so where do they get their credence from.....and do you men who are avid fans, take them seriously...or do you feel it is just another bit of wokeness....to get women into these posts to tick the equality box?

For the women supporters out there who love the game, I apologise if you consider this a sexist point of view.
monkey hanger likes this.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 19-06-2021 at 12:56.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..